I had an emotional outburst at my Manager and he used the info against me

Reply Tue 21 May, 2019 10:34 pm
I confronted my Manager about 2 emails he had sent me overnight which had upset me. I ended up yelling and crying and blurted out some information he didn't know about a poor performing employee. We are in the middle of an investigation at the moment because the poor performing employee has made allegations against the whole team. My manager then threw me under the bus and now his allegation has been sent to me in a disciplinary letter. I am a team leader, the poor performer is my staff, so I am entitled to know where she is and what she is doing. Was he right to throw me under the bus when I was highly and visibly upset?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,100 • Replies: 3
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 22 May, 2019 05:28 am
It sounds to me like a different company could benefit from your contributions. I'd consider looking around for a better job.

Don't just take "any old job" in a rush to get out of your current one. Wait and look around for a bit until you find one that's a great opportunity to advance your career.

Once you find that better job, leave this one and don't look back.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 23 May, 2019 06:50 am
Yup - team leaders often get thrown off the bus because owners put too much (false) responsibility on them AND there's conveniently someone to blame (you) when things go awry.

This one poor performer should have been "flagged" long ago - now that person has turned the tables and created chaos. You are caught in the middle.

If you stay with this company, be sure that you have authority to make sure your "team" is made up of only the best people. Including hiring and firing. That's a business secret: surround yourself with people who make you look good.

0 Replies

sherifsaadlaw

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 03:28 am
@bellasmum,
Team lead position comes with many responsibilities. At the same time, you have to handle your team as well as your seniors. Even sometimes you have to shadow your teammates from the manager. So, I would suggest you find some other job and in the meanwhile try to resolve the conflicts with your current company.
0 Replies