Ask your doctor!

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:24 am
Is anyone else sick of being exhorted by drug companies to ask your doctor about such and such quack rememedy?

It takes years to train a doctor and yet some idiot is supposed to ask him about miracle pill.

What can we do to let the drug companies know how awful this advertising technique is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,062 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:26 am
plainoldme- Sure it's awful, but do you know why the drug companies do it? 'Cause it increases the companies' bottom line.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:28 am
An interesting American phenomenon. Drug companies aren't permitted to do that type of advertising here. Always a bit off-putting to see those ads in U.S. mags when I go to the States.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:16 am
I don't understand why the on-screen speaker can't say that their doctor suggested miracle pill.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:25 am
What I like are the ones that don't tell you what the drug is actually for. Turns out, if I was told right, that if you don't say what it's for, you don't have to list side effects.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:29 am
At least the ads have to mention side effects. After listening to one of those laundry lists of unpleasant consequences, who the hell wants to take the drug?

Answer: The kind of idiot who'd go to an MD after seeing a TV ad...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:33 am
I love the ones that don't say what they are for. I can't wait for my next doctors appointment to "Ask my doctor about _______." (insert name of newest penis dysfunction pill)

How wonder how many times doctors hear such questions for medications that have nothing to do whatsoever with the patient asking.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:58 am
A couple of years ago, my sons pointed out how vague drug company ads are. They showed me that print ads are even worse, displaying a smiling face or a pretty mountain vista. The drug for genital warts has a commercial which features a woman white water rafting, as though there is a connection between the two.

As for the erectile dysfunction medications, don't you think they use scare tactics? "When a friendly moment turns into the right moment, will you be ready?" Then the ad finishes with, "This medication is only for men healthy enough for sexual activity." What will those two do? Swing from the chandelier?

And, aren't we all just a little annoyed with the oh-so-serious Lavitra girl and her slightly crossed-eye praise of "my man"? SNL did a great send up that one, with Amy Poehler pitching drug.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:17 pm
Actually most of these commercials make me laugh. "…If erection lasts for more than 3 hours call seek medical help…." Duh. I also love that quick soft talking about all the side effects…"may cause blah, blah, blah…" Notice how the tone is significantly softer and the announcer speaks so fast a normal human being cannot understand him.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:28 pm
"Genital herpes can be a real bummer".

Yeah, no ****! Laughing
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:33 pm
When the side effects include diarhhea, constipation, sexual side effects, sleeplessness and acid reflux, who wants to take an anti-anxiety pill? I got anxious writing this!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:42 pm
Side effects include open sores, swelling of the tongue, blurred vision, hair loss, anal warts, severe acne, lack of bladder control, and uncontrolled bowel movements, but best of all, short term memory loss.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:45 pm
cjhsa wrote:
"Genital herpes can be a real bummer".

Yeah, no ****! Laughing

But you can take a pill to reduce the bummermess of it...however, you might experience headache, fatigue, skin leisions, diarrhea, loss of vision, sexual dysfuntion, inability to walk straight, incontinentence and mild b.o.

Rolling Eyes Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:17 pm
however, you might experience headache, fatigue, skin leisions, diarrhea, loss of vision, sexual dysfuntion, inability to walk straight, incontinentence and mild b.o.

Let's see, then you an take either an aspirin or a non-aspirin remedy; tablets that contain caffeine; you can coat yourself with steroidal salve; swallow an anti-diarrhetic; have laser surgery; take male hormones to increase your libido; have braces put on your legs; wear an absorbent pad and a stronger anti-persperant to make you as good as new!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:18 pm
And when you take this medication and the herpes outbreak is put at bay... What's the point?

Now you have a headache, you're tired, not aroused, and stink.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:39 pm
Squinney -- All that work and no one wants you anyway!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:33 pm
Until there were television commercials for drugs to cure social anxiety, I didn't know there was such a disease. I knew that I experienced the need to take a huge gulp every time I found myself in a new situation or in the midst of a crowd or at a party. Thanks to the Meyer-Briggs, I was aware that I am an introvert and that the more problems there are in my life, the more I retreat into them. However, since I know those things, why in the world would I want to take a pill for them? I know I am shy. While 75% of all Americans are extroverted, that does not mean the remaining 25% are in need of medication.
0 Replies