omission of an article

esem

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:41 am
Hi, please could someone explain me, or give me links where I could find where I can ommit an article? I mean definite and undefinite articles,more in business English. For instance, the current set-up of monetary policy, why not the monetary policy. Or, in short term or in a short term?
The current rate of volatility and depreciation has been regarded by the NBS as a result of an excessive exchange-rate appreciation in the first months of this year. Why is there an excessive exchange rate and not a definite article the excessive exchange rate? Thanks a lot
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 600 • Replies: 3
No top replies

navigator

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:57 am
Hi esem, and welcome. I know that if I want to point to or mean a specific

thing I'd use the, but if some is known to everyone, I needn't use the.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 11:53 pm
Re: omission of an article
esem wrote:
Hi, please could someone explain me, or give me links where I could find where I can ommit an article? I mean definite and undefinite articles,more in business English. For instance, the current set-up of monetary policy, why not the monetary policy. Or, in short term or in a short term?

Articles, indefinate articles and such don't have the weight in English they do in other languages. From my understanding, you can omit any word so long as its omission does not effect the meaning of the sentence.

However, in some cases context overrules everything: "The current setup of monetary policy" implies something different than "the monetary policy." Specifically, it asserts a change in the monetary policy is needed, or that the current monetary policy is better than a proposed monetary policy. The phrase "the current setup of" is effectively an adjective.

Quote:
"The current rate of volatility and depreciation has been regarded by the NBS as a result of an excessive exchange-rate appreciation in the first months of this year."

Why is there an excessive exchange rate and not a definite article the excessive exchange rate?

The sentence breaks down like this:

THIS, SAYS THEM, IS BECAUSE OF THIS.

While I think I know what you're asking, that's all the help I can give you on this one. Sorry.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:55 am
It would be correct to say "the excessive exchange rate appreciation" (the appreciation is part of the noun phrase) if everyone to whom the sentence was addressed was familiar with a specific "excessive exchange rate appreciation" and knew what was being referenced. With the current context, I'm guessing that they aren't, and that the actual identity of the "excessive exchange rate appreciation" in question isn't important to the meaning of the sentence.
0 Replies