no more "French Fries"

Gala

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:57 am
No doubt, the French will consider removing their name from American cuisine to be a triumph.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:47 am
ebrown_p wrote:
After all the French were instrumental in giving us our freedom.... and this is how we are going to show our thanks?

For French kingdom this was pure geopolitics; they had problems with UK, Americans were enemies of the UK, so they supported Americans. I do not think that king Louis XVI was a supporter of republican movements...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:53 am
As if geopolitical concerns have nothing to do with our imminent attack on Iraq, steissd.

I heard on NPR last night, on "To the Point", an interview with the Iraqi we've set up to take over the oil industry in the post-Saddam era. Of course, he said, companies in those nations that are supporting his (the anti-Saddam) side will get preferential treatment after the war.

Surprise, surprise!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:57 am
Jeez Louise!!

This has been ALL OVER THE NEWS all day long, what a load of crap!

What possible good is it doing, and the French certainly don't give a rat's ass about it,..I bet they're laughing at us right now,..heck I am! Laughing

If the public wants to boycott France, then don't buy things imported from their country. Last time I checked, our potatoes weren't from france.

This story is probably the most foolish thing I've heard in a long time!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:59 am
OK, I cannot understand, Mr. d'Artagnan, why should you object to preferences for the U.S. businesses. As far as I understand, you are an American, hence this will be in your favor as well.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:15 pm
JerryR, the thinking (if that's the right word) among these French fry boycotters is probably like that of people who drive gas guzzlers because to switch to a more efficient vehicle would be giving in to terrorists.

In fact, they're probably the same people. Fighting the good fight, in their delightfully simple-minded way...
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:19 pm
Can we round them all up, and tag them like manatee???
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:20 pm
(do they know that they're only boycotting a word?!?!?!)
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:27 pm
Why dont they just change it to Belgian Fries?
You gain two times. First you give those French 'a real uppercut' (yeah right :LOL: )

Second you are historical correct.(see my exposé on the history of the Belgian Fries)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:40 pm
Britain is an ally, so let us call this meal chips.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:46 pm
This is a democracy, steissd, so how about let's not if we don't want to...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:47 pm
This is silly. It's like freedom kissing your sister.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:55 pm
"french kissing" to be replaced by the Republican p.c. term "epithelial osculation" doesn't sound like near as much fun to me, but i'm not republican.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:04 pm
Freedomfries is doubleplusgood newspeak. Oldthinkers unbellyfeel Bushdem.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:05 pm
Ok, all I can think off is that 80's movie "Better Off Dead" when the mom makes a trditional french dinner for the French exchange student, "Fronch dressing. Fronch fries. Fronch bread. And to drink....Peru!"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:20 pm
frolic wrote:
actually the term French Fries was wrong from the beginning.

The correct term is "Belgian Fries" But I guess that isn't a solution since Belgium isn't that popular in the US.

<grins>

that was funny.

really, though, belgian fries = french fries? not in holland! french fries are the thin crispy kind that come in small portions. "flemish fries" are big and chunky and come in big portions. and they are both proudly branded as such! added irony: while "flemish fries" will be advertised by the small entrepreneur, for the "french fries" you need to go to ... mcdonalds! ;-)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:34 pm
Those sound good, nimh! Flemish fries, eh?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:42 pm
French agree that the fries were invented by Belgians...
Quote:
House orders up 'freedom fries'
New York Times

WASHINGTON - The French may have champagne, brie, croissants and even kisses. Americans, at least in the cafeterias of the House of Representatives, now have ``freedom fries'' and ``freedom toast.''

With frustration rising in the Capitol over French opposition to President Bush's policy on Iraq, Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, the chair of the committee responsible for House security, on Tuesday ordered the word ``French'' stricken from all House menus. The action was unilateral. No vote was required.

``It's a symbolic gesture,'' said Ney, the House Administration Committee leader, who is of French descent and speaks French fluently. ``Not to slap the French around, but people are not hot on the French government right now. This is just to send a message to the troops to say that here in the Capitol, we are not happy.''

The French Embassy did not seem amused. Its press officer declined comment, except to say that french fries originated in Belgium.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/5372640.htm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:08 pm
seems odd that in order to get accurate information about the United States Congress menu we have to get it from the French. Wink
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:16 pm
No, the information appeared in the American media.
0 Replies