I need to know if a sentence structure is correct

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:21 pm
Is this sentence correct? This golf masterpiece has the golfer encounter 62 strategically placed bunkers, several lakes and streams throughout this links style course.

I am in disagreement with my co-worker. She says that you can not use "has" in the sentence, so "has the golfer encounter" is incorrect. I disagree. Can you help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 546 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:27 pm
Adrienne, try this --

"The golfer will encounter 62 strategically placed bunkers, several lakes and many streams on this golf masterpiece."

welcome to A2k Smile
0 Replies

Adrienne

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:34 pm
That sounds good, but is the original sentance incorrect?
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:02 pm
I would say that the construction "has the golfer encounter" is not incorrect, precisely, but is colloquial and should be avoided in all but the most informal writing. "The golfer will encounter" is an excellent alternative.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:03 pm
Single subject/single predicate: "Masterpiece" is singular and takes "has".

Incidently, among pedants, the title of your thread would be:

"I need to know whether the sentence is correct.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:56 pm
I believe that among pedants there would be disagreement as to whether "whether" or "if" is preferrable. There would also be those who would opt for "whether or not".
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:19 pm
The original statement is correct....yet oddly, I find it very difficult to read. As we know commas are used to delineate members in lists of 3 or more (and you do have 3 members) and you have omitted the comma before the and (which is optional)...but reading it, my mind strongly expects more in the list. I can't tell you why. I feel that if you removed the word 'several', the 'mental illusion' would disappear. Does anyone else agree?

On the issue of whether: "whether or not" certainly sounds better to me, but whether by itself is correct and possibly the preferred usage?
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:52 am
I agree with stuh505 that "62 strategically placed bunkers, several lakes and streams" is a very awkward-sounding list, and it is wholly unclear whether "several" refers to (a) both lakes and streams or (b) just lakes.

If (a), then how about "several lakes and streams, and 62 strategically placed bunkers"?

If (b), I suggest "streams, several lakes and 62 strategically placed bunkers".

Or add an adjective or adjectival phrase indicating how many streams there are: "62 strategically placed bunkers, several lakes and [five/many/a number of] streams". This is not only perfectly clear but balances the list; each noun is qualified.
0 Replies