What is the origin of the word pastor?

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:30 am
Hi. What is the origin of the word pastor. When I go to church I look at the pastor and I have no idea where does this word come from. Can you tell me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,722 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Francis

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:45 am
Pastor (n.)

1242, "shepherd," also "spiritual guide, shepherd of souls" (1377), from O.Fr. pastur "herdsman, shepherd" (12c.), from L. pastorem (nom. pastor) "shepherd," from pastus, pp. of pascere "to lead to pasture, graze," from PIE base *pa- "to tend, keep, pasture, feed, guard" (see food). The spiritual sense was in Church L. (cf. Gregory's "Cura Pastoralis"). The verb in the Christian sense is from 1872.

source
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:46 am
It comes from a wheat based food product, originally made in England and stolen by the Italians during the mid sixteenth Century.

They changed the name slightly to conceal their wicked deed, and it can now be found in such dishes as Spaghetti Bolognese, Lasagne and Macaroni Cheese.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:56 am
Once when walking in the Alps I met an Italian guy and we got chatting; he mentioned that at home he had a "pastore tedesco". I was wondering why anyone would have a German minister of religion in the house when it dawned on me that a "pastore tedesco" is a German shepherdÂ….
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:59 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
It comes from a wheat based food product, originally made in England and stolen by the Italians during the mid sixteenth Century.

"Rescued" might be the more operative word in this fantasy!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:44 am
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/rofl.gif
0 Replies