Breathes there a man with soul so dead . . .

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:57 pm
. . . who never to himself has said
This is my own, my native land?

I love my country. I always have, and have not the least doubt that i always will.

My grandfather served in the United States Army from 1916 to 1919. My mother and father both served in the United States Army from 1942 to 1945. One of my brothers served in the United States Navy from 1961 to 1967, the other served in the United States Army from 1968 to 1970. I enlisted and served in the United States Army from 1970 to 1973.

Every time i have left this country, and returned, i feel a profound sense of relaxation and pleasure at returning. I belong here, and have as much right to be here as anyone else in this world.

I am heartily sick and tired of being told by right-wing hate mongers what it means to be patriotic. I am sick of being accused of being a friend to Muslim terrorists and an enemy of American servicemen and -women because i condemn the dirty little war that the Shrub and Cheney and Rummy got us into through willful fabrications, and the exploitation of a false belief in Iraqi involvement in the tragedy of September 11, 2001. I am disgusted with the cynical exploitation of that event by venal men and women with an agenda established well before that tragedy. I'm sick of the accusations of conservatives, many of whom have never given one goddamned day of their miserable lives in service to this nation.

This is a free country, still, despite the best efforts of the religious right lunatic fringe, despite the Oberkommando des Homeland Security, despite the attempts of political and corporate America to stiffle dissent, and brand all who are not with them as cowards, wimps and traitors.

Because this is a free country, i will condemn the current adiminstration and its venality when and where i choose.

Because this is a free country, i will condemn the insipid attempts to force religious values on society.

Because this is a free country, i will condemn the Supreme Court for interferring in the Florida recount, and the Federal court which denies access to information on Cheney's energy task force.

Because this is a free country, i will condemn the homophobic rantings of insecure and hateful hypocrites, whose pathetic lives are so devoid of interest that they can't keep their noses out of other peoples' bedrooms.

I am registered to vote, and i do my best to remain informed and vote each and every year.

I will not let sanctimonious slanderers tell me what is and what is not patriotic. If any one of those clowns ever accused me of being a supporter of terrorists because i condemn the Shrub's dirty little war, and had the courage to do it to my face, i'd pop 'em in the mouth so hard their mamas would pass out.

Therefore, i cordially invite every snotty, holier-than-thou conservative who doesn't like this screed to bend down and KISS MY RED IRISH ASS.

Enough said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,583 • Replies: 27
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:34 am
He he he. Okay bye.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:47 am
Don't sugarcoat it, pally, tell us how you REALLY feel! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:47 am
Brand X wrote:
Don't sugarcoat it, pally, tell us how you REALLY feel! Very Happy

Huh . . . you think maybe i was a little too subtle ?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:49 am
Naw, it's your thread....you can sew with it how you wish.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:52 am
Brilliantly stated, set. It's exactly what I have been feeling and trying to say for over thirty years.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 05:05 am
Setanta, that was beautiful - I couldn't have said it better.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 05:40 am
Thank you Good Friend EB . . .

Thank you Sanctuary . . .

(Pssst, have you ever read the Faulkner novel of the same name?)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 05:46 am
Good thing for you that I agree.

My Mamma hits back.

(Not to mention we could both get into a LOT of trouble if I were to kiss your red irish ass.) Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 05:47 am
Why, is the Bear lurkin' aroun' here . . . com'ere darlin' . . . come on . . .
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:15 am
SMOOOOOCH!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:49 am
You tell 'em, doggy person! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:01 am
OOooooo . . . i got smoochitied and the Kitty is awinkin' at me . . . what a grand day . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:10 am
Laughing

That's because you're in such fine form today, Setanta! I predict more appreciation will soon appear, but I'm also waiting for the first brave soul to disagree with some minor point of your wonderful speech! Now THAT should be fun! :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:16 am
Lol! First Irish ass I ever kissed - but where do you find the red ones, they all seem grey?

Oh - here are some:

http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/irish1.jpg

This is what I think of:

http://www.miniature-donkey.net/images/Shepherd122104A.jpg

Or - were you thinking of one more like this?

http://www.westcoast.org.nz/images/jpg/donkey_small.jpg

I never knew you had one!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:17 am
The feed bills will bankrupt me one day . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:18 am
Oh no! You might have to sell your ass?!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:24 am
dlowan wrote:
This is what I think of:

http://www.miniature-donkey.net/images/Shepherd122104A.jpg

That looks like a burro . . . you have to learn to say it as the Mexicanos do . . . booorrrrroh . . . roll those r's ! ! !

When we were still just liddlies, my grandmother would tell us often (at our request) a story of her childhood. Her father died before she was born, and her mother continued to save money for the voyage to Ah-mer-ee-kay, because she held title from her late husband to a boarding house in Colorado Springs. When my grandmother was just a liddly, that town was filled with the stray burros abandoned by hard luck prospectors, whose claims had played out or had never panned out. When the small children of the town wished to get to the other side of town, they would get a flake of hay (here, hay is baled in long, rectangular bales, and a swathe of such a bale, about 6 inches wide, is known as a flake), and using it to lure the burro, the liddlies would climb up on the burro's back, and the animal would patiently bear them to their destination, placidly ruminating on the vegetal bribe . . . that was more than a century ago, now, of course . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:25 am
dlowan wrote:
Oh no! You might have to sell your ass?!!!

Now i have to wipe the goddamned coffee off my keyboard . . .

. . . how much do you think i could get, say, per hour?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:30 am
How strong is it?
0 Replies