Unfair workplace for mental health

Lucyloo

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 12:59 pm
A close friend of mine is having trouble at work and I am seeking some advice for her. She’s been in her job for a few years now, working different hours every week. Usually around 30. She has recently taken off a week or so out the office due to sickness from tablet side effects. After this, She discovered a message from her boss to an employee saying she has to be careful giving her so many hours as she is unreliable and is on anti depressants. To me, this seems like she is implying she wants to lower her hours due to her being on anti depressants. If they lower her hours now, is this wrong? What should she do?
Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 579 • Replies: 3

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 01:04 pm
@Lucyloo,
If she's in the US, she should be contacting an employment lawyer. Her medical history shouldn't be the subject of non-secure memos, for starters.
Lucyloo

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 01:25 pm
@jespah,
She’s not in the US no sorry, were in UK. She’s feeling sad about it all and we’re just wondering what the next step to take would be! Thank you for replying. I’m glad someone else thinks it’s awful too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 02:00 pm
@Lucyloo,
I'd see what the laws are in the UK. I know from managing other people that in the US you need to be very careful about anything medical related. As a manager I am not supposed to know about an employee's medical condition - if there is a reason someone needs to have a leave of absence for medical reasons - they send the material from the doctor to human resources and from their human resources lets me know what sort of accommodations I need to make. This is to protect the individual and their privacy and also to protect management from appearing to be biased due to their medical condition.

I would imagine the UK would have some laws around that as well - personally I do think it is awful and unprofessional - just simply gossiping about someone's medical issues and even worse to impact their work as a result.
0 Replies