Gack..! (Pediasure commercial)

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:31 am
And we wonder why there's a childhood obesity epidemic???

Just saw a sickening commercial. Little girl in a grocery cart. Mom reaches for broccoli -- "I don't like broccoli" says the adorable little tyke. Mom reaches for chicken -- "I don't like chicken" she lisps winningly. Mom reaches for Pediasure -- "mmmm!" Mom smiles indulgently.

Scene changes to adorable little tyke sipping up Pediasure. Yumm-my.

Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 13,497 • Replies: 36
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:33 am
Oh god!

Feed your kids milkshakes. They like it and the brand starts with 'pedia' so it must be something doctors think is ok.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:36 am
INGREDIENTS (enteral)

(u)-D Water, corn maltodextrin, milk protein concentrate, sugar (sucrose), high oleic safflower oil, soy oil, medium chain triglycerides; Less than 0.5% of: natural and artificial flavor, dextrose, potassium citrate, magnesium phosphate, cellulose gel, salt (sodium chloride), potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, potassium phosphate, choline chloride, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, carrageenan, ascorbic acid, cellulose gum, m-inositol, taurine, ferrous sulfate, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, L-carnitine, zinc sulfate, calcium pantothenate, niacinamide, manganese sulfate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, cupric sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, folic acid, biotin, chromium chloride, potassium iodide, sodium selenate, sodium molybdate, phylloquinone, vitamin D 3 , and cyanocobalamin.

Feed your kids milkshakes -- and DON'T bother with that nasty broccoli and chicken.

(fume fume fume)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:38 am
Just to recap, 99.5 percent of the stuff is water, malt, sugar, and oil.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:39 am
Really, why not just get her a feeding tube and empty bags of the stuff into her three times a day.

I don't know why I'm reacting so strongly to that. I've been known to over-do the ovaltine when my kids' appetites are not up to snuff. But jeez, a replacement for chicken and broccoli?!? How about a freakin' grilled cheese sandwich.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:40 am
Probably what makes me the most mad is that I watched it with sozlet -- who does like broccoli and chicken just fine, thank you. For now anyway.

Well, it's not what makes me the most mad, the whole thing is sickening.

Grrrr.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:44 am
So, making the assumption you were watching a kids show with sozlet, they are targeting that time slot.

"Mom, I don't like broccoli and chicken, get me that milkshake instead!" Ugh.

A little bit unrelated, but you might enjoy this. My son came to me yesterday and informed me that best friends are made at the Build-a-Bear workshop. I laughed and told him (thanks to EG) that the spell must have worked. I told him, look, they put a spell on you and made you say that, it's right from the commercial. He gave a little smile and said, "hey, you're right!"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:21 am
:-D I'll tell E.G. That's cool, though.

And yeah, EXACTLY about time slot. I mean they do like diaper commercials and stuff too, they know moms are around and they're marketing directly to them, too. But yeah.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:29 am
Yeah, I saw that the other day and wondered what was in it. Was hoping it was more of a protein shake.

My daughter, 16, was at her computer in the living room and heard it. she said the "pedia" part of the name made her think of pedialite... And who in their right mind drinks THAT stuff???

I guess the name could work as a lure for parents but may be a real gag inducer for kids. Mine could never stomach pedialite.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:32 am
This was shown between "Blue's Clues" and "Little Bill", though, so directed at the preschool set (the adorable little tyke was 4-5).
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:38 am
Yes, and that's the same younger group that is also most likely to get served Pedialite when sick. So, hopefully, they will have a negative association with anything starting with "Pedia" and not beg mom for pediasure.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:40 am
Hopefully!

Sozlet wanted it, though.

She knows the spell dealie so the whole thing was conducted through meaningful looks, ending with her hoisting the yogurt smoothie she happened to be drinking and saying "but this is OK...!"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:40 am
I am speechless--almost.

Last winter I read a book on advertising and learned that while advertising will encourage children to request the advertised product absolutely no research has been done on whether this advertising is good or bad for children.

People are screaming about birth control being mentioned in the public schools--but very few people are vocally disturbed about advertisers planning family menus.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:13 pm
Mo often says, in his best game show host voice "On Disney DVD. Tom Holtz!" That's as far as he's memorized so I'm not entirely sure what movie he's advertising.

So far the only product he's requested by name is Trix yogurt. I let him choose between it and candy/ice cream/whatever when he gets a treat.

I haven't seen that pediasure commercial but it certainly sounds dismal.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:25 pm
Our pediatrician advised us to give Pediasure to Ya-ya because of weight concerns. Seems to have worked; hopefully we can discontinue the nasty stuff after the next well visit.

It is not a substitute for real food.

I like the bit about "the spell." I'll have to remember that for future use....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 03:05 pm
My doctor made me get Pedialite after I got out of the hospital from being dehydrated from being sick and life or death I couldn't make myself choke that crap down. It is AWFUL.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 03:47 pm
Actually, we taste-tested and found the store brand to be better.
0 Replies

c0lumbia

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:36 am
Why are you guys getting so angry? If you have confidence behind your child rearing, don't let a stupid commercial get you riled up. I'm sure as well that you're not letting commercials determine your child's thought process. My son talked to me about that commercial and I told him the truth about what I though. Thankfully my son looks up to me and my opinions while creating his own so I know and he knows he can't try that garbage with me.

My daughter's doctor told us to give her 2 cans a day broken up in to four servings. She eats like an elephant but is nothing more of a peanut in size - genetics play a part here but at the same time to get a little weight on her. I think pediasure is a way to dump calories into a child without them being the empty kind ie: chips, cookies etc.

It's got to have lots of water just like real vegetables do - veggies are 60% veggie and 40% water - AND? the oil they use aids in the digestive system so our kids aren't constipated. Sugar - of course they put sugar in it. Do the math though, the vitamins and minerals far outweigh the amount of sugar in it. Table sugar is always not that great for you but we're not talking mass quantities in this product as well as other child friendly alternatives. The same sugar can be produced by many fruits and vegetables that we opt to feed our children. Read up on maltodextrin - sounds bad but really isn't.

I think the problem here folks is that not enough of you are educated enough about the things you feed your children. These are your children. You want to be so concerned about commercials and the effects they have on the kids - look at what it's doing to YOU. Do some research before you start knocking on stuff. Your doctor is your doctor for a reason. This is not to say that they are always right but like I said DO SOME RESEARCH.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:40 am
If your daughter is the size of a peanut (elephant/ peanut was cute), that's one thing. The kid in the commercial was perfectly healthy, nothing wrong except that she didn't like broccoli or chicken. That's something else entirely.

I believe that Pediasure can be a good thing in some medical situations, or even as an occasional treat (though it sounds like kids don't actually like the taste much), better than ice cream, right? Absolutely NOT better than broccoli and chicken, though.
0 Replies

c0lumbia

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:51 am
O gawd of course not better than that. My daughter is almost a year old and I swear she eats everything. My son has inherited my husbands height, weight and cuteness BUT he doesn't eat a lot of vegetables - namely the great dark green ones so he gets his multivitamin to help provide the stuff he lacks.

This is a great alternative to the pill form and can serve as a snack during time snack time than giving him a cookie. I'd like to see his face when i hand him a vitamin for snack!! LOL
0 Replies