Handicap Parking

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:26 pm
I was out for a walk at lunch today when I noticed something very odd. Most of the cars in a two block area had a handicap notice hanging from their rear view mirror. There was about 8 - 10 cars with this with about 20 cars total. That is 50%. Then I also noticed all the meters where these cars were parked were blinking zero minutes left. Odd I am thinking.

I then see a policeman with his tickets out and notice him walking pass the cars and ready to write a ticket for the last car in the block. So I ask him do handicap plates not to have to pay for meters. He answers they are exempt from meters. I then notice he is writing out a ticket for a car with a handicap notice. He explains to me that the particular car has a notice that has been taped, stapled, etc. so he is writing out a ticket where the offender is then either required to pay the fee or can prove that the handicap notice is legit. I am thinking with 50% of the cars parked here with a handicap notice - I doubt they are all legit especially since the street in quite a distance from any building. What's up?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,759 • Replies: 30
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:31 pm
I don't know! Where do you live Linkat?

Here in California they've started to stamp the
handicap sign into the license plates, which means
they'll get a handicap license plate only if it's legitimate.

No need to check then...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:42 pm
This was in Boston - South Boston to be exact. The policeman explained to me that the one he gave a ticket to is using an old notice - the new notice is one in which it hangs from your review view mirror. It looks a little like the do not disturb signs at a hotel. It looks like it may have expiration dates and other official codes on it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:46 pm
It was harder than he77 for me to get mine and it's only temporary and soon to expire - a doctor can get into a heap of trouble for being less than honest for the need of a permit.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:28 am
You're right, husker, but how many people are driving around with someone else's permit? I know someone who has her deceased mother's permit in her car -- she says she only uses it when she absolutely can't find another parking place.

I say fooey to that.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 08:09 am
I think we all agree that legitimate users of handicap parking permits are not the problem. They are just as angry, or even angrier, about illegal use of parking perits as you are.
The concept of handicap parking is is a good one.
We need to find ways to find violaters/abusers of the system and give out hefty fines.

A relevent side note. I recently drove in Washington, D.C. and unknowingly parked in a spot that becomes a traffic lane during rush hour. The fine was $100! I said to my wife, no way am I paying a hundred bucks for a parking fine. Besides, they're not going to bother us in Michigan. Two or three days later, we got a letter from Washington, D.C. saying you didn't pay your fine on time so tbe revised fine is now $200 and, by the way, we have reciprocity with MI so you better think about paying your new fine on time.
We did.

A hefty fine of $100 for abusers of handicap parking might do the trick.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:46 am
Billy - you might have parked in the same area I did in DC - It was several years back not quite $100 bucks, but the sign said tow zone. What they did was tow the car onto the side and slap on a parking ticket plus tow fee. I was just so glad that my car wasn't towed, I was happy to pay the fee.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:22 am
It was something like $300 in L.A.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:33 am
Wait a minute...I have no problem with the handicapped being able to park in the close spots no matter what your disability, but I do have a problem with them not having to pay the meter. What the hell?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:46 am
I have a theory that many handicapped parking spaces are really put in for another reason - to provide emergency access when needed.

Ever go to a golf course or ski area, or federal or state building for that matter, and see all the empty handicap spaces right up front?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:54 pm
I have a handicapped placard in PA. I get extra time on any standard parking meter--30 to 60 minutes.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 02:15 pm
I don't get it? Why?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 02:20 pm
Slugs. Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 04:50 pm
Probably because it takes handicapped people longer to cover the same ground than "abled" people.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 04:54 pm
That makes sense, I guess, but it's still wrong though.

What about the guy who has to drive around the block four extra times to get a space? He then gets to pay extra for gas as well as the parking.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 05:11 pm
cjsha--

Since I have the major inconvenience of genetically cursed brittle bones, I relish every single one of the perks.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 05:15 pm
Speaking as a woman who suffers a certain amount of inconvenience from frequent spontaneous fractures of major bones, I relish my perks--such as a little extra time on a parking meter and a little shorter walk between the car and my destination.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:53 pm
Noddy, all y'all that need the handicapped spaces can park free, I think. You're putting up with more than I am on so many levels.

As far as saving gas, I haven't owned a car in twenty years or had a driver's license for more than fifteen... I go pretty much where I want to, although it takes longer usually. How else would I keep up on my reading? Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:03 pm
Wy--

Thanks--from one addicted reader to another.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:54 am
I gotta agree with cjsha. Sometimes I have to park a thousand miles away and then have to feed more money into the meter to ensure I don't have to pay an expired meter. I don't think that is fair at all. I understand the reasoning behind the free meter for the handicapped but I don't agree with it.

This is not to say you shouldn't enjoy the perk. :wink: If it's there, use it.
0 Replies