French restaurants: Ordering without looking like a dolt

kickycan

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
"Ah, je vois . . . vous avez d'autres coquillages, Monsieur? Je n'ai pas à vous gêner de mes gaucheries . . . "

What is the translation of that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:06 pm
"Oh, i see . . . do you have any other shellfish, Sir? I certainly have no business embarrassing you with my gaffes . . . "
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:06 pm
littlek wrote:
the wrong pronounciation is broosheta, the right version is broosketa. Kicky, you forgot the h in gnocchi.

Damn, you're right, littlek!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:08 pm
I still have a hard time getting the italian 'o' pronounced right.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:50 pm
After much practice--to impress my date--I ordered the entire meal in perfect French. The waiter was astounded. It was a Chinese restaurant.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 10:11 pm
Gnocchi is such a pain in the ass to prepare, one is well advised to eat it only in restaurants, and save themselves the grief.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 10:31 pm
kicky, just say: "I'll have number 27, please."
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 11:24 pm
JLNobody wrote:
After much practice--to impress my date--I ordered the entire meal in perfect French. The waiter was astounded. It was a Chinese restaurant.

Razz Laughing Big belly laugh here!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:49 am
I really need to refine my tribal language skills.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:07 am
One thought - say something like gee .... everything here sounds so good, then ask the server for some suggestions. That is an especially good idea if you have no clue as to what an item is on the menu (forget about even pronouncing correctly). That way you don't end up with cow lips or something like that. This one guy I used to work with once did that at a Vietnamese restaurant. He ordered something that he read off the menu. The server realizing this was a typical American that had no clue what he was in for - suggested that he may not like what he was ordering. I think it was some sort of chicken that was barely cooked. This guy being as arrogant as he was insisted that he wanted that particular item - I wasn't there at the time, but all my other co-workers said it looked disgusting. To save face, he ate the whole thing. Funny thing is he never ordered that particular dish again.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:25 pm
You want real fun, try a French restaurant in Tokyo. A buddy travels there often - one time they got ostrich liver. Now they stick to places with pictures on the menu.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:36 pm
I've gotta ask - why would anyone want to go to a French resto?

Save your vocab classes for an interesting cuisine.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:39 pm
Which is?...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:56 pm
uh -oh.
now you've done it, beth!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:58 pm
I sure hope she isn't going to say British food. "Cuisine" it is not.

Now, if you want to talk about cajun/creole....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:59 pm
I kind of agree with Beth though....not a big fan of French restaurants.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:59 pm
Thai

Vietnamese

Goan

Venezuelan

almost anything that isn't from Europe

so there
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:01 pm
I love pasta and sauce . . . them Frenchies, they do up a nice sauce, but pâtes, their notion of pasta, just don't get it . . .

(Psssst, Francis, i know you ain't supposed to use them little hats over the vowells no more, but it ain't entirely agains the rules now, is it?)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:06 pm
pates has nuttin to do with pasta. and it's damn tasty. french cheese and wine cannot be beat either. as we slovaks say: there's as many tastes as there's people.... or i guess to each his own.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:10 pm
Kicky, just order the freedom toast.
0 Replies