Homeland security

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:13 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
That doesn't work either, though, Brandon, because it's not like we can find some country full of people and attack it.

I'm referring mostly to attacking terrorist camps, safe houses, etc. As I describe above, a program of nothing but defense simply cannot work, although it can be one component of the strategy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:18 pm
Obviously, suspected terrorists can apply for asylum in the USA, like Posada did these days.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:30 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Obviously, suspected terrorists can apply for asylum in the USA, like Posada did these days.

Sure, anyone can apply for anything. Getting it is another matter. It would be a grave error to grant him asylum, since he's linked to the bombing of civilian airliners. Despite the fact that Cuba is a fascist dictatorship, common criminals like Posada should be turned over to the Cuban authorities. If he had merely tried to assasinate Castro, that would be something different.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:34 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Despite the fact that Cuba is a fascist dictatorship, common criminals like Posada should be turned over to the Cuban authorities. If he had merely tried to assasinate Castro, that would be something different.

I know: there are good terrorists, medium sized and bad terroists.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:35 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Despite the fact that Cuba is a fascist dictatorship, common criminals like Posada should be turned over to the Cuban authorities. If he had merely tried to assasinate Castro, that would be something different.

I know: there are good terrorists, medium sized and bad terroists (all Muslims belonging to the latter).

Who are the good terrorists? I would not agree that there are any. If you are asserting that attempting to assasinate your national ruler makes you a terrorist, I would certainly disagree. Your national ruler is not a non-combatant.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:36 pm
Perhaps the ones we paid and supported were good terrorists?

Wait, they turned out bad as well...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:37 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Perhaps the ones we paid and supported were good terrorists?

Wait, they turned out bad as well...

Cycloptichorn

Which ones were those?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:40 pm
This is as good a place as any to post this little tidbit.

Quote:
Ridge reveals clashes on alertsThe Bush administration periodically put the USA on high alert for terrorist attacks even though then-Homeland Security chief Tom Ridge argued there was only flimsy evidence to justify raising the threat level, Ridge now says.
Ridge, who resigned Feb. 1, said Tuesday that he often disagreed with administration officials who wanted to elevate the threat level to orange, or "high" risk of terrorist attack, but was overruled.

His comments at a Washington forum describe spirited debates over terrorist intelligence and provide rare insight into the inner workings of the nation's homeland security apparatus.

Ridge said he wanted to "debunk the myth" that his agency was responsible for repeatedly raising the alert under a color-coded system he unveiled in 2002.

"More often than not we were the least inclined to raise it," Ridge told reporters. "Sometimes we disagreed with the intelligence assessment. Sometimes we thought even if the intelligence was good, you don't necessarily put the country on (alert). ... There were times when some people were really aggressive about raising it, and we said, 'For that?' "

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-05-10-ridge-alerts_x.htm

http://img70.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img70&image=aproval_vs_alert_chart_NEW.gif

Hmmmm....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:45 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
If you are asserting that attempting to assasinate your national ruler makes you a terrorist, I would certainly disagree. Your national ruler is not a non-combatant.

Luis Posada Carriles is a Venezuelan citizen, born in Cuba and was paid by an US agency - how does this fit to your above?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:08 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
If you are asserting that attempting to assasinate your national ruler makes you a terrorist, I would certainly disagree. Your national ruler is not a non-combatant.

Luis Posada Carriles is a Venezuelan citizen, born in Cuba and was paid by an US agency - how does this fit to your above?

I regard terrorists as being people who deliberately target non-combatants. Had he merely tried to assasinate Castro, and confined himself to this activity, I would not consider him to be a terrorist.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:10 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

I regard terrorists as being people who deliberately target non-combatants. Had he merely tried to assasinate Castro, and confined himself to this activity, I would not consider him to be a terrorist.

So those attacking e.g. US troops are no terrorists anymore?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:15 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

So those attacking e.g. US troops are no terrorists anymore?

Not if they confined themselves to attacking US troops. If that were the case, they would simply be an opposition force. But sawing the heads off live civilian hostages, and planting bombs with no regard whatever for civilian deaths, make them terrorists. Shooting POWs (source) doesn't help either.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:25 pm
Does bombing civilians from planes remove one from responsibility for their deaths?

The insurgents could say 'we are always trying to kill US troops and Iraqi troops and Policemen; sometimes we miss, though, sorry, casualties of war and all.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:36 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Does bombing civilians from planes remove one from responsibility for their deaths?

The insurgents could say 'we are always trying to kill US troops and Iraqi troops and Policemen; sometimes we miss, though, sorry, casualties of war and all.'

Cycloptichorn

Anyone can say anything, but, sometime it's true and sometimes it's false. Holding civilian hostages for blackmail, and sawing their heads off while they're alive isn't accidental collateral damage by any stretch of the imagination. This by itself marks them as terrorists regardless of any other consideration. Also, though, from the articles I've seen about their bombs, it's my recollection that there is zero effort made to protect civilians, and in fact some cases where civilans were targeted, as on the Iraqi election day. Source
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:40 pm
I agree that hostages and such are the marks of terrorists.

But you have to realize that the insurgency isn't a well-organized group of people with clear, over-reaching orders and directives. There are plenty of crooks, thieves, murderers etc. as well as people who just want an occupying force out of their country. So to say that every action taken over there is indicative of the entire group would be false.

It isn't false, however, to say that orders to drop bombs on civilian areas come right from the top here in the US. I'm not trying to villify us with this statement; just to uphold my original one, saying that there is so much of this that is a matter of perspective that it becomes really difficult to villify the insurgents for their behaviour and hold ours up as a paragon of virtue...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:47 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I agree that hostages and such are the marks of terrorists.

...It isn't false, however, to say that orders to drop bombs on civilian areas come right from the top here in the US. I'm not trying to villify us with this statement; just to uphold my original one, saying that there is so much of this that is a matter of perspective that it becomes really difficult to villify the insurgents for their behaviour and hold ours up as a paragon of virtue...

Cycloptichorn

I don't find it that hard. There is evidence that the hostage taking comes from leaders like al Zarqawi. I have seen no evidence that our military has ever been instructed to target civilans on purpose. Hostage taking, murder of hostages, indiscriminate bombing, shelling polling places on election day, the recent execution of a POW from a downed helicopter. It sure looks to me like the good guys are fighting a band of subhuman scum. The standard practices of the Iraqi insurgents look about the same to me as throwing the crippled old man Leon Klinghoffer over the side of a ship in his wheelchair because he was a Jew, or the suicide bombers who bomb public places in Israel with nail bombs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:52 pm
Conversely, how about the Israeli soldiers who shoot Palestinian children? Like I said, there are two sides to every issue and it isn't always clean-cut.

Quote:
There is evidence that the hostage taking comes from leaders like al Zarqawi.

Can you link to this?

Quote:
It sure looks to me like the good guys are fighting a band of subhuman scum.

I'm sure it does, becuase to the Fighting 101st Keyboardists such as yourself, labelling us as the good guys makes everything we do pretty much okay, doesnt' it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:59 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Conversely, how about the Israeli soldiers who shoot Palestinian children?

Can you link to this?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Like I said, there are two sides to every issue and it isn't always clean-cut.

Not always, but sometimes.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
There is evidence that the hostage taking comes from leaders like al Zarqawi.

Can you link to this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17349-2004Oct8.html

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
It sure looks to me like the good guys are fighting a band of subhuman scum.

I'm sure it does, becuase to the Fighting 101st Keyboardists such as yourself, labelling us as the good guys makes everything we do pretty much okay, doesnt' it?

Cycloptichorn

My personal flaws or virtues are irrelevant, and nothing but a distraction from the logic of the argument. I am not arbitrarily declaring us to be the good guys and them to be scum. I am doing so for reasons which include factors like all of the ones I have listed above. People who shoot survivors of helicopters they have downed, who saw the heads off civilian hostages as they scream for mercy, or who bomb election places because they don't want democracy are properly called scum.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 02:41 pm
Brandon

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/stats/children.html

More later

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 02:43 pm
Brandon wrote
Quote:
I regard terrorists as being people who deliberately target noncombatants. Had he merely tried to assassinate Castro, and confined himself to this activity, I would not consider him to be a terrorist?

Based upon that definition had he or anyone attempted to assassinate Bush they would not be considered a terrorist. Is that what you believe? Or are there different rules for Bush?
0 Replies