no more "French Fries"

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:22 pm
Heh heh, Americans can pretty much call them whatever they want, however moronic....the correct culinary term for what we know as "French Fries" is "Pont Neuf" which refers to the size the potato is cut. The French have many other terms for fried potatoes..."Hickory Sticks" = "Pommes Allumettes", for example....as for the Belgians, everyone knows they cook better than the French these days Very Happy and they drink more beer than wine!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:23 pm
If I heard correctly on the news this morning, congress has actually done it already. This makes it not funny, but Stupid. I say, if they're that hellbent on being stupid, they should at least avoid being hypocritical, and petty about it. If you're serious, don't keep eating french influenced foods under a different name; eliminate them from the menu period! And then tell them to take their Statue of Liberty, and shove it. That way, although they would still be STUPID, at lieast I would respect their STUPID asses for being earnest, and sincere.....And that's my humble, two cents worth.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:27 pm
Since when has the fear of appearing stupid stopped a politician from grandstanding? Have you ever listened to their speeches in Congress?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:27 pm
Erm, wasn't 'Liberty Cabbage' a term Grandpa Simpson used once?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:28 pm
Actually, I would appreciate a little American flag on my All American Cheeseburger.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:29 pm
........ALL POINTS BULLETIN!!!...ALL POINTS BULLETIN!!!....

Dadgummit!....Where's the Lightwizard's stinging sarcasm when we need it? Anybody know why he's MIA, since Thursday?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:30 pm
Well, okay, Booman, it is kinda dumb. Especially if it's true that the action was passed by the Congressional comittee on security.

Security?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:32 pm
D'artagnan, ......Touche' Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:36 pm
Boy, is my PC malfunctioning. It seems like Roger said that was done by the commitee on Security. But that couldn't be. That would be completly redicu...... oh never mind. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:49 pm
Just to clear the air on this matter of national importance: According to this morning's NY Times, "Representative Bob Ney, the Ohio Republican who is chairman of the House Administration Committee, which is responsible for House operations, ordered the word 'French' stricken from all House menus. The action was unilateral. No vote ws required."

Now, here's the kicker: The article goes on to say that Ney is of French descent and speaks French fluently...
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:53 pm
Surprised Shocked Confused
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:56 pm
So, if I understand that correctly,
Ney is of freedom descent and speaks freedom fluently?
(I might have got something wrong - but since I had freedom beans for lunch, which are now revolting ....)
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 03:01 pm
OK,..just got back from the market, time to cook dinner for the family I work for,..tonight's menu:

Tossed Greens with Freedom Dressing
Homemade Freedom Bread
Freedomed Rack of Lamb, with Asparagus and Freedom Fries
Assorted Freedom Pastries and Freedom Roast Coffee

(I printed menu cards, just cause the boss thought the "freedom frie" thing was such a great idea this morning! Laughing)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 03:21 pm
You work for a moron, ya know that, Jerry?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 03:34 pm
steissd: did i read your reference incorrectly "The French Embassy did not seem amused. Its press officer declined comment, except to say that french fries originated in Belgium"?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 03:47 pm
Shocked
Everything we always wanted to know about the fried potato thingie, but were afraid to ask.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 03:59 pm
I already unfolded the secrets of the Belgian Fries. Read them at the beginning of this thread.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 04:09 pm
More grist for the mill:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/opinion/luckovich/
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 04:30 pm
Just tell me what college offers the best courses in this subject? Smile
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 04:33 pm
What subject? Frying the potato chips? No college is needed, just some days of apprenticeship in local McDonald's Laughing
0 Replies