Salammbô

Ethel2

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:20 am
Just South of Houston is a great place to be......but I actually prefer.......and you know this Set, Greenwich Village, MacDougall and Bleecker Streets, anyday.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 04:19 pm
We speak of Texas then Lola, I had the good fortune to spend some time in Plano many years back. Very interesting. All that tumbleweed blowing about though and the scarcity of vegetation, it is certainly a State to enjoy a nice steak though. Dallas was interesting too. They had a Country & Western night in town, (there were many) heard a chap singing some good fun songs. Jerry Jeff Walker, if my memory serves me right, he was good. Is he still about?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 04:29 pm
I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abileeeeeeene
The friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever see-een

He was still alive an' kickin' a few years back, and he is one of the most prolific Tejas song writers there has ever been--literally, hundreds of songs.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 04:59 pm
You can't get much further from Salammbo than this.

Why don't you two apply for a job in the Texas tourist information council.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 05:03 pm
I once saw two toothless hags have a conversation where every noun each of them articulated triggered off a completely extraneous thought process in the other.It was really quite funny.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:28 pm
http://www.jproductions.com/jjw.html

Now back to Salammbo........unfortunately, I have just discovered that my deadline is 15 days sooner than I thought. I have to just write the thing. So can we put this discussion on hold for a few days? If not, I'll just have to catch up. Sorry.......but it has to be done.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:13 am
Back home.

<he looked round him with distrust, closing his eyelids somewhat against the dazzling light of the torches, but when he saw that none of the armed men were unfriendly to him, a great sigh escaped from his breast.>
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:06 am
Francis:-

Thank goodness you are returned.I have been trying to hold the fort on my own and it isn't easy.

Super choice of quote.

There's some good action round about too.It is worth a read back.

See you shortly.Regards.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abileeeeeeene
The friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever see-een

He was still alive an' kickin' a few years back, and he is one of the most prolific Tejas song writers there has ever been--literally, hundreds of songs.

Yes, he was good.. See your rubbing it in on The English vacation (Friend Spendius is out on a limb here though!). How did it go Setanta;-

It's cold over here,
And I declare, I wish they'd turn the heat on!

When a Texan thinks he'll take a chance,
Chances are he'll beat on
And thats for sure,
I'll substantiate the rumour
That the English sense of humour
Is drier than a Texan Sand (Dickhead)
And of the whole damn lot
With everything I got,
I'm leaving just as fast as I can ??

Something like that !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:48 pm
I don't know about that one, but Dingo Walker might answer your purpose . . .

I woke up this morning, Texas on my mind
Thinking about my friends, and a girl I left behind
The way she held me when we kissed, the loving we've done
And how I left her waving goodbye, standing in a Texas sun

I've got half a mind to call her, half a mind to go
Jump a big jet liner and wing it on my way back home

And all the morning it was raining on the streets of Liverpool
So I stayed in and played guitar and sang the lovesick blues
My mind kept going back in time when we both had fun
And how I left her waving goodbye, standing in a Texas sun

In my dreams she's still in love with me
But I'd have to travel home to see
If she's found another man to take the place of me
Guess I'll have to keep on dreaming sunny memories

Wishing I was back there doesn't help me much at all
When I want to hold her, it doesn't help much to call
Stuck here in this seaport town longing for the one
That I left behind me there, standing in a Texas sun

0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:11 pm
Your seriously into music/songs Setanta ! I notice The American fraternity are very keen on 'Country' there are some good songs as well. I rather like listening to Dwight Yoakam, The late Johnny Cash
gave some excellent renderings also in the 70's especially. By the way, the words I quoted were to compliment your Jerry Jeff Walker song, Home with the armadillo! Part of the lyrics, as I recall them. Lorrie Morgan, rings a bell too, (Half Enough)
I hired a Transam many moons back and drove from LA to Vegas, then on to Missouri, it was fun, they like their country in Missouri. Me and Bobby McGee !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:13 pm
Busted flat in Baton Rouge
Waitin' for a train
I was feelin' nearly faded as my jeans . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:14 pm
Mathos, did anybody show you?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
Mathos, did anybody show you?

No doubt there is a punch line Setanta, I'll buy it ;-

Show me what?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:19 pm
You can't compare Salammbo to that stuff.It's light years away.Salammbo fans think of that sort of thing like they do of those picture books your Mammies showed you how to shape your lips with.

No kidding.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:20 pm
Missouri is known as the "Show Me State," a reference to their alleged scepticism . . . it is alleged that whenever confronted with something outside their personal experience, the Missourian will respond: "Oh yeah? Show me."
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:32 pm
Well thank you for that information, it is new to me.
They all appeared to be hooked up on smoking dope and drinking buds as I recall, oh and frogging ! Now that was an experience. We drove from a Bar b Q to a pond in the middle of no where. Gene Hannahs boy's had brush handles with knives attached and they taught me how to walk in the water, spearing giant frogs, oh and I saw some turtles, they looked nice, I was about to pick one up, (we don't have snappers in the UK) thankfully, they showed me with the brush handle what those 'critters' could do, I reckon it saved my fingers! Then back at the farm they put the large frog legs on the hot barbie, they laughed as they jumped about. It was an enlightening experience in life.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:35 pm
Yeah, many's the time i've gigged frogs, but we sold them to the old codgers who loved to eat 'em, but weren't up to gigging them . . .

They didn't perchance take you snipe hunting, did they?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:42 pm
No, but they shot a round or two into a hornets nest down by the creek, you can guess who was sat beneath it, in his swim trunks, the b*******
I never hit water and held my breath for so lung in my life.

I repaid the issue, thats another story though!

What is 'snipe hunting?'
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:48 pm
The snipe hunt is a venerable old country boy tradition, grown hoary with age. The victim is made much off, and welcomed into the group as a bosom companion. The victim is then well lubricated with drink, and casual reference is made to a snipe hunt, with numerous demures that undoubtedly it would only bore said victim, and that would not be good hospitality. The victim is by that means induced to an eager desire to prove a good sport, after which the victim is transported to a remote locale, preferrably swamp, from which loud cries will likely not penetrate to civilization. Then the victim is taught some ridiculous call invented on the spot for the occassion and told to sit in this tree (those with skill and imagination can get the victim to "hunker down" in the swampy water, but that calls for true genius) and make the call, while the others beat the bushes to drive the snipe in.

Once the desired result has been accomplished, the remainder of the party adjourn to their vehicles, to drink themselves into insensibility. In the morning they retrieve the victim, and take him for a good breakfast.
0 Replies