I've got a bad case of schedenfreude

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:37 am
I usually don't take pleasure in the hardship of others but I must confess to a certain amount of hilarity when people who hold themselves up as morally superior are exposed as hypocrites.

I'm talking about the mayor of Spokane, Washington and his baloney.

Yes, James West. The man who....

...supported a bill that would have barred gay men and lesbians from working in schools, day-care centers and some state agencies. It called for screening prospective employees for sexual orientation and firing employees whose homosexuality became known.

....voted to bar the state from distributing pamphlets telling people how to protect themselves from AIDS during sex. He said such instruction "is something people go buy at dirty bookstores.

...proposed that teen sex be criminalized.

Yes, James West, the fierce opponet of abortion rights and gay rights who...

...was offering internships to a young man on the gay chat site.

...was complaining about "sex-Nazi" telling everyone else what to do.

...now stand accused of molesting boys in his scouting troup years ago.

The man who considered his private life private while sticking his nose in everybody else's.....

...now wants us to pray for him.

Personally, I think I'll pray for all of the people who were affected by the idiotic laws this man supported.

Read all about it: http://spokesmanreview.com/jimwest/story.asp?ID=050505_west_politics

As long as I live I will never be able to understand such hypocracy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,257 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:05 am
Oh my.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:09 am
Hehe, "Schadenfreude" is always the best. It's the icing
on someone's cake Wink

I hope he's man enough to resign now.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:21 am
Provided that the child molestation charges are unfounded, I'm of mixed mind about him leaving office (which he says he will not).

I'm torn between "kick the hypocrite out" and "if they do, then this whole cockamamie morality gang wins".

Of course, he was probably elected on the basis of superior morals so I imagine they'll kick him out.

I thought it was interesting that his opponet for the mayor's race knew all about his homosexual dalliances and chose not to use them during the election because she thought it was unfair to attack his personal life.

And she lost to someone of such steadfast moral virtue!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:22 am
Our Dear Boom wrote:
I've got a bad case of schedenfreude

Have you consulted your family physician? It is not a good idea to let these things go unchecked.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:26 am
Yep, this story is all over the place around here. I remember West when he was in the state legislature--a powerful guy, he was. Typical Eastern Washington Republican. What a goddam hypocrite.

He thinks he can stay in office as mayor of Spokane though he admits to using the internet to hook up with men. This should be interesting...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:50 am
My doctor prescribed 200 eye rolls and 15 soul shaking belly laughs.

I'm also finding that singing the thread title to the tune of Robert Palmer's "Bad Case of Lovin' You" to be helpful but that's just a home remedy that may not work for everyone.

Yes, D'art, for him to think he'll be ALLOWED to stay in office....
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 07:13 am
Sounds a bit like our ex prime minister John Major who had a policy of "Back to Basics" this was a policy of getting back from the current cesspool of immorality that Britain is steeped in, I.E. girls having had 20 sexual partners by the age of sixteen, the idea of being faithful to your spouse being regarded as "old hat" etc.,

Problem for Johnny was that for the entire time of his back to basics campaigne he was shagging tory minister Edwina Currie, presumably without the consent of his wife or Mrs. Curries husband.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 07:23 am
Maybe he'll feel better if he realises he can be who he is and no-one cares much (provided he's not a child-molester). Good cure for hypocrisy.

They don't care if he's gay - or do they?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 07:26 am
I rather suspect, GF, that most won't care whether or not he is gay--but they will care about the raging, hateful hypocricy in which he formerly dealt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 07:32 am
If he had been a Democrat, Republicans would have trumpeted the whole story, plus added details never heard of previously.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 07:35 am
Setanta wrote:
I rather suspect, GF, that most won't care whether or not he is gay--but they will care about the raging, hateful hypocricy in which he formerly dealt.

Good point Setanta - but I suppose the reactions will differ. I've been told continuously that "character" matters in politics so I suppose he's going to be shown the door at the next election. The question is should it be for his two-faced and vicious hypocrisy or should it be because he is gay?

Personally I'd boot him for the hypocrisy as I would boot any hypocrite politician. I've no problem voting for or against anyone who declared themselves gay or lesbian (although I suppose that begs the question as to why I would bother what their sexual orientation was in the first place) - more interested in policy than "character" or their personal lives.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 08:20 am
The voters who elected him certainly expected something a bit different than what they ended up with but despite his personal life he did represent them in the way that he had promised.

It will be interesting to see how they react.

Today's paper says that it was a pretty open secret that he was bisexual but the gay community never outed him, good for them.

The child molestation charges will not be investigated as the statute of limitations has expired.

What everyone seems to be focusing on is the abuse of his office of mayor by offering an internship to the man on the chat line.

(Side note: the man on the chat line was a forensic computer guy hired by the newspaper to find out if a particular poster on the gay chat site was indeed the mayor.)

There may be other abuse of office charges.

I would love to hear the word on the street in Spokane but from everything I've been reading the people in that city are being pretty cool about it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 09:10 am
I'm reminded of the troubles of the recent governor of NJ who hired his paramour as an expert of some sort. The sordid story unraveled when the paramour threatened to out the governor's sexual preferences and the governer chose to go public. Bedroom behavior is private--spending tax money to feed a personal friend (or family member) from the public trough is public business and should be discussed in public.

When mighty oaks crash from inner hypocracy--with everyone watching-- they make a lovely boom.
0 Replies