Missing Teen Elizabeth Smart Found Alive

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:25 am
Snood I believe you were right to say what you did except for one issue. It is not just people of color who get left in the dust regarding not getting the publicity. My daughter was abducted in February 1986 and her remains found in March 1987. When ever something like this takes place I really suffer a lot of anguish but the fact that I am not alone, there are thousands of moms out there, of all colors who suffer with me. We have a common bond in our grief. But I think I can say for all of us we are happy the Elizabeth was found alive and we are happy for her family.

Cindy certainly did not get the media coverage that this child has but then Cindy was 19 and we did not have the money that the Smart family or the Levy family has. Our family and our missing daughter was not the center of media concern either. In Cindy's case the perpetrator was a white guy born and raised in Falls Church, Virginia. It is my opinion that he got a lot of break from the police and the press because of that fact.

Also I would note that during the same time the public was so alarmed about the snipers in D.C. metro area last year there was on one weekend in which five murders occurred in Baltimore within a 48 hour period and they went unreported in the national media. I only know of the crimes because I have friends in both Baltimore and D.C. I also lived area in which the snipers were taking their victims last year. But I left in July before they started their killing spree. I do think that the Baltimore murders were unreported because it was black on black instead of black on white and took place in not so affluent areas, NE and SW Baltimore. The areas that the D.C. snipers were hitting are not pure white but the average income in both Fairfax County Virginia and Montgomery County Maryland is just a tad over $100,000.00 and mostly white.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:01 am
Joanne, what a terrible thing to have happen. I'm sure that's something you never get over. Please accept my condolences regarding your daughter.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:09 am
Thanks chat I gladly accept your king thoughts. No, one never ever gets over this type of thing. But we do have our own little community world wide. Here in Fort Worth I meet twice a month with a victims survivor group sponsored by the District Attorney's Office and FWPD, we have a telephone tree. Last night the phone rang off the hook, when I was not on it calling others, lol.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:12 am
Joanne, I'm glad you're involved with a group like that. I don't know how a person could keep on going in such circumstances if it weren't for support groups such as the one you're involved in.

Hugs for you!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:15 am
We do hug alot in the group and I am lucky to have one in Ft. Worth they do not exist every where. Not all law enforcemtn agency's take the time to care about the victims let behind.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:22 am
I'm so sorry about that!
JoanneDorel wrote:
My daughter was abducted in February 1986 and her remains found in March 1987.

That must be the most terrible thing to happen to a family. My deepest sympathy goes to you and your family. It's something you do not wish to any other family.

It's sad that not all of these cases get the same kind of coverage maybe it could have made a difference.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:31 am
I have to weigh in with snood on this. I rejoice that Elizabeth Smart was rescued alive, but I agree that color and race weigh far to heavily in people's judgement. And, Joanne's assesment that money and social status will mostly win over the poor has equal weight. In 1969 my brother was murdered in a manner similar to the O J Simpson case. We being dirt poor and having no social standing in the community, it was swept under the rug by the law. The murderer was told to move out of the county. I have no doubt that had my family been rich the man would at least have stood trial. And look how many decades it took to do much about the 60s church bombing that took the lives of four little black girls. Nothing will make me believe that the government's hands were tied all that time. Sorry to be off the original thread subject. I found myself crying when I heard about the Smart girl's safe return.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:55 am
Joanne - may god continue to comfort you for that loss.

And thank you for not closing your eyes and heart.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:12 pm
On a more positive note, if Mr. Smart succeeds in getting congress to pass the Amber Alert bill it will benefit every race and social class. For that reason, this case needs to play out in full public view until something like that happens.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:25 pm
Mr. Smart needs to educate all of his kids in "Street Smarts". Namely, you don't talk to strangers and you don't go anywhere with strangers.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:52 pm
My kids don't go anywhere with anyone, unless we've pre-approved, they don't get rides home from schools or anyone's home unless the kids have made arrangements and we know in advance. They don't leave a friends house unless they call us and give us specifics and telephone numbers(even parents). We have pre-arranged directions, in the case something goes wrong or something gets fouled up. Our kids are trained to screen all incoming telephone calls, and have been trained on what to say and not say when someone is not home. Streetsmarts I work on that almost daily, while trying to have them retain there childhood.
Oh I forgot to mention both kids are teens, both still have that child like innocence, which I want to protect and nourish, as I thinks it's vital in human development and compassion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:58 pm
When a man breaks in through a window and points a gun no amount of street smarts will help.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:42 pm
edgarblythe I do agree with that -but I'm thinking my dog might be a hazard to an intruder.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 05:05 pm
In this case, the dog could well have been befriended by the man in the weeks prior to this. Then it would possibly have licked his hand while he did the deed.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 05:17 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
On a more positive note, if Mr. Smart succeeds in getting congress to pass the Amber Alert bill it will benefit every race and social class. For that reason, this case needs to play out in full public view until something like that happens.

Exactly!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 05:41 pm
I read on Yahoo that there was in fact no gun involved. He used a knife.
0 Replies