New employee at work is making me and other workers feel unconformable

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 04:09 am
So my boss has employed someone new three days ago and already he's starting to make everyone but my boss (I think since he hasn't said anything) unconformable.

I've only know this person for three hours since my shifts aren't that long. He's in his late 20's and everyone else including me is in there mid to late teens (17 to 19).

My problem with him is that he's to forward towards me. For example, I was just working in my usual area and without warning he puts his hand on my shoulder and tells me he was about to help me but I already had it covered. Now if I actually got to know him I'd be fine with that action, but I only met him an hour before that. he keeps going around the work place saying the same phrases like 'money, money, money' or 'team work makes the dream work'. Again this wouldn't be so bad but he's just doing it without context and to himself constantly.

All the other things aren't so bad on there own, but near towards the end of my shift he said how he hates old people (I work at a residential home) and he called them all cunts. He also went up to me after I said I went to my friends house the day prior and said if I do any MD (Again I barley know him).

He also keeps telling the girls I work with that they look older than they look and he keeps asking one of them over and over again whether she'd take him round the town we live in and show him around. Now again I wouldn't think much of it but the people keep coming up to me to say if I get the same creepy vibe and I got to say I do.

I just want help with what to do. Should I tell my boss how creepy I find him or should I just ignore it and see if he settles down a bit first? I also don't want him to get offended say if my boss did fire him since he seems like the kind of person that'd jump me in the street if he thought I was "dissing him".

jespah

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 07:33 am
@Rekt-angled,
Tell your boss, who clearly doesn't know WTF is going on. If you've got an HR department, then tell them, too.

Also, I can't figure out what MD is in the context of your post. Is he asking you if you do drugs, or something?

Tell your boss about the unwelcome touching and this guy dissing elderly people first, as those may be enough. If they aren't, then also mention the inappropriate comments about appearance, and that he seems to be trying to ask one of your coworkers out or at least for something social after hours which is not welcome.

Only mention his muttering to himself as a last resort.

Tell your boss that you also think this guy would retaliate with violence if he found out you were saying anything and demand full cooperation when it comes to your boss never mentioning to this guy that anyone in particular complained.

In fact, it may do better if you didn't do this alone. Can any of your coworkers support this and even offer anecdotes of their own? Particularly the women he's pushing to give him a tour.

Several years ago I worked in a law firm where the clerical staff got a new boss who they all hated. One by one, the secretaries started quitting. The managing partner had become social friends with the clerical boss so he wasn't seeing the problem until finally an African-American secretary quit and specifically told him just how racist the clerical boss really was. Then the clerical boss was shown the door. But that wasn't until something like 6 people had left.

It's expensive to hire and train new staff. It's all mentally and physically draining. But your boss may very well respond to making it clear to him that he can either keep this guy and risk a half a dozen of you walking out, or letting this guy go and keeping the rest of you, and only have to hire one person.
Rekt-angled

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:10 am
@jespah,
Thank you. Just came back from work and he was alright to me today but I have more information.

So the day before last one of the girls from work gave him a lift home just to be kind and nothing more and as he was getting out the car he ask her if he could show her his room, so she told him to **** off. She told her boyfriend this but she told him to do nothing because he seemed like the kind of person that would end up doing something.

Also the girl he was asking to take him for a tour said no and then he went to me and started calling her ditsy.

We also have another girl and at the moment she has a cyst on her face, and he told me that he thought that "he was going to be working with a bunch of hillbillys after seeing her".

And he's supposed to be going out with our bosses son who has a learning difficulty's and he said to the first girl that the only reason he's going out with him is so he's on my bosses good side.

The only problem is at the moment we really need helping hands in the kitchen because my boss is going on holiday tomorrow for a week. So should we all tell our boss after he comes back?

P.S- MD stands for MDMA, which is an illegal drug, I was only using his wording sorry
ehBeth

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:25 am
@Rekt-angled,
Encourage him to focus on his work.

Don't encourage his gossiping. Don't respond to it. Change the topic to something specifically work-related.

If other people come to you to complain about him, encourage them to speak to your employer. Don't encourage gossip at work.

If you have a specific complaint about his interaction with YOU, speak to your employer about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:27 am
@Rekt-angled,
Rekt-angled wrote:
Also the girl he was asking to take him for a tour said no and then he went to me and started calling her ditsy.

that would have been a good point to re-direct his conversation

try to encourage everyone to stay focused on work-only conversation. If he continues to be inappropriate it will become even more obvious and give you something to review with your employer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:28 am
@Rekt-angled,
Rekt-angled wrote:
We also have another girl and at the moment she has a cyst on her face, and he told me that he thought that "he was going to be working with a bunch of hillbillys after seeing her".

it's good that you are documenting this - make sure you are noting dates and times

it will be helpful when you are ready to speak to your employer
Rekt-angled

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 11:53 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you for the support. I do try not to gossip, but when people are coming to me to talk about it, its hard not to get involved.
ehBeth

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 12:03 pm
@Rekt-angled,
I know - it is so hard to stay out of the gossip - but it's worth it.

If the rest of you don't indulge him, his behaviour will either improve (unlikely) or become so obvious that it will be really easy to track/document.
0 Replies