Why is "You're gay!" such an insult?

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 11:50 am
Gotcha slappy. Missed the second portion of your sentence.

Sorry.

TTF
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 03:06 pm
That wasn't directed at you, TTF.

Kicky's question of using gay as an insult, and what I've typed has NOTHING to do with gay bashing. That's what I was referring to.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:05 pm
Cool. Sorry again then. Wink

TTF
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:10 am
I want to know when the word "gay" changed from being a word you use to describe how bright/lively something is into being a word used to label a certain lifestlye.

Is it because everyone that is homosexual is bright and lively or is that just the way Will and Grace makes the homosexual lifestlye seeming so fun and exciting or queer eye for the straight guy. There seems to be tons of tv shows out now adays that show being gay is ok.

What i never understood is how most people that are "gay" have that gentle voice with the signature "light on his feet" do they get that from tv or are is it something they were born with. Because now whenever i hear someone that is "gay" talk it seems they all talk the same.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:45 am
Gay is usually associated with homosexual men.
Homosexual men are feminine.
Being a woman/feminine is weak therefore being called gay is a downgrade from being a man.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:42 pm
I am not sure why it has such a ressurgence lately to hate on gays - but it does seem clear why the republican adgenda has decided to target them.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/jimwest/story.asp?ID=050905_west_deny

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/jimwest/story.asp?ID=050505_westmain

There is something about that guy I hate about myself.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:48 pm
material girl wrote:

Errr, not so much.

Ya need to get out a bit more.
Lotsa butch boys out there.
Also, lotsa fellas who are as vanilla as non-homosexuals.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 01:08 am
material girl wrote:

Shocked

I think she needs to meet me Laughing

If you describe being feminine as well dressed, aware, caring, tuned to other people - then I don't see why "feminine" is an insult !!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 01:22 am
No, a compliment!. Very Happy
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:01 am
Believe it or not, in some parts of San Francisco I grew up around, if you were straight, you were more of an outcast than if you were gay.

To be with the in crowd, one needed to have at least a little amibiguously gay tendencies...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:15 am
I dont think being called feminine is bad at all.I am a girl ya know.But for a straight guy to call a straight guy gay, its a put down(tho hopefully in a friendly way).

What I meant is that the general stereotype of a gay man is represented by acting in a feminine way eg voice, mannerisms, dressing well etc
Wheres the humour in depicting a gay man that appears as straight as a homosexual?!
Im aware they dont all act like Elton John.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 11:12 am
extra medium wrote:
Believe it or not, in some parts of San Francisco I grew up around, if you were straight, you were more of an outcast than if you were gay.

To be with the in crowd, one needed to have at least a little amibiguously gay tendencies...

Well THAT explains a lot!!! Huh Huh Huh

DANG!!! See I am a man and I can't resist the homophobic joke! Wink

TTF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 11:15 am
material girl wrote:
I dont think being called feminine is bad at all.I am a girl ya know.But for a straight guy to call a straight guy gay, its a put down(tho hopefully in a friendly way).

What I meant is that the general stereotype of a gay man is represented by acting in a feminine way eg voice, mannerisms, dressing well etc
Wheres the humour in depicting a gay man that appears as straight as a homosexual?!
Im aware they dont all act like Elton John.

Don't you think Material Girl - that your post hits the underlying issue of our view of women.

The reason that Gay is ultimatly a put down is because we are calling a Man Feminine and women are not viewed as equals or in a positive light in many ways.

You throw like a girl - you run like a girl - you pee like a girl - whatever.

I think the paradigm example of how our world is anti-feminine is the pandemic of male to femal violence in the home. It became illehal in the 90's (in America) and has not gotten much better yet.

TTF
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:30 pm
Yeppers - well said.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:33 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
extra medium wrote:

Well THAT explains a lot!!! Huh Huh Huh
DANG!!! See I am a man and I can't resist the homophobic joke! Wink
TTF

Ha ha ha. Very funny. What are you, a homo? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:59 pm
DAMN! The secret is out.

By the way... nice ass. Wink

TTF
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:12 pm
material girl wrote:

I'm just flabbergasted by this question/statement. Making fun of people because of their sexual orientation is as offensive as making fun of them because of gender, race, disability.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:14 pm
material girl wrote:
But for a straight guy to call a straight guy gay, its a put down(tho hopefully in a friendly way).

It's unlikely to be taken in a friendly way, and is a great way to get fired if it happens in a work setting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:43 pm
Is your new avatar a celebration of some regionally important Canadian entertainer? Cant say Ive evr seen er in Elle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:10 pm
FM, that's a self-portrait she did with the digital cam i gave her . . . you really put your foot in it this time ! ! !
0 Replies