Nail biting

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:33 am
Any suggestions on how to get a 6 year old to stop biting her nails? She bites them so low sometimes that it will hurt her. Some one once mentioned to me that there is something you can buy that makes your nails taste gross. I really do not want to resort to that sort of thing, but would prefer some sort of positive reinforcement. The problem of course, is I am not with her 24/7 to remind her. I also don't want to be a nag about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 625 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mac11

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:53 am
Would she be interested in nail polish as a reward for not biting her nails?

I've seen that bitter nail stuff too, but don't recall the name of it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:04 am
I thought of the nail polish thing - however, I might have to wait until after school ends as I am not sure they will allow polish at her school (she attends a Christian school) - I will have to read the school dress code.

I was thinking of maybe offering to bring her in for a manicure - not sure if this is a bit over the top for a 6 year old though. I am sure she will feel like such a big girl if she gets one though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:16 am
Nails and hair are solid protein. Maybe it's a dietary thing?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:17 am
Try regular applications of hand lotion to soften and eliminate scratchy bits of skin and cuticles.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 12:02 pm
There are some good ideas here:

http://www.parentkidsright.com/pt-nailbiting.html
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 12:47 pm
Looks like I was onto something....

"Promising a manicure when the nails have grown in often works in little girls. "

Thank you very much - that article was very informative. I think I will ask her if she wants to stop - she does seem interested.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 12:57 pm
my mom had a mirror handy to show me what i look like when i bite my nails and always pointed out people who did. that was a strong motivation to quit for me. it looks so gross, i didn't want to be one of those people!
0 Replies