Have I been blacklisted?

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 03:48 pm
A few years ago, I was intent on relocating to another state. I did a phone interview, the manager made the company seem very warm, welcoming, appreciative and professional. I quit my job, which I was at for 15 years and I hated; non stop sexual harassment, bullying, threatening from supervisor about being replaced, etc. I nearly had a nervous breakdown and ended up on anti anxiety meds and antidepressants. I thought this new position would be just what I needed to lift my spirits and get my confidence and self worth back.

I started the new job, and immediately could feel a negative vibe in the department. I tried to ignore it. The manager was not there when I checked in after my HR session so I asked an employee , after introducing myself, if he left an orientation schedule for me. The employee replied “no, just come in around 9 tomorrow”. So I went in a little before 9 and the supervisor scolded me for being “late”, the person who told me to come in at 9 was right there but did not speak up and say she told me to come in at that time. I didn’t want to throw her under the bus, so I just say “sure, sorry” and left it at that.
I had to train for an hour with a person who’s job I may occasionally have to do, but never have done before and the whole time she kept yelling at me to hurry up, she’s really busy, she doesn’t have time for this. I said nothing , thanked her for her time and let it go.

A coworker called the department needing some help, no one wanted to go so I volunteered to go help him. I still at this point didn’t have computer accesss, but was able to do the work he needed, just not enter it. Instead of. A thank you, he belittled me asking why they sent someone who can’t do anything to help. This hurt my feelings, but I let it go.
Someone called out sick for an evening shift and the supervisor stormed in demanding to know what was wrong with the employee, why was she calling out, etc.

Another person who was orienting with me decided to take an impromptu long weekend, apparently cleared it with the manager, who forgot to inform the supervisor, but the supervisor asked me where “bob” was, I said I didn’t know, and she started interrogating me...asking don’t you talk to him (no) he didn’t tell you (no)...later when she found out what happened, she proceeded to reprimand me saying you can’t just take time off when ever you want, you need to formally submit it, blah blah blah, in front of entire department. I was embarrassed because I wasn’t the one doing what she was yelling at me about.

By now, I can see the real culture of the company, how miserable everyone is, and I was having flashbacks to my previous job. I may have developed a little bit of a defensive attitude.......
The next day, a Saturday, I sent the manager an email statin* I had a family emergency and regretfully was resigning my position. I thanked him, etc....I made no mention whatsoever about the rude and unwelcoming treatment I received..

2 years later, I am ready to move back to that area as we bought a house there and plan to retire there . I have been applying for jobs but not getting any real offers. I had 2 interviews and was told I would be getting a call with an offer the following week, but no offer came. I’ve since applied to several other jobs, and am hearing nothing. I’ve had my resume looked at professionally, so I don’t think that is the problem, I 5hink this first employer blacklisted me.
How do I get off the list? Or find out if I am even on the list?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 771 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 04:20 pm
@Needtowork,
Keep looking for that new job.

Nobody is exactly blacklisted, anymore. A company calls for a reference, which you authorized (probably) when you applied. They reply that all they can do is confirm dates of employment. That's kind of a code, but can't be proven.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 04:22 pm
Maybe you could consult a lawyer and see if you have a case to sue one or both of your previous employers.

I have no idea if you would actually have a case, but it couldn't hurt to find out.

I really can't think of any other options for you in the situation that you described. Although perhaps someone else will come along with a better idea.

If there is a blacklist, there are probably other victims that could be found, and perhaps their testimony combined with yours might make for a stronger legal case.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 07:50 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If there is a blacklist, there are probably other victims that could be found, and perhaps their testimony combined with yours might make for a stronger legal case.

Even if there was a blacklist on the OP, the OP made it impossibly easy for her former employer to argue their point in the court of law.

Quote:
The next day, a Saturday, I sent the manager an email statin* I had a family emergency and regretfully was resigning my position. I thanked him, etc....

Taken at face value, the OP seeming left abruptly on false premises (did you have a family emergency... and did you state it out word for word so they could least have some point of believability to the story or they could verify it if they chose to?). I'm also assuming that the OP didn't give the necessary two weeks notice... also burning her remaining bridge to the company in question... and sealing her fate of never working for this company ever again.
Quote:
I made no mention whatsoever about the rude and unwelcoming treatment I received..

No paper trail to indicate the troubles the OP perceived or actually experienced. This will only become a he/she said back and forth. The OP doesn't have much of a leg to stand on... given the lack of paper trail she intentionally failed to leave ... on the basis of not rocking the proverbial boat.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Have I been blacklisted?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:40:46