why do boys show off in front of their mates

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:39 am
hey i was talking to my boyfriend online today and he really seemed different, he wasnt talking as much and he wasnt as sweet as he is normally. i'm not sure whats wrong, however, he was with his mates, and he might just have been pretending not to be so sweet, or he could just not like me as much as i thought. i'm worried, incase he has just gone off me, or is it normal for boys not to act like softies in front of their mates, pretending they're the ones in charge of the relationship? please help tanx xxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,568 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:46 am
Yes it is normal... nothing to worry about
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:57 am
It's not always about "pretending to be in charge" in front of his mates.

He may just prefer privacy. Some people don't like gushing in public.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:49 pm
along this line, I'vd noticed many men have a need to be MACHO in front of their buddies. I mean to the point where it seems stuipd. Why, is the question. Why so competetive or a need to PROVE their maleness?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:39 am
Princessmirabella - can you give us more detail?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:26 am
In my experience guys will do anything to humilaite a girl infront of their mates.Sad but true.
I dont know if its the guys Iv had the misfortune of meeting but a couple inparticular have been complete kn*bs in the past and sadly it still effects me after years.
Some guys will be lovey dovey in private to get what they want, then in front of mates/other people they will be humiliating or distant.

I get the impression that at a certain age its ok to sleep with a girl and brag about the conquest but to admit to actually liking her is a complete no no to guys.

Sex yes, liking no.

I dont mean to sound so negative, yes some guys are just shy as previously stated but there are SOME that completely screw things up for the decent guys of the world.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:43 am
Guys get distracted by a lot of things, especially when hanging out with their friends. Also, online conversations are not always necessarily engaging, particularly if something is interesting enough to be a distraction in the first place. Don't read too much into this, princess.

Heck, you could even just ask him what was up.... Do it in person, not online. Better that way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:54 am
Sure - I am just a bit interested in what the "in charge of the relationship" stuff meant.

Of course, we all exhibit different characteristics in different social settings - and most of us prefer to keep the lovey dovey stuff private - I was just wondering if there was a hint of something more here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:56 am
material girl wrote:
In my experience guys will do anything to humilaite a girl infront of their mates.Sad but true.
I dont know if its the guys Iv had the misfortune of meeting but a couple inparticular have been complete kn*bs in the past and sadly it still effects me after years.
Some guys will be lovey dovey in private to get what they want, then in front of mates/other people they will be humiliating or distant.

I get the impression that at a certain age its ok to sleep with a girl and brag about the conquest but to admit to actually liking her is a complete no no to guys.

Sex yes, liking no.

I dont mean to sound so negative, yes some guys are just shy as previously stated but there are SOME that completely screw things up for the decent guys of the world.

I hope your experience is no longer occurring.

Believe me, there are plenty of guys out there who are not the mindless neanderthals you are describing.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:44 am
dlowan-Its no longer occuring because either no guy is interested in me or, due to past experience Ive developed a defense mechanism which makes me cautious/distant which is my way of finding out if a guy is interested or not yet Ive recently realised it probably repels guys.
So I dont know if it not happening is a good or bad thing.Im either single and insecure or spoken for and insecure

Ho hum, il never work guys out.They dont seem to realise that, intensional or not, one nasty comment can last a lifetime.

I promise you that I know there are some lovely guys out there.Ive just got to find one and not scare him off.

Blah blah blah, poor me..violins please, blah blah blah...
God, no wonder I repel guys!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:48 am
Princess - this is true of many young men, but I promise most out grow it.

Material Girl - there are good ones, really, keep looking.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:58 am
Hello & welcome to A2K, princessmirabella! Very Happy

It could be that boys don't like the idea of their mates knowing that they have <gasp!> feelings!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:31 am
msolga-very true

I think it must be an age thing.Now my guy friends are approaching their 30's they are becoming more gentlemanly.
Shame it takes so long.
0 Replies

princessmirabella

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:24 am
hey thanks everyone... i actually told him how i felt... he said he didnt want his mates to be like ooohh hehe and everythings cool hehe i guess guys just feel they need 2 act "macho" in front of their mates not sure why xxxxxxx
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:25 pm
I'm glad that you talked to him.

And I blame testosterone.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:59 pm
What's wrong with showing off?

If I'm around a woman that catches my interest, I won't hesitate to throw someone out of their wheelchair who is passing by. Or beat up a little kid. Anything to show the little lady who "the man" is.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:04 pm
Dlowan, you shocked me! Shocked!

Quote:
Believe me, there are plenty of guys out there who are not the mindless neanderthals you are describing.

Stereotyping the hapless Neanderthals.... Are you feeling well?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:18 pm
Yes - I worried about that the moment the pixels hit the ether.

PS: Girls show off in front of their mates, too!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 09:47 am
As a friend and defender of maligned adult Neanderthals, I have to point out that posturing, he-man behavior by young males is "normal" in chimps, gorillas, orangutans, homo erectus aka Java Man--and erect is on-hind-legs) and probably young Neanderthals.

If the emerging studs behaved that way in front of full-grown males, they'd risk getting metaphorically or physically flattened. Instead they gather in supportive peer groups and flaunt testosterone. Perhaps they even smell each others testosterone and the atmosphere accelerates the he-mannish behavior.

At any rate given the problem of being a lusty stud for his mates and a caring lover to you the guy will opt for lusty stud behavior. After all, he doesn't want to kiss and cuddle with his mates.

As for sweet young girls....

Last month I went to a film festival and half the show was in the crowds waiting outside. In spite of typical NYC April weather the young, nubile lasses were displaying their charms with goose pimples on their baby fat. Just in case they weren't conspicuously undressed enough to announce themselves as potential mates they were twitching and wiggling and giggling and squealing (broad guestures and high pitched sounds carry better through the jungle foliage).

Ah, springtime! Ah, hormones! Ah, youth! Ah, confusion!
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:33 pm
Neandertal men attract cave-women.
0 Replies