Handicap Parking

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:00 am
I honestly do not have a problem with allowing free parking at meters for handicap parking. My issue was that there were significantly more cars parked in these two blocks with handicap passes than other cars and these parking spaces were far from any buildings. It really did not make sense that there were so many handicap drivers especially in these two blocks in the middle of no where. I am more concerned that this appears to be an abuse of the system rather than the well meaning of helping those that truly need help.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:02 am
Linkat wrote:
I honestly do not have a problem with allowing free parking at meters for handicap parking. My issue was that there were significantly more cars parked in these two blocks with handicap passes than other cars and these parking spaces were far from any buildings. It really did not make sense that there were so many handicap drivers especially in these two blocks in the middle of no where. I am more concerned that this appears to be an abuse of the system rather than the well meaning of helping those that truly need help.

Well that too. I definitly think the spaces should be there but I don't think that I should have to walk a mile and pay. Maybe I am an evil person but that's what I feel.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:05 am
The odd thing is Bella that in these particular spaces, the able bodied and the handicap would need to walk a mile (maybe not quite, but a good distance) to any sort of building. That is what makes it especially odd. I wonder if handicap is still required to stay within the time limit though as that would explain why they would park in these particular blocks as these are the only meters that I have seen in the Boston area with a 4 hour time limit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:07 am
Linkat wrote:
The odd thing is Bella that in these particular spaces, the able bodied and the handicap would need to walk a mile (maybe not quite, but a good distance) to any sort of building.

That doesn't make sense. The purpose for handicapped spaces is to bring them closer to the building....hmmm, something is afoot.....methinks you should investigate.

OOO, a mystery!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:22 am
Maybe they all bought the tags from me on Ebay.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:23 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Maybe they all bought the tags from me on Ebay.

Got any left?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:24 am
Wow...I just checked Ebay. People really are selling old plates/tags.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:26 am
People suck.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
I did check Mass meter rules and this is what it states:

No fee shall be required to be deposited in a parking meter as provided in this Section for the parking of any vehicle owned and driven by a disabled veteran or by a handicapped person and bearing a distinctive number plate or placard authorized by Section 2 of Chapter 90 of Massachusetts General Laws.

No person shall permit a vehicle to remain in a parking meter space beyond the time limit as indicated on the parking meter. However, the driver of a commercial vehicle, as defined herein, may park for up to three (3) hours provided that said fee is paid. In the event said meter is out of order, commercial vehicles may not park for longer than one (1) hour. Furthermore, the time limits imposed by this section shall not apply to disabled veteran/handicap plate/handicap placard vehicles, as defined.

So I guess it really doesn't make much sense. Maybe I will go for another walk today and check out the streets closest to my building to see if there are so many handicapped cards. I had actually asked the police officer about it while he was ticketing one suspicious "handicapped" vehicle. He said the card looked tampered with so he will give a ticket and the car owner then needs to go to the police station with evidence that it is a "true" handicap placard or pay the fine. So it does look like the police are doing as much as they can under the circumstances.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:32 am
O-K so I investigated. Apparantely these spots in front of my building and the few other surrounding buildings have a sign on the meters that state 2 hour limit strictly enforced including handicap vehicles. So what probably happened is that these handicap abusers were taking advantage (working a full day of work and parking all day for free) and there were no spaces nearby in which those just parking for a couple hours could not park (without walking several blocks) so they had to install these signs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:40 am
And I thought maybe it was a secret meeting of the peg leg club.
0 Replies