OMG! CONDI (and BUSH & Now SCOTT) Still Thinks IRAQ = 9/11

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 03:51 pm
Lol - Lash - they have investigated - you simply refuse to believe the results - and none of your silly invective makes a bit of difference. It seems you refuse to read the evidence. Shrugs - well, whatever.

As ever, when someone dares to point out the things Americans do wrong, you imagine utterly baselessly, and despite clear information to the contrary, that all Americans are being accused.

I cannot think of any new ways to make this utterly simple point clear to someone who will not listen to reason - and it is clearly a waste of time trying.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 04:01 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lash,

Quote:
Investigate. You see everything in such black and white terms. All or nothing. That's a bit rigid, isn't it? For one who purports herself to be so flexible...

Who is doing the investigating? The people who are accused of doing something wrong? That has a low chance of ever finding out the truth, and you know it.

Cycloptichorn

Well, despite that incontrovertible problem, they ARE finding out about the abuses.

The first investigation into the atrocities in Afghani prisons was a whitewash - the one the NYT has reported on appears far more thorough - and seems to pull no punches. Good on them.

It is a bit like the fact thet the military's own lawyers and were against the setting up of a shameful place like Gitmo - they believed it utterly contradicted the system of ethical and reasonable behaviour they had set up. They were also against the travesty of the manner in which the guilt of the alleged terrorists was to be determined in the military tribunals in Guantanamo. The rules re these have actually been changed somewhat due to legal and human rights outcries - many of them from America itself.

And some soldiers have stood up against the abuses - bless 'em too. That is a very hard thing to do in structures such as the military - and police etc.

Dealing legally with terrorists IS very difficult because of the nature of their organisations and what they do. Did you see the coming book Beth linked to in another thread somewhere looking at these legal issues?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lash,

Quote:
Investigate. You see everything in such black and white terms. All or nothing. That's a bit rigid, isn't it? For one who purports herself to be so flexible...

Who is doing the investigating? The people who are accused of doing something wrong? That has a low chance of ever finding out the truth, and you know it.

Cycloptichorn

Incorrect!

Unless you accuse every American soul on duty in these facilities, you can count on the truth being told.

As has been proven in this case.

Your tendency to distrust all American guards underlines the point I made.

And, you can't take the word of detainees against their guards as the sole evidence, either and you know it!

When someone tries to smear all guards by association with code words like 'solid block' and 'consistent atrocities', I take issue. You are trying to lump them, dlowan, smear them all for the behavior of an extreme minorityand you know it!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:44 pm
This doesn't prove or disprove anything, but it shows how prisoner/guard relationships are fertile grounds for abuse.

The participants in the test were 'average Joes,' previously tested to make sure there were no aggressive tendencies. Good American kids. The test was to be for two weeks. It had to be stopped after only six days. Even the originator of the test found that he had come under the influence of power, imaginary power.

I can't understand why anyone could possibly doubt that atrocities are the norm, especially in military prisons.

If we don't stop this and face up to commiting atrocities, we are no better than the people who commited terrorism in New York and Washington, DC. I don't think the "we weren't as bad as they were" holds up in civilized society. An atrocity is an atrocity, regardless of its size.

The Stanford Prison Experiment

http://www.prisonexp.org/slide-1.htm
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:01 pm
Face up to who committing atrocities?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:30 pm
Lash wrote:

Us.
We.
Us.
Nosotros
We.
Us'ens
Ourselves
US

you and me and maybe Bobby McGee.

Joe(Who else is there with whom we would be dismayed?)Nation

PS I've requested several geologists to look over the posts here. They report that while some posts are solid, some are just thick.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:42 pm
I believe the word "atrocity" has now lost all proper meaning in this thread.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:02 pm
Lash wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lash,

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Incorrect!

Unless you accuse every American soul on duty in these facilities, you can count on the truth being told.

As has been proven in this case.

Your tendency to distrust all American guards underlines the point I made.

And, you can't take the word of detainees against their guards as the sole evidence, either and you know it!

When someone tries to smear all guards by association with code words like 'solid block' and 'consistent atrocities', I take issue. You are trying to lump them, dlowan, smear them all for the behavior of an extreme minorityand you know it!

How could I KNOW (to use your shout) what is a ridiculously mendacious bit of nonsense?

No matter how you scream and yell, it is still not true.

Wake me when rational debate is possible.

McG - do you consider torturing a detainee to death is an atrocity?

Shall I get the other actions detailed in the military's report for you?

Would torturing an American prisoner to death be an atrocity?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:09 pm
Diane wrote:
This doesn't prove or disprove anything, but it shows how prisoner/guard relationships are fertile grounds for abuse.

The participants in the test were 'average Joes,' previously tested to make sure there were no aggressive tendencies. Good American kids. The test was to be for two weeks. It had to be stopped after only six days. Even the originator of the test found that he had come under the influence of power, imaginary power.

I can't understand why anyone could possibly doubt that atrocities are the norm, especially in military prisons.

If we don't stop this and face up to commiting atrocities, we are no better than the people who commited terrorism in New York and Washington, DC. I don't think the "we weren't as bad as they were" holds up in civilized society. An atrocity is an atrocity, regardless of its size.

The Stanford Prison Experiment

http://www.prisonexp.org/slide-1.htm

Is that the Lombardo experiment?

Abuse by guards is an extremely common phenomenon in prisoner/guard situations - unless there is extremely good management and accountability to keep a check on it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:26 am
Now we have this kind of talk:

"It's not really an atrocity."
"No?"
"No. More of a shameful action."
"Oh."
"You see?"
"No."
"Look. Atrocities bring a feeling of horror, not shame."
"Well, I was horrified, but you, you were more ashamed?"
"Well, not really, I don't really care."
"So, you're neither horrified nor ashamed."
"I think we have to support the troops."
"Because they were following orders?"
"No. No one gave the order to do any of this."
"They just did it on their own?"
"Yes."
"They committed all these acts without any direction or orders?"
"Absolutely."
"So their officers, who are supposed to train and supervise them....?"
"Absolutely not responsible unless it's that woman General, then..."
"So what you mean is that you support the officers, not the troops."
"Look. Do you want me to spell it out?"
"That would be good if it was spelled a t r o c i t y."
"Well. It's not. Look, we are not going to admit to any imperfection."
"Isn't that the definition of some kind of psychosis?"
"I already said too much."
"You said there might have been shameful acts."
"Yes, and that was wrong. We've done nothing wrong."
"You've done noth...?"
"That's it. We're doing the right thing, we are on the road to freedom!"
"Do you know what the real atrocity is?"
"What?"
"Nevermind."
"No. Tell me."
"No. You tell me when you come to."

Joe(In later years the people who believed said they never saw it coming.)Nation
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:18 am
Lash wrote:
OE--

If they'd not fought alongside the murderer of innocent Americans, they wouldn't have to worry about Satanic Americans touching their fruity book....or doing anything else to them.

They disrespected human life. We responded.

This is really really too much, Lash. I'd actually like to think that you're simply naive. But this type of factual material is so widely available that such a belief is just not possible.

{the material highlighted in red is especially pertinent to this thread}

Quote:
DAY 1: Rogue GIs unleashed wave of terror in Central Highlands

By MICHAEL D. SALLAH and MITCH WEISS
BLADE STAFF WRITERS c THE BLADE, 2003

QUANG NGAI, Vietnam - For the 10 elderly farmers in the rice paddy, there was nowhere to hide.

The river stretched along one side, mountains on the other.

Approaching quickly in between were the soldiers - an elite U.S. Army unit known as Tiger Force.

Though the farmers were not carrying weapons, it didn't matter: No one was safe when the special force arrived on July 28, 1967.

No one.
With bullets flying, the farmers - slowed by the thick, green plants and muck - dropped one by one to the ground.

Within minutes, it was over. Four were dead, others wounded. Some survived by lying motionless in the mud.

Four soldiers later recalled the assault.

"We knew the farmers were not armed to begin with," one said, "but we shot them anyway."

The unprovoked attack was one of many carried out by the decorated unit in the Vietnam War, an eight-month investigation by The Blade shows.

The platoon - a small, highly trained unit of 45 paratroopers created to spy on enemy forces - violently lost control between May and November, 1967.

For seven months, Tiger Force soldiers moved across the Central Highlands, killing scores of unarmed civilians - in some cases torturing and mutilating them - in a spate of violence never revealed to the American public.

They dropped grenades into underground bunkers where women and children were hiding - creating mass graves - and shot unarmed civilians, in some cases as they begged for their lives.

They frequently tortured and shot prisoners, severing ears and scalps for souvenirs.

A review of thousands of classified Army documents, National Archives records, and radio logs reveals a fighting unit that carried out the longest series of atrocities in the Vietnam War - and commanders who looked the other way.

For 41/2 years, the Army investigated the platoon, finding numerous eyewitnesses and substantiating war crimes. But in the end, no one was prosecuted, the case buried in the archives for three decades.

No one knows how many unarmed men, women, and children were killed by platoon members 36 years ago.

At least 81 were fatally shot or stabbed, records show, but many others were killed in what were clear violations of U.S. military law and the 1949 Geneva Conventions.

Based on more than 100 interviews with The Blade of former Tiger Force soldiers and Vietnamese civilians, the platoon is estimated to have killed hundreds of unarmed civilians in those seven months.

"We weren't keeping count," said former Pvt. Ken Kerney, a California firefighter. "I knew it was wrong, but it was an acceptable practice."

Many details of the period in question are unknown: Records are missing from the National Archives, and several suspects and witnesses have died.

In many cases, the soldiers remember the atrocities and general locations, but not the precise dates.

What's clear is that nearly four decades later, many Vietnamese villagers and former Tiger Force soldiers are deeply troubled by the brutal killing of villagers.

"It was out of control," said Rion Causey, 55, a former platoon medic and now a nuclear engineer. "I still wonder how some people can sleep 30 years later."

Among the newspaper's findings:

Commanders knew about the platoon's atrocities in 1967, and in some cases, encouraged the soldiers to continue the violence.

Two soldiers who tried to stop the atrocities were warned by their commanders to remain quiet before transferring to other units.

The Army investigated 30 war-crime allegations against Tiger Force between February, 1971, and June, 1975, finding a total of 18 soldiers committed crimes, including murder and assault. But no one was ever charged.

Six platoon soldiers suspected of war crimes - including an officer - were allowed to resign during the investigation, escaping military prosecution.

The findings of the investigation were sent to the offices of the secretary of the Army and the secretary of defense, records show, but no action was taken.

MORE, IF YOU CAN STOMACH IT AT,

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031022/SRTIGERFORCE/110190168
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:43 pm
JTT-- I had no idea such a steaming load was sitting here awaiting my inspection.

Are you under the impression that this impossibly oversized cut and paste has anything to do with anything I said?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:30 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Lash wrote:

Us.
We.
Us.
Nosotros
We.
Us'ens
Ourselves
US

you and me and maybe Bobby McGee.

Joe(Who else is there with whom we would be dismayed?)Nation

PS I've requested several geologists to look over the posts here. They report that while some posts are solid, some are just thick.

I have never committed an atrocity.

If you have, kindly leave me out of the plea bargain.

There are a multitude of US service personnel who have never committed an atrocity. Stop saying they have. Let individuals be charged for what they have done. I protest the broad brush treatment on innocent men and women.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:53 pm
Didn't Bush say something along the lines of "I have to keep repeating my self so that it will become true"? Rice is just saying what her boss tells her to say.

You see, these people are so brain washed that they only repeat official drivel and they actually believe what they are saying. The bad thing is, there are so many brain dead Americans out there that their minds are like a sponge and it absorbs anything you tell it.

Unfortunately the soldiers in Iraq are only getting part of the story. They are programmed to believe that what they are doing is a good thing because Bush wants them to be killing machines. When they come home they find out what the real truth is, but without the arms and legs that they left in Iraq, they don't have much of a will to speak up and fight for the truth.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:59 pm
So anyway, here I am tonight with the telly on (PBS) and someone is interviewing this Army Captain who is just home from Iraq and the interviewer asks the Cap't "Do you think we did the right thing going into Iraq and the Cap't says right to the camera "Well, I believe that everything happens for a reason and since we are in Iraq there must be a good reason, so yeah we did the right thing going into Iraq."
Now this actually is the very best reason I have heard in the past two years about why we invaded Iraq, don't you all agree?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:07 pm
dyslexia wrote:
So anyway, here I am tonight with the telly on (PBS) and someone is interviewing this Army Captain who is just home from Iraq and the interviewer asks the Cap't "Do you think we did the right thing going into Iraq and the Cap't says right to the camera "Well, I believe that everything happens for a reason and since we are in Iraq there must be a good reason, so yeah we did the right thing going into Iraq."
Now this actually is the very best reason I have heard in the past two years about why we invaded Iraq, don't you all agree?

So the guy doesn't know why he is there but thinks everything happens for a reason. What a moron! Rape and murder happen too, is there a good reason for it? You see what they give us to work with here?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:08 pm
Lash wrote:
JTT-- I had no idea such a steaming load was sitting here awaiting my inspection.

Are you under the impression that this impossibly oversized cut and paste has anything to do with anything I said?

==============
If they'd not fought alongside the murderers of innocent Palestinians, Vietnamese, Nicaraguans, El Salvadorians, Filipinos, Haitians, Cubans, ..., they wouldn't have to worry about others doing anything to them.

They disrespected human life. Some have responded.
========

This, as I'm sure you're aware, Lash, is called blowback; something that your own agencies warned would happen. I expect that they are still saying this. How can you be so naive? [wouldn't it be nice if it WAS only naivete?]
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:12 pm
That was sad.

NPR is doing a Guy In Iraq series these days, and they sort of let the guys just talk for a minute or two. Some are sort of sad--a gung ho guy who likes having the consequence to prove he's a legitimate tough guy--to really thoughtful people who feel that they're doing the hard work in a bid to make the world a safer place.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:21 pm
Lash wrote:
That was sad.

NPR is doing a Guy In Iraq series these days, ... to really thoughtful people who feel that they're doing the hard work in a bid to make the world a safer place.

This is much worse than I thought, Lash. It's not naivete; you ARE seriously delusional!

Make the world a safer place. What irony! What a cruel joke! Do you have any idea which country, far and away, is the largest purveyor of military hardware on the planet?

"... doing the hard work in a bid to make the world a safer place".

What a monstrous joke!!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:27 pm
Everything has not yet been completely engulfed in cynicism.

Iraq is a better place. It's not all flowers and sunshine at the moment--but those people have a much better chance at a great life now.

They will determine the future of that country.

It's no joke.
0 Replies