Bernie Sanders First to Sign Pledge to Rally Behind Democratic Nominee.

Real Music

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2020 10:37 am
Bernie Sanders apologizes to Joe Biden over inflammatory op-ed.

Senator Bernie Sanders issued a rare apology to former Vice President Joe Biden
after a newspaper op-ed by a Sanders surrogate accused Biden of having a “corruption” problem.
Ed O’Keefe reports from Des Moines, Iowa on the exclusive interview Sanders gave CBS News.

Published January 21, 2020

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2020 10:51 am
Bernie Sanders apologizes to Joe Biden after campaign surrogate writes he has ‘a corruption problem’

Published January 21, 2019

Quote:
Former Vice President Joe Biden accepted an apology from Sen. Bernie Sanders on Monday after a campaign surrogate for the Vermont senator penned an op-ed accusing Biden of having “a corruption problem.”

Sanders said he disagreed with the op-ed, saying, “It is absolutely not my view that Joe is corrupt in any way. And I’m sorry that that op-ed appeared,” in an interview with CBS News.

The op-ed, which was published in the Guardian by law professor and former New York gubernatorial candidate Zephyr Teachout, argued that if Biden wins the Democratic presidential nomination, it will be more difficult for the party to defeat President Donald Trump.

“Biden has a big corruption problem and it makes him a weak candidate,” wrote Teachout, who has officially endorsed Sanders. “I know it seems crazy, but a lot of the voters we need – independents and people who might stay home – will look at Biden and Trump and say: ‘They’re all dirty.’”

Teachout wrote that Biden’s policy proposals cave to the interests of big industries that bankroll his campaign. She accused him of policies favoring Wall Street donors, the health care insurance industry and the fossil fuel industry.

“It looks like ‘Middle Class’ Joe has perfected the art of taking big contributions, then representing his corporate donors at the cost of middle- and working-class Americans,” she wrote.

Sanders previously endorsed and campaigned for Teachout in a 2016 congressional race, and also endorsed her campaign for New York attorney general in 2018.

“Zephyr is doing a great job for us, she’s a wonderful surrogate, but on this issue, I strongly disagree,” Sanders said.

“Thanks for acknowledging this, Bernie,” Biden tweeted of Sanders’ apology. “These kinds of attacks have no place in this primary. Let’s all keep our focus on making Donald Trump a one-term president.”

Sanders recently made headlines for allegedly telling Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, also a Democratic presidential candidate, that he didn’t believe a woman could defeat Trump for the White House. Sanders has denied the allegation, but the claim caused tension for the two on the debate stage last week.

Biden and Sanders have also sparred in recent weeks over Biden’s record of voting for the war in Iraq. And Biden accused the Sanders campaign of sharing a ‘doctored’ video that misrepresented his position on Social Security.

Biden accused the Sanders campaign of lying about his position on Monday, according to Vice News.

Sanders told CBS that Biden “is a decent person. He is a friend of mine.”

“People like him. And we’re not going to make personal attacks on Joe Biden but I think the record shows that Joe’s history in the Senate and my history in Congress are very different,” Sanders said.

Biden and Sanders have been front runners in the Democratic primary, with Biden consistently in the lead in national polling. Biden currently stands at an average of 28.4% and Sanders at 20.4%, according to poll data compiled by RealClearPolitics.

https://www.statesman.com/zz/news/20200121/bernie-sanders-apologizes-to-joe-biden-after-campaign-surrogate-writes-he-has-a-corruption-problem
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2020 11:37 am
Bloomberg Says He Sees His Spending as Investment to Beat Trump.

‎Published January‎ ‎14‎, ‎2020‎

Quote:
Michael Bloomberg said the “couple hundred million dollars” he’s spent so far in his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination are an investment in preventing President Donald Trump from being re-elected in November, regardless of whether Bloomberg becomes the nominee.

“That’s my investment in trying to get rid of Donald Trump and get us a decent president,” Bloomberg said Tuesday in a live appearance on CBS’s “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.”

The show aired immediately after the top six Democratic presidential candidates held their final debate before the Feb. 3 Iowa caucuses.

The former New York mayor, who joined the presidential contest Nov. 24, has already booked more than $223 million in advertising across the country, according to Advertising Analytics, which tracks political ads. The campaign also said Tuesday it has 1,000 staffers working in 33 states.

Even if he doesn’t win the nomination, Bloomberg has pledged to keep “a chunk” of his staff working and major offices open to defeat Trump. Bloomberg did not rule out spending as much as $1 billion if necessary, but said “hopefully not” that much. He said he would support Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Tom Steyer or “whoever’s in the race.”

“Every single person on the stage today is better than Donald Trump,” Bloomberg told Colbert.

Bloomberg also said while he doesn’t agree with a wealth tax proposed by rivals Warren and Sanders, he would raise taxes on the wealthy.

“That’s the way you fix income inequality, and that’s where we get money to do the things that we need to do that keep this country safe and keep the economy going.”

Bloomberg is the founder and majority owner of Bloomberg LP, the parent company of Bloomberg News.

Bloomberg said he didn’t interact much with Trump in New York when he was mayor but did play golf with him at a charity tournament once. Trump, he said, “has a reputation of not being, let’s say, scrupulous in how he counts strokes.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-15/bloomberg-says-he-sees-his-spending-as-investment-to-beat-trump
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2020 09:06 pm
@Real Music,
Your estimation of how much this pledge actually represents what he and his followers will do if they don’t win?

It wasn’t in writing in 2016 but he said the same thing, then his support was late and tepid .
Lash

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 03:29 am
@snood,
You’re a liar.
He campaigned more for Hillary Clinton than she did for herself. It’s a proven fact.
snood

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 03:50 am
Right on cue. Gotta give her credit for consistency, I guess.
Feverishly bitter and delusional.
But consistent.
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette3

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 09:56 am
@snood,
Your right about his support of Hillary in 2016, it wasn't a full out effort to join with her to beat Trump. However, he showed more sense than his followers did then and sure as heck is showing more sense now in putting out an early statement about supporting any candidate in 2020 should he lose. Gotta give credit where it's due.

The problem I have with Sanders with his followers is in not taking responsibility for their actions every time there is a story about one of his many volunteers doing or saying something inappropriate. As the head of his campaign, he is in charge and the buck stops with him. He shouldn't have out of control campaign volunteers. What would that say about any administration he would have as president?

But that is another issue. It is good a good thing Sanders signing a pledge. He really didn't have to sign a pledge, just saying it out loud would have been enough IMO.

There is a good chance it is academic anyway, we'll find out tonight, basically with all the delegates up for grabs. He has a good chance of getting close to a majority. It's kind of nerve-wracking; I think I will avoid keeping up with it until close to time to get an idea of how the night is going.
maporsche

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 05:18 pm
@revelette3,
I still wonder why he registered as an Independent on his 2024 Senate election document...you know after saying he was a Democrat in order to run in 2020 and 2016.

Not always consistent it seems.
oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 06:27 pm
@maporsche,
Would you rather Sanders ran for president as an independent against a Republican and Democratic candidate?
maporsche

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 07:15 pm
@oralloy,
Yes, absolutely.
oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 07:22 pm
@maporsche,
Do you realize that such a move would split the leftist vote and guarantee a Republican victory?
maporsche

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 07:29 pm
@oralloy,
That could happen; it could also pull out many of Trumps voters who like Bernie's economic, protectionist, and immigration policies but just don't like voting for Democratic candidates.

It would be interesting to see how big or small Sanders support really is though; so far in the primaries he's not doing too impressively (no increased turnout for him, only getting 30% of the vote, etc).
Olivier5

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 02:03 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
it could also pull out many of Trumps voters who like Bernie's economic, protectionist, and immigration policies but just don't like voting for Democratic candidates.

Which will make him an excellent Democratic candidate in November.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:11 am
Bloomberg just dropped out and endorsed Biden
Ragman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 10:15 am
@snood,
Whew! That was close. Hopefully Dems will get behind one candidate. Damned if I know which one I’ll choose. I’m no fan of either one but both would be better than treasonous Trump. (Independent registered voter).

Because Bloomberg is data driven Earning his decisions so why do you think he’s backing Biden instead of Bernie? His perception is that Bernie can’t win.
livinglava

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 07:48 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Whew! That was close. Hopefully Dems will get behind one candidate. Damned if I know which one I’ll choose. I’m no fan of either one but both would be better than treasonous Trump. (Independent registered voter).

Because Bloomberg is data driven Earning his decisions so why do you think he’s backing Biden instead of Bernie? His perception is that Bernie can’t win.

They all endorse each other because, ultimately, they are all just a face for the party.

If the party manages to somehow get someone into the whitehouse to replace trump, their job will be to sign whatever the party sends them to sign and to justify/rationalize/whitewash it to the public.

The voters think they are voting on a specific platform when they choose to support a specific candidate, such as Sanders, over others; when in reality all of them will just defer to the broader network of power that the Democratic party caters to, which includes a lot of global interests, hence the urgency to get Tariff-tyrant Trump out of the veto-seat.

It's ironic that the global economy dislikes tariffs so much, considering that the Republicans' anti-tax ideology is usually scoffed at as unrealistic. Apparently they want US citizens to pay taxes; but they don't want to pay taxes for doing business with/in the US. If a Democrat wins the election, I suspect the tariffs will go down while domestic taxes go up again, in order to appease the interests of free trade, but maybe the tariffs and borders are no longer the big issues and a Democrat president would just leave those in place.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 08:38 am
@Lash,
Bull ****.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 08:39 am
@Lash,
More Bull ****.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 03:54 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I think she is a secret trumpie plant. If Bernie were to win the nomination she would become a Trump supporter or do what she has been doing since 2016 turning democratic voters to Trump with her vitrolic b s.