Did I really screw up??

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:43 pm
I feel like I really messed up tonight. My boyfriend of about a month was visiting my place b/c he is leaving tmw for California for 2 weeks to spend his bday w/ his family. Anyhow, we were lounging around talking and he asked me if there was anything that bothered me about him (we had been having really deep/hypothetical conversations all night). So there has been something bugging me, and he asked, so I let it out...he's so good to me, taking me out to nice restaurants, cooking for me, doing sweet things...but sometimes I wonder if he's doing it b/c he cares about me so much, or b/c it makes him feel good to impress ppl and its just in his character to (for lack of better words) suck up. So I told him that...and I could tell right away that it really upset him by the tone in his voice. After thinking more about it, I decided I'm too skeptical of ppl, and that he's proving to me that I need to have more faith in men...and by no means should I ever have held it against him for treating me so well. I texted him this, but he never responded. I also had given him a bday present to open at home, and he never texted to say thank you. I am worried he's really upset at me, and I really dont want him to leave being upset w/ us. How out of line was I? Did I really screw up? Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 766 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 04:51 am
Maybe you "hit the nail on the head", and he is reacting to your words. Hey, you only know him a month. If you have "read" him correctly, why are you concerned about this relationship? If what you said is an accurate appraisal, IMO, you are better off without him.

Quote:
After thinking more about it, I decided I'm too skeptical of ppl, and that he's proving to me that I need to have more faith in men...and by no means should I ever have held it against him for treating me so well. I texted him this, but he never responded

How is he proving to you that you need to have more faith in men?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:27 am
He asked you to be honest with him about your feelings, and when you were, he basically flipped out and began ignoring you, even though you were just opening up. And on top of that, you had just given him a birthday present and wanted to spend as much time as you could with him before he left town, and look at how he behaved. There is no reason to have faith in us men in those situations. Maybe he'll be more understanding once he's cooled down a bit, but really, don't think that you did wrong, and don't think that you need more faith in men when one responds unexpectedly poorly.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:36 am
Believe it or not, men often do nice things.
And they enjoy doing them. They do them because they enjoy it.

Amanda, can I ask how old the two of you are, and if both of you have
experience being in close relationships? If he's insecure, maybe he's
not sucking up, but doing what he thinks people are "supposed to" do on
a date... until he gets it figured out. Or if he's been around a bit, maybe he enjoys being
"in a relationship" and wants to use the opportunity to do lots of nice things together.

But the twist is ... if he is fairly new to "relationships" and just enjoying it,
your comment may have rained on his fun parade!
He may not know how to take it ... how it was meant, or what it indicates
about you. The nice guys only go where they are wanted, so
he may suddenly feel betrayed or unwelcome.

Your comment undermines every present he will give you from now on.
Every nice thing he does, or fun thing he tries to share.
Why should he give or do something nice ... if it's perceived as a "kiss up"?

If he's a nice guy, his only choice is to leave.
If he's a manipulative player, then he may stick around just to "use" things.
If BOTH of you are mature, the solution is to hang out and talk.
Both of you need some information to know what's going on.

Honest, plain, non-blaming communication is central to any strong relationship,
and it's something that every couple has to go through.

It will take strength on his part to realize that your impressions come
from wider society as a whole, and that he should do exactly what he
enjoys even if people have suspicions, doubts, fears, or images about it.

It will take strength on your part to be just as honest with him, to say
"I care about you" (if you do), ask him how he is, and be plain with him
about how important or unimportant your comment was.

Talking is a good way to get to know each other, and maybe this is a good
opportunity not to test/criticize and manipulate someone, but to BE TOGETHER.
To share ideas, thoughts, philosophy, and how BOTH people feel.

Your comment was not out of line. You haven't lost him.
Just be completely yourself, and the right things will happen.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:40 am
He shouldnt have asked if he didnt htink he could handle the answer.Just give him time.
0 Replies

Amanda2113

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:22 pm
I still haven't heard from him and this is all I've thought about all day...it's driving me crazy that he's gone to Cali, and that he left on bad terms w/ me. I dont know if I should call/text him, or just let him have his space. What should I do???
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:28 pm
Ah, I agree with codeborg except for the last part. You well may have lost him. You were doubting his way of being, possibly when he was feeling the most tender towards someone he had, if not ever, for quite a while.

It is good to express how you feel honestly, but try to understand that others may not see things as you do.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:01 am
If he's trying to guilt trip you by not calling, dump his ass.
0 Replies

Amanda2113

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:23 pm
thanks for everyone's advice and input...he called and we talked it out, and things are great...we were able to talk through our first spiff even w/ him across the country (so i think we have something pretty good goin!) thanks for the advice...i will definitely think twice before i say something to him that could hurt his feelings so much!!
0 Replies