Profile of Al Queda #3 just captured

rayban1

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:38 pm
This guy apparently filled the shoes of Sheikh Mohammed after he was captured about a year ago:

Profile: Abu Faraj al-Libbi

By Aamer Ahmed Khan
BBC News, Karachi

Pakistani government 'most-wanted' advert
Libbi, top right, on a Pakistani government "most-wanted" advert
Abu Faraj al-Libbi is a Libyan described by officials in Pakistan as the key al-Qaeda operative in the country.

But until a year ago, he was a relatively unknown figure in the hierarchy of alleged militants on the run since 11 September.

Libbi's name was first made public in Pakistan last year when it was included in the poster of six most-wanted militants issued by the government.

Along with Amjad Farooqi - a man desperately wanted by Pakistani authorities for his alleged involvement in sectarian militancy inside the country - Libbi was advertised as a "terrorist" with 20m rupees ($340,000) offered for information leading to his arrest.

Breakthrough

Informed investigators working for the Pakistani military say Libbi, who suffers from the skin disorder, luecoderma, and used the alias Dr Tawfiq, had not initially been considered a major player in al-Qaeda by Pakistani authorities.

Every time we interrogate a militant linked to al-Qaeda, al-Libbi's name pops up
Security official

It was only through the interrogation of a number of suspects - arrested between January and August last year - that the Pakistani authorities started taking note of his presence in the hierarchy, investigators say.

One security official said: "Every time we interrogate a militant linked to al-Qaeda, al-Libbi's name pops up."

According to Pakistani investigators, the first breakthrough came with the arrest of Naeem Noor Khan in Lahore in July last year.

Security officials say that Khan's interrogation revealed the extent of al-Qaeda operations in which Libbi and Farooqi were involved.

The two were learned to be actively communicating with al-Qaeda operatives outside Pakistan and in particular in the UK.

The UK media ran several stories on Libbi's alleged plans to "carry out pre-election attacks in the US" for which he was said to be in touch with various UK-based agents through coded messages managed by Khan.

'Critical intelligence'

Libbi's exact standing in al-Qaeda remains unclear, but Pakistani and Western intelligence officials generally believe he took over as third in command of the organisation when his mentor, alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, was captured in March 2003.

Farooqi was killed in a shootout with police in Nawabshah in central Sindh province in September 2004.

Aftermath of second assassination attempt
Musharraf survived two attempts on his life in Rawalpindi in 2003

Security officials say Libbi has since been the main contact between al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden and Islamic militants operating inside Pakistan.

According to Pakistani security officials, the arrest last December of six militants from Karachi provided the authorities with some "critical intelligence" about Libbi's whereabouts.

Libbi's arrest was preceded by a spate of speculation regarding "a major operation" in Pakistan's tribal belt of Waziristan - first hinted at by the head of US forces in Afghanistan, Lt Gen David Barno.

But irrespective of whether Libbi was specifically the focus, his arrest is still being described by Pakistani and Western officials as hugely significant.

President Pervez Musharraf has directly blamed him for financing and supervising two attempts on his life in December 2003.

He is also regarded as the prime suspect in a number of bombing incidents in Pakistan, including last year's attempt to kill Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz.

His arrest is being described as the biggest breakthrough in Pakistan since the capture of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,221 • Replies: 53
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:26 am
Good catch. Let's get some info, tourture him then kill him!
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:03 am
ABSOLUTELY AGREE
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:04 am
God, try not to be so joyfull about killing someone, sickos.

The fact is that if ya don't get Bin Laden, it doesn't matter. There's always someone to fill the roles beneath him. This chump will just be replaced with another chump...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:13 am
Agree about the glee, Cyclopticorn. Do it anyway, perhaps.

True, but maybe we can increase the cost of being a chump till it just doesn't pay. Who knows, maybe Pakistan is not the R&R spot of their dreams, either.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:17 am
We'll never increase it that much. Never.

Because this is a holy war to those people. We've united some factions of Islaam tremendously by our actions.

When you have someone who TRULY BELIEVES that they are going to go to heaven for fighting you, and they have NO fear of death, then they are extremely dangerous. And that is exactly what we are dealing with here; people who are willing to lay EVERYTHING on the line for what they believe in.

They don't give a damn about money or whether or not they live or die. I just don't see how we can 'increase the cost' any farther.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:21 am
"They don't give a damn about money or whether or not they live or die. I just don't see how we can 'increase the cost' any farther. "

Then what is wrong with interrogate, torture then kill? They want to die, so let them die.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:36 am
It doesn't solve anything. It doesn't accomplish anything to kill them, other than to remove a potential threat.

I don't believe torture is right, no matter what the enemy did. It is wrong to torture, categorically. Do you disagree with this, Woiyo? If so, you really aren't any different then they are whom you advocate killing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:17 pm
I believe torture is fine if it saves innocent lives (in this case, possibly millions of lives). This guy is far from innocent of anything. He's a murderer with murderous plans.

I like the Jack Bauer approach.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:18 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It doesn't solve anything. It doesn't accomplish anything to kill them, other than to remove a potential threat.

I don't believe torture is right, no matter what the enemy did. It is wrong to torture, categorically. Do you disagree with this, Woiyo? If so, you really aren't any different then they are whom you advocate killing.

Cycloptichorn

Then killing them does accomplish something. It stops that person and maybe someone else from doing the same thing.

I agree with torture if it the only way to obtain information that might save an American or allied life.

The rest of your statment is typical liberal BS. I kill to protect others.

Most of these so called terrorists kill civilians for no VALID reason.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:19 pm
You and millions of other uneducated gun nuts like the 'Jack Bauer' approach.

Real life isn't 24, I'm sorry to let you in on this little clue.

Sheesh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You and millions of other uneducated gun nuts like the 'Jack Bauer' approach.

Real life isn't 24, I'm sorry to let you in on this little clue.

Sheesh

Cycloptichorn

Who is Jack Bauer and what is 24????

Uneducated gun nut??? You are desperate I see.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:39 pm
Heh, was talking to cjhsa, not you, Woiyo.

24 is a TV show in which lead character Jack Bauer fights terrorism and a bunch of other stuff, with no regard for law whatsoever, and tortures and kills people whenever he deems necessary. I'm sure he's some sort of hero to those who have no clue what reality is like.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Heh, was talking to cjhsa, not you, Woiyo.

24 is a TV show in which lead character Jack Bauer fights terrorism and a bunch of other stuff, with no regard for law whatsoever, and tortures and kills people whenever he deems necessary. I'm sure he's some sort of hero to those who have no clue what reality is like.

Cycloptichorn

Oh...Sorry. I do not watch TV (except baseball games).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:46 pm
So, Cy, this guy must be one of your buds eh?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:00 pm
Question I don't follow ya. You were the one who was admiring Jack Bauer, not me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:09 pm
Libbi. I suspect you see "eye to eye" with him.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:38 pm
Maybe we should try apologizing to him for foisting our culture upon him and his people. Maybe if we just sat down and talked with him, we might understand him better .... we might learn what he's feeling, and then we would know why he feels it's necessary to blow up or cut off the heads of innocent people. Maybe we could then ask them to forgive us, and beg him to stop his worldwide campaign of terror.

Think that will work?
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:41 pm
Torture is immoral and ineffective.

Torture is along the lines of what they would be expected to do, we needn't stoop to their level.

Even the US army interrogation manual says torture is ineffective, and humane treatment is a better tool for gathering info.

In the long run, torture endangers more innocent lives than saves them.

And there is scant proof that torture provides credible information (Except on FOX's 24).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:53 pm
That's why humiliation, stress positions and mental fatigue do not equal torture. Those actions get results, torture does not. Some people like to call it torture because it's a nice buzzword. Really gets the fingers typing when you call it torture.
0 Replies