Salammbô

spendius

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 12:50 pm
Setanta:-

My user name has been mangled and shredded.I don't mind.I rather like it actually.Children very often stick a "y" or an "ie" on the key syllable in someone's name to denote friendship.They do here at any rate.Maybe it isn't an American custom and if it isn't I am sorry for my ignorance of your culture.

I didn't ridicule the Spooner thread.I just tried to raise the game a bit out of respect for a fine old English gentleman.If things come to be accepted as Spoonerisms which are not there is an undermining of language going on.Mangled Words is okay.Most of offerings were not Spoonerisms.There is no argument.I said my piece and it rests there.I try to find Spoonerisms proper for the amusement of threaders but it isn't easy.I suspect easy things.I think they are bad for the soul.Ask a Marine Commander.

As I have explained to your friend we are only getting our seats organised and our fingers flexing.
We don't go in for instant gratification.Have patience.Things might improve.I'm not so bad when you get to know me a bit.You might even come to like me-you never know.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 12:54 pm
Setanta,

Anarchy is simply a game you play, at which the Police can beat you.

Now I can understand your ire towards Spendius, he has this annoying habit of irritating people, I have rebuked him several times. However, I feel senility plays a large part and have taken a more considerate approach to his failings, you may feel obliged to do likewise.

After all education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

By the way Spendius, I just realised, your on during 'pub hours,' has there been a fire? I mean to say, tis of little wonder you be ranting like a dishevelled sot if your in withdrawal. Arrow Free beer over here !
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 12:57 pm
<taking a seat in the gallery>
<getting out the tomato basket>
<waiting>
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 01:00 pm
ehBeth wrote:
<taking a seat in the gallery>
<getting out the tomato basket>
<waiting>

EhBeth, did you have the nipples pierced yet M'Dear?

All those photographs of ear and nose do little for man's virility.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 01:02 pm
ehBeth:-

I would get down to the front row if I was you.There are still a few empty seats.

The main act hasn't arrived yet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 01:06 pm
Thank you, spendius, but I'm quite nicely established here.

I like to be able to sit in the balcony, that way I can read if the performance starts to drag.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 01:08 pm
To the Two Old Sassenach Gentlemen:

I had thought not to respond, but as i am not a sulky child, i also thought better of it. I do dislike the custom of putting the "ee" sound at the ends of names, and personally eschew the custom. I am generally either referred to as Setanta, Set, Big Dog, or Doggy(-ie . . . argggghhhhhhhh). Although such constructions are not unknown here, they are as likely to be used between those who are not well acquainted in a slighting manner.

I knew i ought not to have mentioned the spoonerisms thread, as it was not germane to my simply coming here to greet Miss Lettybettyhettygetty. On that topic, however, i am no more convinced by your argument now than i was then, and restate my objection that people were simply having harmless fun. Fortunately, we have another venue for that, so i am not obliged to revisit the spoiled thread, which i never do.

The Police do not visit these environs, which is just as well for them, as that profession requires a quite different set of skills than those which assure survival in this virtual, tidal gene pool.

The senility of Spendius is an allegation upon which i am not equipped to pass judgment, lacking any personal knowledge of him. I am not likely to feel any obligation in that regard, although with acquaintance it is not unlikely that i would be so disposed. Education, in French, means what one learns in the home, and not in an academic setting, necessarily. I consider that "bookish" education is not only not necessarily something which we gain as opposed to experience, but something which informs the far more valuable learning which experience provides. To me, the terms are, when not synonymous, certainly complimentary.

I would likely have come back to read in any event, so i think we can all leave this tempestuous teapot on the sideboard for whoever does the washing up around here. Which by no means is to suggest that there should be no further comment.

I don't take strong drink, it has so often been the curse of my race, and i have escaped it absolutely with my very late-arriving maturity. However, i would not be averse to the notion that someone befuddled himself just a wee bit more in honor of my former legendary capacity for "the crayture." Your Good Health, gentlemen.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:00 pm
Mathos:-

The pub is 80 minutes away.Before that a nice long soak and some quiet meditation.You might figure in that but I hope not.Salammbo is much more interesting as meditation fodder.

Flaubert gives Salammbo ear furniture but I can't recall any piercings of her person which are explicit.
Flaubert allows us to make our own judgements on that sore topic.Hamilcar,her father,certainly is depicted as showing a degree of dismay at the sight of the golden ankle -chain being broken when she returns with the zaimph from Matho's tent but he does have a number of other important matters on his mind and it doesn't detain him long.He might be thinking that he can provide her with a fresh one from his treasure store in the vaults.

Setanta:-

We will have to agree to differ on the Spooner.We are both wrong and we are both right.It is a question of what one considers fun to be.We are all different in that regard.But we know what a Mae West is and when someone is faking one of those it is not going to be as much fun as the real thing.That might be objective proof.

I gotta go.My bath is ready.

Good luck all.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:04 pm
The Two Old ?

Whilst I consider Spendius to be a senior citizen, I am able to remove myself from that categorisation. It is rather annoying Setanta to be referred to as 'old' by one who has no knowledge.

You show me a man who has done well in life, and I'll point to him as a self educated man in life.

Well the beer in the States should be no problem to your well being. It was and is seen a major problem with Americans throughout their short history. The abolitionists made attempts to curb the problem, but like the drug trafficking today it proved a useless undertaking. From where does this particular habit arise?

I bid thee well Setanta and 'cheers.'
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:26 pm
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1290

<in case anyone would like to read along>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:46 pm
Mathos:

I do beg your pardon, i had thought from earlier remarks that you and Spendius were of an age . . .

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa . . .

Miss Girl, you don't happen to have that in French, do you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:48 pm
By the by, Mathos, the "crayture" does not refer to beer, something of which i was never that fond, even in younger, more evil days . . .

. . . rather, it refers to the good old mountain dew . . .
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 03:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
By the by, Mathos, the "crayture" does not refer to beer, something of which i was never that fond, even in younger, more evil days . . .

. . . rather, it refers to the good old mountain dew . . .

I was actually refering to your earlier remark " I dont take strong drink"

You have no evil days Setanta, mischief yes, evil, I doubt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 03:44 pm
I laughed aloud . . . how very kind of you . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 03:46 pm
Then all is well with the world once again.

From a very tired but enlightened LettyBettyGettyRagland.

Setanta, thank you!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 03:50 pm
Indeed, Miss LBHGMCL . . .

The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his Heaven --
All's right with the world!

. . . or so, at least, Our Mr. Browning would have it . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 03:52 pm
Sorry, Mr. Setanta. I was off reading Max und Moritz in German.

and Le Kama Soutra

Cool

The Gutenberg French listings ...

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/fr
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:08 pm
Thank you Miss Girl . . . but, uhm . . . SalambĂ´ is not listed . . .

You are a very naughty Miss Girl . . . reading that naughty book . . . i'm shocked, shocked i tell you . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:41 pm
I am back from the pub grinning like a cow pat.

I have never been shocked at anything women do.I have been surprised but never shocked.I was sometimes so surprised that I hadn't the synapses in reserve to be shocked.

My supper is ready.

It's going good.Just wait till Lola gets here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:42 pm
Oh, Dog help us . . .

Mathos goes off to bed, then Spendius shows up . . . they're tag-teamin' us . . .
0 Replies