no more "French Fries"

frolic

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:27 pm
In a move that may anger some Francophiles or menu writers, a Palm Beach County commissioner has requested a resolution that would change the name of the American food staple known as "french fries."

Commissioner Burt Aaronson is upset with France's reluctance to back a U.S.-led war with Iraq and wants the name changed to "freedom fries" or "American fries" in his county.

"I won't even mention the other name," he said Tuesday.

Aaronson, 75, said he was inspired by a restaurant owner in Beaufort, N.C., who changed the name of the potatoes to "freedom fries" on his menu. Aaronson already had said he would seek to block a subsidiary of the French company Vivendi Environmental from getting a $25 million government contract to build a sludge treatment plant.

Aaronson -- like France -- says inspectors need more time to look for banned weapons and hopes for a peaceful resolution to the conflict. But he said he does not like France telling the United States what to do.

"American lives were left all through France through two world wars," Aaronson said. "This is another little thing to say to the French government, 'Wake up."'

The suggestion met no resistance at a commission meeting, although some commissioners already had left. County Administrator Bob Weisman was directed to prepare an official resolution, which would not be binding and could be ready by March 11.

"We'll declare that all the potatoes previously called french fries in our county will now be called freedom fries or American fries," Weisman said.

However, some restaurant employees derided the move.

Ingrid Paoletti, a waitress and manager at Ellies `50s Diner in Delray Beach, described the discussion as "silly."

"I understand the backlash we're having, but to change every menu in every restaurant, that's a little ridiculous. There are a lot more things to be concerned about than whether french fries should be freedom fries," she said.

Neal Rowland, who owns Cubbie's in Beaufort, said the switch from french fries to freedom fries came to mind after a conversation about World War I days when anti-German sentiment prompted Americans to rename familiar German foods like sauerkraut and frankfurter to liberty cabbage and hot dog.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,390 • Replies: 119
No top replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:32 pm
Well, there can be a compromise solution. Such potato meal may be called "potato chips" or simply "chips" (I guess, it is a British term).
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:36 pm
actually the term French Fries was wrong from the beginning.

The correct term is "Belgian Fries" But I guess that isn't a solution since Belgium isn't that popular in the US.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:39 pm
Did the Belgians really invent such a way of cooking potatoes? Hmm, I thought that these were pre-Columbus American Indians that did it...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:39 pm
It's even worse. Various congressmen who have clearly not enough on their plates, so to speak, have pressured the congressional cafeteria to add "freedom fries" and "freedom toast" to the menu.

I assume these idiots will mention their achievments in their campaign literature in 2004.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:45 pm
steissd wrote:
Did the Belgians really invent such a way of cooking potatoes? Hmm, I thought that these were pre-Columbus American Indians that did it...

You've never been in Belgium and/or tried the Fries here. Best fries in the world, no doubt about that. But i guess Fries aren't kosjer :wink: .
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:48 pm
I am not concerned about kosher food; I am rather a Christian than a Judaist (BTW, I have mixed origin, my late father was an ethnic German with Soviet citizenship). Well, I have no doubt that food in Belgium is tasty, including fried potatoes. But were the "Fr*nch fries" invented there?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:02 pm
Of course, in good food tradition, the French claim to be the inventors of our beloved fries. As with most "French" inventions, they forgot to note the name of the inventor and they are still searching for proof. Actually the word "French Fries" has nothing to do with the French.

Pictures and texts proof that fries were all around our country in the second half of the 19th century. The oldest written proof is dated 1862 and mentions a certain Fritz and the widow Descamps as owners of a fry stand on the Liège 'kermis(=fancy fair)'. In 1891 a picture of both stands was taken.

Jo Gerard, a famous Belgian historian, claims to have proof that fries were invented in the region of the Meuse in 1680. Based on an unpublished document, he writes that the poor inhabitants of this region ate mostly fish. When the river frooze, they cut their potatous in a fish-shape and fried them.

The Americans have their own story. I quote 'The Official French Fry Page': "French Fries, at least in the US, seem to have been first named "Potatoes, fried in the French Manner," which is how Thomas Jefferson described a dish he brought over to the colonies in the late 1700s. Presumably, he brought over the method, and not an actual plate or two, as they would have become rather soggy and possibly rancid on the 5- to 8-week Atlantic crossing. He served this to guests at Monticello and it became popular, serious dinner fare."

Nothing much on the history of chips in Great Britain except this quote from the Dundee City Fact Sheet: "... whilst, in the 1870s, that glory of British gastronomy - the chip - was first sold by Belgian immigrant Edward De Gernier in the city's Greenmarket.

Why are they called "French Fries"?

Explanation 1: the French invented fries, that's why we call them French Fries. Wrong, as we have seen above.

Explanation 2: during the first World War, American soldiers came to our country and discovered our fries. As the inhabitants spoke French (the biggest battles were fought in Ieper near the French border), the soldiers called them French Fries. Wrong again.

In fact, the explanation is quite simple: in English, 'to french' means (or at least meant) 'to cut into lengthwise pieces'. You probably know 'frenched beans'. So logically, French Fries is short for 'frenched and fried potatoes'. In fact, the English call them 'chips', a word which has a similar meaning (a chipped piece of wood).

Anyway: it's Belgian Fries, not French Fries, so it doesn't matter, not? Laughing
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:07 pm
OK, let the fries be Belgian, if they were invented there. But taking into account the current political situation, I would rather use the British term "chips".
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:10 pm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:11 pm
i think this merits a "darwin" award for abject stupidity.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 11:50 pm
steissd

It wasn't a Britsh noblesse family but a German one - Hessian, royality, to be correct. They (some living in Britain) just translated their name by wish of King George V. [Btw: Prince Alexander von Battenberg served in the Russian army against the Turks (1877-78). He was appointed soverign prince of Bulgaria in 1879.

The 'changing' from St. Petersburg to Petrograd is IMHO simply a translation as well.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:05 am
Frowning fries! :-(
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 04:07 am
Mr. Hinteler, I agree, and I knew all this. Well, I know also that the Battenberg family was of German origin, but by the time they changed the surname they were subjects of the British monarchy.
I wanted only to mention that when these countries found themselves in war against Germany, some names were changed there, from these that sound German into more "domestically" sounding.
More, I knew (here in Israel) one Jewish family with typically Irish surname Shannon (and they are not converts to Catholicism). The story is as follows. In 1914 their ancestors lived in the UK and had a surname Schoenemann. It sounded for their neighbors too much German , and they changed it after three months of war to one that seemed sounding close to the original. Occasionally, their new surname was as typical to the Irish Catholics as, for example, Levy for the Jews.
These were extreme examples of the name changing due to political environment. And, of course, Peterburg and Petrograd mean the same thing. But no one considered such a change necessary for about two hundred years, until the beginning of WWI. Later the city ceased being a capital and was renamed twice, and now it is again St. Petersburg. Both name changes also reflected the political situation: the necessity to immortalize the name of the late prime-minister in 1924, and anti-Communist feelings of people in early '90s.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 06:02 am
I will still order french fries.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 08:24 am
Pommes frites
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:05 am
What a lack of gratitude. After all the French were instrumental in giving us our freedom.... and this is how we are going to show our thanks?

I am certainly not going to stop enjoying toast, fries, or kisses.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:08 am
Childish. I guess some people never grow up.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:52 am
So, it is possible to use the words "gratitude" and "French" in the same paragraph, with a straight face after all.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:57 am
Here's another idea for those who wish to express their support of the French during these parlous times: Buy a bottle or two of a nice French wine. I plan to do so this as soon as I can get to my provisioners. Vive la France!
0 Replies