Salammbô

Mathos

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:01 pm
Well, I can assure you Setanta, I am glad I missed that one !

Gene and his buddy Glen, they got me into a scrape or two in those bars a couple of times. Quite amazing what you can use a pool cue for isn't it!

Bed time around the corner, take care Setanta, nice 'chin-wagging' with you!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:02 pm
Be sure to look under the bed for terrorists before you turn in, Boss . . .

Sleep well . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:59 pm
Quote:
to a pond in the middle of no where.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:23 pm
Mathos wrote:
We speak of Texas then Lola, I had the good fortune to spend some time in Plano many years back. Very interesting. All that tumbleweed blowing about though and the scarcity of vegetation, it is certainly a State to enjoy a nice steak though. Dallas was interesting too. They had a Country & Western night in town, (there were many) heard a chap singing some good fun songs. Jerry Jeff Walker, if my memory serves me right, he was good. Is he still about?

Oh I see Mathos. I just noticed this. You mistook Houston (House-ton) in New York City and Houston the city in Texas. Silly you. Soho stands for South of Houston. So North Soho is just South of Houston. For your edification. Not that I think it will help at all.

Or were you just making fun of New Yorkers for their peculiar pronunciation? If so, you'll be sorry.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:24 pm
Anyone who has stayed in this thread for this long is already sorry . . .

Hey . . . you set 'em up, you can't complain if i knock 'em down . . .
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 01:37 am
Sometimes, looking at this world, I make my eyes "gaze far beyond terrestrial space"

"He took the cup, and was carrying it to his lips when a Gaul,... struck him on the shoulder, while in a jovial manner he gave utterance to pleasantries in his native tongue...
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 02:42 pm
Lola wrote:
Mathos wrote:
We speak of Texas then Lola, I had the good fortune to spend some time in Plano many years back. Very interesting. All that tumbleweed blowing about though and the scarcity of vegetation, it is certainly a State to enjoy a nice steak though. Dallas was interesting too. They had a Country & Western night in town, (there were many) heard a chap singing some good fun songs. Jerry Jeff Walker, if my memory serves me right, he was good. Is he still about?

Oh I see Mathos. I just noticed this. You mistook Houston (House-ton) in New York City and Houston the city in Texas. Silly you. Soho stands for South of Houston. So North Soho is just South of Houston. For your edification. Not that I think it will help at all.

Or were you just making fun of New Yorkers for their peculiar pronunciation? If so, you'll be sorry.

Lola, would I make fun of 'native New Yorkers?
I remember being in a burger bar late one night in Harlem, (just for the hell of it) This gentleman in a suit walked in and asked loudly for a 'caaaaaaawfeee' From that moment on I was glued to some of the massive variations in that city. Cosmopolitan? The guys in the leather jackets, black boots with a coloured garter attached, sun glasses, jeans and bandanas, appeared to 'speak in tongues' I could not understand a single word they were on about. So was I equally surprised to find 'Little Italy' and everybody was an Italian on vacation perhaps? It was a little like a fast trip around Europe, Russia, Africa and Vietnam. So, as a resident of Manhattan, are you equipped to tell me exactly what a 'New Yorker is? Question Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 03:08 pm
As a native of New York, who has lived almost his entire life somewhere else, i can tell you that most inhabitants of New York are not native, and most natives of New York live somewhere else.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 03:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
As a native of New York, who has lived almost his entire life somewhere else, i can tell you that most inhabitants of New York are not native, and most natives of New York live somewhere else.

Setanta, you surprise me here, I get the feeling you are saying New York is not a nice place to live !

We know the crime rate has dropped dramatically, {If that is true} and if there are any alternative word expressions for certain crimes, which automatically drop them from the 'totting up bit?'

If New York is not a good place to live, please tell us why?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 03:20 pm
No, i'm not saying that. A quiet neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens is no different than a quiet neighborhood anywhere else. I think many native New Yorkers long to go elsewhere, see other things, do other things. And, of course the Big Apple attracts so many who have no experience of the cosmopolitan life, or who wish for no other life.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 05:17 pm
Pass the bisskitts Alice.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:55 pm
Mathos wrote:
Lola wrote:
Mathos wrote:

Lola, would I make fun of 'native New Yorkers?
I remember being in a burger bar late one night in Harlem, (just for the hell of it) This gentleman in a suit walked in and asked loudly for a 'caaaaaaawfeee' From that moment on I was glued to some of the massive variations in that city. Cosmopolitan? The guys in the leather jackets, black boots with a coloured garter attached, sun glasses, jeans and bandanas, appeared to 'speak in tongues' I could not understand a single word they were on about. So was I equally surprised to find 'Little Italy' and everybody was an Italian on vacation perhaps? It was a little like a fast trip around Europe, Russia, Africa and Vietnam. So, as a resident of Manhattan, are you equipped to tell me exactly what a 'New Yorker is? Question Laughing

Mathos, I do believe you've been to the Hogs and Heffers (pronounced Hay-fers) in the East Village. The ladies dance on the bar counter and throw their bras out to the audience when the night gets really hot down there. Then, if a girl is lucky, she can hitch a ride with a big fat Hell's Angel on his Harley uptown.

Manhattan is my place, even though I wasn't born here. Everybody in the world is here. I've come out on Long Island for the week end and I'm home sick for Manhattan already.

The grocery stores have no fancy food out here. I had to cook my own. Terrible.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:09 pm
I am getting this very weird Mongolian bbq vibe.

I'm pretty sure it's not the medication this time.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:40 am
Quote:
"Let your anger go like a runaway chariot," said Spendius. "Cry, blaspheme, ravage, and slay. Grief is appeased with blood, and since you cannot satisfy your love, feed your hatred: it will sustain you!"
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:52 am
Aah!Lola.

I hope you are recovered.Mucked,watered and foddered as we say in the shires.

You have missed some ace action.

Quite revealing really.

Francis has excelled on Trivia and little Clary is improving by leaps and bounds.

Yeah-Salammbo.Bet you love it.5 years in the making doesn't harmonise with a "I devoured it at a sitting" approach.We are trying,I hope,to enter the mind of Monsieur Flaubert.To grasp at his love of literature.It is an investment for old age and the more you pile up the bank the better.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:54 am
my bank is bulging and getting bigger
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 09:36 am
Lola or Spendius - "Your desire is sacrilege; be satisfied with the knowledge that you possess!"

Would you, in some diverted way, accept this?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:19 am
Francis:-

I wouldn't give it a moment' thought.

Who was it addressed to and I bet they took no notice.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 02:49 pm
"She fell upon her knees placing two fingers against her ears in token of repentance; and crushed by the priest's words, and filled at once with anger against him, with terror and humiliation, she burst into sobs. Schahabarim remained erect, and more insensible than the stones of the terrace. He looked down upon her quivering at his feet, and felt a kind of joy on seeing her suffer for his divinity whom he himself could not wholly embrace. The birds were already singing, a cold wind was blowing, and little clouds were drifting in the paling sky."
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 02:53 pm
"Suddenly he perceived on the horizon, behind Tunis, what looked like slight mists trailing along the ground; then these became a great curtain of dust extending perpendicularly, and, amid the whirlwinds of the thronging mass, dromedaries' heads, lances and shields appeared. It was the army of the Barbarians advancing upon Carthage."

Fear the Barbarians, of any kind...
0 Replies