can i join an acapella group?

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 10:57 am
Okay so i posted this as a question lol but no one was replying. so i figured id start a discussion hehe. id appreciate ur input Smile

i know basically nothing about music technicalities, like i barely even recall how the notes sound. i mean i know if theyre high or low but i cant recall excatly how they sound. still i love singing and im pretty okay at it. my friends tell me i have a pretty voice. Im thinking of joining a collegiate acapella group but will i require knowledge on how to read sheet music? i dont play an instrument either. im not sure whether i should try and audition or if ill just go make an embarrassment of myself. also im a contralto but i dont belt. will that work against me? i need to know because my parents dont support my singing dreams and i dont want to go against them if i dont have a chance in the first place.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,148 • Replies: 13
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 11:50 am
@viviryki,
This happens to be the first time I've seen a question like for the 10 years I've been active at this forum.

The only way to find out is to find an acapella group in your region/city/university/etc... and see what the policy is for tryouts.
viviryki

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 12:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
hmm okay. thanks for replying. i guess this might be a silly question but honestly i really know zilch about music sigh thanks to my parents. i really do love singing tho. anyway thanks again for replying. and to any other ppl who see this post sorry if my question is dumb hehe

Sturgis

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 12:54 pm
@viviryki,
As tsarstepan said, give it a try, there's really nothing to lose. You like singing and your voice may be just what a group is looking for. In the meantime, look around the internet and learn some basics of reading sheet music. Even if you are accepted into a singing group, learning the basics can only help.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 01:07 pm
@viviryki,
If you are in college, have you considered taking music lessons?

I would also suggest you join a choral group before you jump into Acapella. Choral groups can provide you with an introduction to singing that is less challenging... and from there you can see how far you want to take it.
Real Music

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 05:43 pm
@viviryki,
What sparked your interest to want to sing in a acapella group?
Just curious.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 06:44 pm
@Real Music,
I sang in a ribald lyric barber shop quartet yars ago. It was a party gag and was kinda fun. Totally Acapella. If yuve got a ecent voice and can recognize the notes and have a good enough ear, you dont need lssons.
Winslow Homer was a self taught artist.
viviryki

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 07:19 am
@Real Music,
I guess since i dont play an instrument or anything i figured a band was totally not the way to go and ive always loved harmonizing with friends. Its something i feel i do well anyway. I mean maybe thts just in my head lol but still. Also watching pitch perfect at a friends place was another major motivation factor hehe altho i realize thts not how actual acapella groups work the musical arrangement takes time n effort.
viviryki

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 07:25 am
@maxdancona,
Okay so im going to start college soon but i live w my parents im dependent on them n they have always stopped me from taking music lessons bc they felt it would only encourage me to rebel lol. But yeah as soon as im out from under their control i intend to take some lessons. And thanks for the suggestion ill give joining a choral group some thought.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 09:01 am
@viviryki,
When I was a young man, I was in an a Capella performing group (there were 6 of us). It was a lot of fun. We met through church, but all of us had quite a bit of singing experience before we met.

I got most of my experience from chorus in high school, and an amateur choral group while I was in college (not part of the college, but organized in the community where I was living).

I am sure there will be several choral groups of different levels in your college or community. If you are doing it for fun, as a hobby, it won't be your parents concern. At least it is a fun hobby where you can meet people doing something you enjoy. At best you will learn enough to perform on your own.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 07:49 pm
@farmerman,
I personally can't sing at all, but I do have a real appreciation for music.
I truly love the sound of vocal harmonizing. When I hear some of my favorite songs,
I sometimes appreciate the background vocals equally as much as I do the lead singers.
Sometimes I appreciate the background vocals more than the lead singers.

I also love the sound of acapella singing.
Did you sing in a barber shop quartet just for fun?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 07:59 pm
@viviryki,
I don't know how good of a singer you are.
It sounds like you truly love to sing and harmonize.
You don't have to sing as a professional.
You can do this just for fun.

Is it your goal to make money doing this?
Or do you want to this just for the joy of singing?
Do you want this to be a joyful hobby?
Or do you want this to be more than just a hobby?
Real Music

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 08:09 pm
@viviryki,
As some have already suggested, you might want to take music lessons.
Find local music stores in your area and ask if they provide lessons.

Some music stores sell musical instruments, musical books, musical supplies, and provide lessons for a fee.
0 Replies

viviryki

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2019 05:50 am
@Real Music,
i would love for this to be more than just a hobby but unfortunately tht seems very unlikely. see a lot of my parents refusal to allow me to pursue music is the fact tht we're muslim n of the sect tht belive music is forbidden. personally i dont believe tht. i listen to music. i sing. but the fact is i was raised with certain values tht i have trouble letting go of. n so i myself am hesitant to pursue music as a career. so im not rly thinking abt tht rn. im just concentrating on joining an a capella grp n learning how to sing properly even if just as a hobby. oh n i intend to at least be able to play the guitar n piano but tht will have to come later once im away from my parents lol
0 Replies