Lend Me Your Ears

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:05 pm
So the kid can sing, maybe? A few people have told me this. They're all kind of biased though, and this is one thing where I just can't tell. I can see if she's running fast, I can't see if she's singing well.

I thought of opening a new account just to ask this so there wouldn't be any bias but since it would include a link I thought it might be seen as spammy.

One thing I need to figure out first, though, is how to best upload an audio link? She recorded herself on Garage Band, I think it's an MP3 format but I'm not sure. It's 238 MB -- the first place I tried (MediaFire) has a 200 MB limit, and the second place I tried (SoundCloud) has a 250 MB limit but wouldn't accept the format. I couldn't figure out how to change the format. (I'm pretty good with techie stuff but haven't done much at all with audio sorts of things.)

So if anyone could get me started there that would be helpful.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 8,344 • Replies: 32

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:24 pm
@sozobe,
OK, I think I figured it out. This should be it:

http://soundcloud.com/user592399826/sozlet

(It's brief.)
JPB

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:37 pm
@sozobe,
Good projection, nice voice. I think she'd get into the school choir, for instance.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:39 pm
@sozobe,
I've got a pretty good ear. I hear that her pitch is pretty good..pacing good, she has a good quality to her voice. Plus, I'm familiar with this song as I listen to it often as I bought it a few months ago. She's pretty good. How old is she?
sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:41 pm
@Ragman,
She's 11.
Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:46 pm
@sozobe,
Really? I will tell you that I would have guessed maybe 16. She has some talent and musical future, IMHO. Don't go to American Idol route, though. Randy has vacated now. Rolling Eyes

She will learn more about injecting more drama and emotion into a song once she matures a bit. I'm quite impressed.
sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:49 pm
@Ragman,
Wow, interesting!

Thanks very much for the details.

No American Idol, no. Very Happy
Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:58 pm
@sozobe,
By the way, I hope that my comment about her putting a little more emotion into a song I hope is not perceived as a criticism. Yikes...11?! From my perception, she's a good singer as a 16-18 yr old.
sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 01:01 pm
@Ragman,
I'm just going for info at this point, any info at all (I can see what she looks like when she sings and that's it), so it's all welcome.
Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 01:47 pm
@sozobe,
I couldn't get the thing to play.

Phooey.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 07:36 pm
Your friends were not biased: Sozlet most definitely can sing. She has rhythm, she has timing, she sings expressively, and she hits the notes precisely. I agree her voice sounds older than eleven.

On Sozlet's interpretation, I can't really comment because I'm not familiar with current pop music. So I have no way of telling if she's imitating someone or if the interpretation is her own. Sounds good to me though.

Not that you asked, but in addition to her voice sounding good, the recording of it sounds good. Youtube abounds with crap-quality home recordings, full of electrical hums, crackles, hissing, and white noise. This isn't one of them. This tells me she cares about good sound and knows how to bring it out. (Maybe a little postproduction?)

So, easy on the ears all around.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 07:48 pm
I give it a thumbs up also.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 11:31 pm
She can definitely sing! Good pitch and her voice has an interesting and unique tone that I really like. I think she'd be a real stand-out in the school choir, and her voice is strong enough that she'd do well as a soloist.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 06:36 am
Thanks, everyone! This is definitely interesting.

I'm really appreciating the details.

Sorry it didn't work for you, Roberta. All of this stuff (computers + audio) is a mystery to me so I don't have any advice, sorry.

Generally speaking she goes to classes and such based on two categories; she doesn't have talent but I think it would be good for her (ballet) or she has talent and I think it should be encouraged (acting). If she has talent here, I'm a little at sea for what, if anything, I should do next. She says she doesn't want voice lessons, and the school choir won't be available until she's in high school.

She likes to sing, and does it a lot, so maybe just leave things there?
Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 06:56 am
@sozobe,
Is she only uninterested in singing lessons? Might there be an instrument she wants to learn?
JPB

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 06:59 am
Most of the jr chorus programs are faith-based but there is a group in Columbus whose website states "We're always looking for new members If you need a creative outlet and like singing, join us! No experience necessary!"

http://www.worthingtonchorus.com/#

"The Worthington Chorus is a community chorus group with members of all ages who are from all over Central Ohio.'
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 08:04 am
@Thomas,
She's playing trumpet at school, enjoys it a lot.

JPB, yes, we know about that but she hasn't been interested.

I can certainly nudge her if need be. That's part of what I'm trying to figure out, I guess.

Not just what to do (there are several local options) but whether to do it.
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 08:12 am
@JPB,
Actually that's not what I thought it was, there's something with a similar name that's for kids, this one seems to be mostly grownups. But she hasn't been interested in choirs when it's come up. (She could choose between band and choir this year, she chose band. She won't be able to do both until HS.)

One other combo that could work for her is taking part in a local musical -- there's a local production she was already thinking of auditioning for that has some singing, I think.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 09:07 am
@sozobe,
I agree with the other comments here about the quality of her voice.

I think you should at least research voice lessons. Young singers are prone to damaging their voices.

http://www.elizabethprescott.com/howyoung.htm
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 09:10 am
@DrewDad,
That was interesting, thanks.