Gack..! (Pediasure commercial)

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:58 am
We have something called Gummi Vites from Trader Joe's (but I think other places carry them too), they're basically gummi bears with multi-vitamins, the kid loves 'em. She always wants more than I'll give her and I have to remind her they're medicine.

And again, I don't have anything in particular against Pediasure in general except that they made that stupid commercial. "My son is underweight and Pediasure helped", whatever. "I don't wike bwoccowi", grrrrrrr....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:29 am
I saw that commercial and another one like it but for a chocolate drink mix. Mad
In the commercial, the kids pass up regular milk and bring thier mom the chocolate drink mix and mom looks at the cover of the can and sees it say " vitamin fortified" and she says Ok. And gives it to them.
This chocolate drink is sugar above all else. The amounts of sugar in a single serving is enough to send normal people into a diabetic coma~! Laughing
But because it said vitamin fortified.. it is supposed to be healthy?! Oh b-s.
Too many times the commercials we see, and are SEEN by our kids have subtle , and sometimes BLATENT suggestions about the food in thier commercials.
Those messages really SUCK!
Frosted flakes has a new advertisement saying that thier product promotes healthy kids.
Someone tell me how that is true? If yo ugive this cereal to your kids, you are LOADING sugar into thier veins . Sugar causes MANY vitamin depleations in the system. Served on a regular basis causes many health problems.
( aint gettin on THAT soap box...)
Second, most of the other ingredience in that cereal are either genetically modified, created in a factory or are simply chemical combinations to TASTE like things that are not actually in the cereal . ( "Natural flavors" listed as an ingredient, is a HUGE mask for sometimes pretty nasty chemical combinations...most of them have been linked to forms of cancer.. )
The milk in the cereal is full of hormones, antibiotics and other wastes. Organic milk is a bit better.. but for the sake of arguement.. I wont use it as an example.
Not to mention.. the protien / calcium combinations that naturally occur in milk is enough to cancel out both health benefits of each mineral.
Excessive protien intake inhibits the body from absorbing calcium. Excessive calcium with out vitamin C and a few other vitamins causes calcium absorption to stop as well.
Given the content of both protien and calcium in milk, you might as well be drinking water and expecting your bones to get stronger.

Not saying milk is completely USELESS.. it just isnt as good for your bones as it is sold to be.

Having those strikes against you for breakfast.. KNOWING these kinds of facts..
Why are companies allowed to falsy advertise thier products as healthy?
Isnt there laws against false advertising?

What ticks me off MOST, is that the foods we SHOULD be eating ( broccoli, grains, and other greens ) are referred to as 'nasty' in these commercials. Not wanted and the advertisements show thier products to be above and beyond better for you then NATURAL FOODS? ooooooo... gggggrrrrrrr Mad

( ok.. i will stop rambling now.. Laughing )
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 11:59 am
Soz, I thought the same thing when I saw this commercial.

That and I wanted to smack the mother.

I am a horridly picky eater, and while I'm in the midst of trying out new varieties and adjusting my taste buds, I do fault my parents for only feeding me what I wanted when I was growing: chocolate, butter, and McDonalds. If I didn't want it, then I wasn't eatin' it, and I didn't want any veggies, fruits, greens or any sort of health food. This leaves me in a very malnourished state (health wise), and cringing anytime a parent doesn't enforce healthy eating habits when the kids are young enough to get used to it! Surprised

I already got my quick-fix worked out when I have kids: Chocolate Rice Milk. Oh God, it's a dream - and healthy, too. At least better than Hershey's heart-attack-in-a-bottle.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 12:04 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

What ticks me off MOST, is that the foods we SHOULD be eating ( broccoli, grains, and other greens ) are referred to as 'nasty' in these commercials. Not wanted and the advertisements show thier products to be above and beyond better for you then NATURAL FOODS? ooooooo... gggggrrrrrrr Mad

Oh SheWolf! I didn't even think of that. You're right. But in all honestly, I'm more disapointed than surprised. Nothing like that surprises me anymore.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 12:33 pm
True.
The surprise is gone, dissappointment is becoming an expectation . :-(
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:18 am
Sozobe -- For whatever comfort it may give you, Paul Krugman feels your pain about that food commercial.

In the July 4th issue of the New York Times, Paul Krugman wrote:
The Center for Consumer Freedom, an advocacy group financed by Coca-Cola, Wendy's and Tyson Foods, among others, has a Fourth of July message for you: worrying about the rapid rise in American obesity is unpatriotic.

"Far too few Americans," declares the center's Web site, "remember that the Founding Fathers, authors of modern liberty, greatly enjoyed their food and drink. ... Now it seems that food liberty - just one of the many important areas of personal choice fought for by the original American patriots - is constantly under attack."

It sounds like a parody, but don't laugh. These people are blocking efforts to help America's children.

Read on
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:55 am
The Founding Fathers also burned far more calories than we do today.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:37 am
My single favorite quote on this whole idea is by... ugh, what's his name? Thomas, do you remember, I've quoted it a lot... Anyway, it's something like, "We are a species that has evolved to survive starvation, not resist abundance."

Krugman's point about pre- and post-1980's is a good one, though. And yes, I think the Pediasure commercial is right where the problem is. ("I don't wike broccowi..." ARGHHHH!!!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:42 am
Here's where I talked about it before, but the link I gave no longer seems to work and I couldn't find it by searching on Google for a random sentence from it. Was it Atul Gatawande?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=273320#273320

THE best article on this subject that I've seen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:47 am
Close, Atul Gawande:

http://www.bookloons.com/cgi-bin/Review.ASP?bookid=1422

(AN article, I don't think THE article:)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2002/10/21/hfat.xml
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:58 am
Hmm, doesn't he write in the New Yorker?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 03:20 pm
All day while weeding and mulching and sweeping up afterwards I've been getting more and more annoyed at the weasel-reasoning of corporate science.

What's good for General Mills is not necessarily good for the country.
0 Replies

Michael6512

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 05:00 pm
Re: Gack..! (Pediasure commercial)
sozobe wrote:
And we wonder why there's a childhood obesity epidemic???

Just saw a sickening commercial. Little girl in a grocery cart. Mom reaches for broccoli -- "I don't like broccoli" says the adorable little tyke. Mom reaches for chicken -- "I don't like chicken" she lisps winningly. Mom reaches for Pediasure -- "mmmm!" Mom smiles indulgently.

Scene changes to adorable little tyke sipping up Pediasure. Yumm-my.

Evil or Very Mad

You should check out this video specifically about this commercail...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5EtKVSIhmU
0 Replies

coollady

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 07:08 am
The pedisure commercial
I think the commercial is really not that great. That little girl is cute,but she acts like alittle brat,just to get her pedisure. I think she looks old enough to eat chicken and broccoli. Confused
0 Replies

imjeanne

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:57 pm
PediaSure commercial
Boy oh boy.. i HATE this commercial.. what stands out to me is that the child is being a complete BRAT and mom's say ok sweetie! whatever you want! and keeps smiling while the child seems to have a very devious expression on her face . what does this teach children? teaches them to be brats. what a horrible commercial. I find the child obnoxious.. not "adorable" sorry, can't stand bratty children. why not have a commercial where the MOM rules, not the child??
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 07:12 pm
Good point, that part bothers me too. The kid's being whiny and obnoxious and the mom smiles indulgently. Grr.

(It's back! Have been seeing it now and then.)
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 04:10 pm
I just saw a KFC commercial and it didn't make any damn sense. A girl on a bike pulling her brother in a wagon goes through the drive thru (fine print says "Do not attempt). She gets a bucket of chicken and red velvet cake. On the way home, the boy gives a drumstick to a girl and she smiles at him.

Lesson: fried chicken from strangers is flirting. And then they set the table and the parents walk in and look surprised but happy. Where did these kids get money to buy dinner and if both parents were out, who was supervising these 2 small children? KFC! WTF! Cool
0 Replies