Should I rent a car before I get to Italy? Why?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:06 pm
Kicky, this link explains what I was talking about re buying a ticket at the window in a station and then not getting a seat, a matter that would not have happened if I'd gotten a reservation (that was on my 13 cities 29 days trip).
http://goitaly.about.com/cs/transportation/a/train_travel.htm

and this is useful too -
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/ticket_reservation.htm
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:58 pm
Kicky -- How long will you be in Italy?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:16 pm
Eva, I'll be there from May 28 until June 12. Two weeks, give or take a day or so for travel time.

Thanks for the ideas ehBeth and Mac11. Osso, I will have to check out your links later. I need some sleep right now!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:03 am
Kickycan, this seems to be a nice site with a lot of ideas.
http://www.bardotti.com/excurs.htm

I don't know what will interest you- very interesting is Santa Maria Della Scala- just opposite of the Dome. It was one of the first hosptals in Europe. It served the city as a hospital until a few years ago.
Now it is a museum - kind of history and art in a nutshell.
http://www.santamariadellascala.com/w2d3/v3/view/sms/presentazione/single_content_en.html

Hi, Osso.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:03 am
Kicky old boy, what with running around to see all this Arty stuff and having culture rammed down your throat at every turn, you may need to make sure that your calorific intake is sufficient to ensure that you do not experience fatigue.

Now I dont know what the Italian food is like over there, but if the Restaurant down the road from me is anything to go by, it's all garlic this, and garlic that, with bloody little twisty things that are supposedly made out of wheat, with great balls of meat slopped all over them. Then they sprinkle some sort of foreign cheese that smells of old socks all over it and have the cheek to present you with a bill at the end.

Now, in an effort to make sure that you look after yourself and eat properly, I have at last located a place where you can eat some good, wholesome British food. It will give you less flatulence, and encourage the growth of hair on your chest. You can thank me later.

http://www.barganews.com/doggybag/2004/07/printing-fish-and-chips-and-classic.html
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 01:18 pm
I have a couple of friends who've travelled to Italy -- and from what they tell me --- there are a lot of Italians there.

Just in case you didn't know....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 01:27 pm
And Garlic....bloody great bunches of the stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:14 pm
That Ellpus, what a sly fellow. I knew I recognized the name Barga, that's where littleK's family is, near Lucca - here's a quote from Kicky's earlier thread:

Posted: Mon 10 Jan, 2005 9:27 pm Post: 1117754 -
"Well, then, research. And think about what you really want to see. Do you want to see the heart and blood of Italy? Or do you want to see the facade? Maybe both?

Can I suggest Barga if you're going to be near Lucca? It's a gorgeous middle-of-no-where town/city with a little gothic (or is it medieval?) church set high on a hill."
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 01:30 pm
Oh, and one other thing. Italy's the country that's shaped like a big boot.

Just in case you get lost and need to ask for directions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:37 pm
Lord Ellpus - I've been to barga - a gorgeous spot. Heavenly even.

But alas, Osso, my family is not from that specifically. We're from a little know place near pescalia.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 12:51 pm
Of course it is heavenly, littlek.....they serve Fish and Chips !!

HOORAH!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 12:59 pm
Oops, wrong again.

Are chips french fries? I've had some wonderful french fries in Italy...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:04 pm
Chips are good, chunky fingersized sections of Potato, deep fried in top quality vegetable oil until golden brown. They are then arranged in a pile and liberally doused with malt vinegar, and topped with a light sprinkling of salt.

French fries are those spindly little things that one purchases in McDonalds.

ALL TOGETHER NOW http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/alwaysengland.Html

"There'll always be an England,
While there's a country lane.
Wherever there's a cottage small
Beside a field of grain ..........................

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN (and all her nobles)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 05:57 pm
Er, I've been to Barga, not the pub there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 06:48 pm
I'm sure that won't ruin the Lord Ellpus' ploy to get Kicky some swell food.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:49 pm
heh..... I dunno if I would try fish'n'chips in italy..... ah, who am I kidding, yes I would!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:58 pm
I had fries with some roast chicken in Rome. I think there was olive oil in the fat, though that doesn't make cooking sense re getting hot enough, unless it was a canola/olive oil mix and even then...
They were fantastic...
Or,
maybe I was jetlagged.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:36 pm
Fish 'n' chips? Get the hell outta here! I'm eating Italian food, prepared the Italian way, every damn day, baby!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:26 am
OK,Mr.K...how about we call them Pesce and Patate, and charge you twice as much?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:29 am
kickycan wrote:
Fish 'n' chips? Get the hell outta here! I'm eating Italian food, prepared the Italian way, every damn day, baby!

In Italy, it would be frittura di pesce or fritto misto di mare Laughing
0 Replies