wanna improve my spoken english

imane

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:11 am
hi guys
i learnt english for several years as a third language, but i don't speak it as fluently as canadians Sad sometimes i don't find the right word or i don't pronounce it correctly, then i go mad
i wanna also learn the slang expressions

Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,071 • Replies: 9
No top replies

navigator

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:28 am
You must think first of what you have, and what you want to do exactly to

improve your English.

Here is a good start

welcome to A2K
0 Replies

imane

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:52 pm
hi
you know what?i'm not afraid to speak in english,the matter is that in Canada you can speak also french so sometimes instead of looking for the appropriate words, i find that it's more easy to say:'do you speak french?' now i want to change this habit and use the background that i have because othrwise i will lose it, i'm sure about one thing: if you don't practice a language, you forget how to use it...and that's what i want to avoid.So which is the best way in your opinion to improve myself?

Slang expressions:i have some friends who use slang language all the time, people in street as well, that's the reason behind my request.

PS:i think that if we discuss subjests in english, it will be perfect for me, i will be able to know the mistakes i will make ( because you're going to correct me Cool )
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:58 pm
I hate to advise watching television, but that probably is a good way to learn how a language sounds. Or listen to the radio.

Your writing is good!
0 Replies

imane

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:01 pm
thank you.
good advice.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:11 pm
Imane - I have several friends who are from non-english speaking countries and a housemate who was originally from China. All of these women have wanted to improve they vocabulary and pronounciation. A couple of them took ESL course (English as a Second Language) which was useless for them - it is very basic. 2 of them are now considering speech therapy. Speech therapy is expensive and very focused on proper pronounciation.

I agree with D'Artagnon about TV and radio as tools which are more affordable, but you have to really do all the work using that method. Good luck!
0 Replies

jwalker

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 06:17 am
well imane why don't u make a huge effort to use english instead of another language when speaking to your peers.When i meet people who do not speak english as their main language, yet can pronounce every word to perfection, i am seriously astonished. When i ask them what their secret is, all they say is that the effort and the desire to speak the language pushes them forward. They make a huge effort trying to make english second nature to them and trust me, the effort pays off. They put other people who speak english all the time to shame.
As for the slang,ask the canadians to help you out.It's always better to hear it firsthand.
0 Replies

jwalker

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 06:18 am
*yet pronounce*
0 Replies

upstudio

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:52 pm
It is very useful.Smile
0 Replies

jwalker

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 02:20 am
what is very useful?