Why is "You're gay!" such an insult?

material girl

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:39 am
Cripes, does your friend use the N word when black people are around?

I feel like it is a black persons word.We have no 'rights' to use it positively or negatively!!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:29 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
I honestly feel that many of the problems afflicting modern african-american culture is because of this cycle of attempting to live out stereotypes that other people assign to your subculture. Of course attempting to completely model yourself after the dominant subculture equally leads to problems.

it bothers me that an african-amerian who doesn't conform to stereotypes gets characterized as "acting white". makes me wonder if it's an insult among homosexuals to say "that's so straight."
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:26 pm
material girl wrote:
Would anyone ever say 'your gay' to an actual gay person?

Only if they forget... in which case after a significant look they suddenly realise, get embarassed and go "oh yeah."

Quote:
I am not sure. I hear gay's alot rib each other by calling each other flamers, queens, or fags. It is good natured to be sure - but I think that it happens.

Entirely different, that's like black people calling eachother N(etc).

I have plenty of gay friends (I'm not).

Once you are sufficiently close friends with them, many seem to encourage you to make fun of their flaming gayness (in a joking way). I've seen it again and again in party situations, etc.

Ironically, its almost like if you refuse to joke with them about it, they almost consider you more of a prude and conservative about it all than someone that will let loose and joke about the reality of it.

Not all gays are like that, I guess. And I would caution one needs to know them fairly well, they already know you are okay with them being gay, etc.

Some of them like to joke about it.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:28 pm
Where I grew up, someone could say

"You are so straight"

and that would be an insult.

Interesting. Insult to be gay. Insult to be straight. Perhaps one should be Bi then they wouldn't get insulted? Now that meaning of "straight" might not be exactly 180 from gay, but sometimes thats what it meant...
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:03 pm
It is sensible and considerate to be polite when addressing any person. Usually, it is through a group having a good time, over indulging in alcohol versus a stranger who may be of different colour or standing who could get 'ribbed.' It is all of course 'just having a joke' but at whose expense? All people have feelings. There are two people close in proximity to where I live., they live together, they are obviously homosexuals. I see them in the street and have witnessed them being ridiculed by idiots. I was talking to them one day regarding this particular issue. I actually asked them if the abuse and threats got to them. The smaller of the two chaps aged approximately
24, stated, "Only if we loose our tempers."
His muscular frame actually said quite a lot and it was no difficulty in seeing where he was coming from. The colour you are born, or your particular traits in life are not made by choice, they are gifted to each, it's actually being fortunate or unfortunate in being here that is the relevant factor, not colour or other. I can allow for an element of banter on equal levels, which if proving to be causing offence can be toned down. Really it is all hectoring, and that is not so nice.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:17 pm
material girl wrote:
Would anyone ever say 'your gay' to an actual gay person?

Only if they forget... in which case after a significant look they suddenly realise, get embarassed and go "oh yeah."

Quote:
I am not sure. I hear gay's alot rib each other by calling each other flamers, queens, or fags. It is good natured to be sure - but I think that it happens.

Entirely different, that's like black people calling eachother N(etc).

I understand it is different. Black people calling each other Nigger's is a way for them to take the power away from that word. Same as gays, flamers, queens, what have you.

But that is not what the original poster said.

TTF
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:47 pm
Hey if there were 2 "cool" gay guys, would it be an insult for one of them to call the other one

"too straight" ?

"eeeuuuwww, those clothes are so 90's and out of style, you're dressing like a hetero guy..."
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:44 pm
Quote:
it bothers me that an african-amerian who doesn't conform to stereotypes gets characterized as "acting white". makes me wonder if it's an insult among homosexuals to say "that's so straight."

A pointed respones to someone who acts different to pass in front of straight folks -- or just for the hell of it.
0 Replies