US AND THEM: US, UN & Iraq, version 8.0

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:03 am
Not disingenuous at all. I think the vast majority of Iraqis (and other Muslims around the world) do understand that Christians intend them no harm. They also understand that Christians have as much right to shoot back when shot at as anybody else does and it has absolutely nothing to do with religious beliefs on either side.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:26 am
What it obviously says is that God's preference for killing is a tank.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:53 am
That certainly wasn't obvious to me, Geligesti.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:55 am
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition ! ! !

. . . no, no, not the HE, give me the anti-personnel . . .
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:12 am
And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:15 am
Sorry Set .... we're down to the 'Holy Hand Grenade'
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:17 am
Great minds ... well, you know...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:20 am
Doesn't religion make us jump with joy?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:22 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Can you provide a link to the USMC site where the photo appears Walter? I poked around on the site for awhile but didn't find that photo.

Actually, I gave it on my above response - at least I cab see it, the link works here fine .... and comes up when using the USMC site's search function, too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:27 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I'll take your word for it ehBeth. (Complete computer klutz here.) But if it is posted on the Marine website, then it apparently did pass the military censors. I frankly find it mildly offensive, but most likely not for the same reason Blatham does.

(Again: you only had to click on the link I had provided.)

Foxfyre wrote:

Notwithstanding that the 'positive proof' is from a private BLOG, doesn't it seem strange that this particular photo of a tank that 'didn't make it past the military censors' would be posted on an offiical DOD Marine website?

And now you 'only' find it 'mildly offensive'.

What made you change your opinion?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:29 am
I am just surprised that the military evidently don't think anything of it and lets it be in the public domain.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:38 am
Remember Pat Tillman? The army has been lying to his parents about how he was killed, and now the parents are "up in arms" against the military. The army lied about how he was killed, because that would have been a disaster to army recruitment; but with all the BS coming out of Iraq and Afghanistan, I'm not sure why anybody would 'volunteer' into the service today.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:41 am
They're not in large numbers, recruitment is down which is why they're resorting to unethical tactics such as falsifying diplomas and the like.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:07 pm
From NYT:

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 23, 2005
Insurgent Attacks in Iraq Kill at Least 11 and Wound Over 100
By CHRISTINE HAUSER
At least four people were killed and more than 100 injured in Baghdad today when a car bomb exploded outside of a building that houses a restaurant, according to an Iraqi official at the interior ministry. In other violence, at least 12 Iraqis, including an adviser to the prime minister, were killed in other bomb attacks and an assassination, Iraqi officials said.

Unrelenting violence has gripped Iraq in recent weeks despite the formation of its government earlier this month, posing a challenge to the country's new leaders.

A car bomb in Baghdad detonated around lunchtime in a crowded street in the Talibiyiah neighborhood, and the building where the restaurant is located bore the brunt of the blast, the interior ministry official said. At least four were dead and up to 113 people were wounded, the official said. In the Baghdad neighborhood of al-Mansour, an adviser to the prime minister, Waiel Al-Rubaie, and his driver were shot dead, the interior ministry said.

Late today, a car bomb exploded outside a Shiite mosque in Mahmoudiya, a town south of Baghdad, killing five people when the building collapsed and wounding 19, most of them children, the Reuters news agency reported.

Earlier, a car bomb also struck in a small town near Kirkuk north of Baghdad, killing the brother of an official in the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, the Kurdish party founded by Iraq's new president, Jalal Talabani. At least four others were killed in that explosion outside of the town hall in Tozkhurmatu.

Insurgents have made Iraqi officials and soldiers, as well as foreign troops, a main target of their attacks but thousands of ordinary civilians have been killed in the violence, which has stoked fears of rising sectarian strife among Iraq's ethnic and religious groups."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:11 pm
Quote:
US military to build four giant new bases in Iraq

Michael Howard in Baghdad
Monday May 23, 2005
The Guardian

US military commanders are planning to pull back their troops from Iraq's towns and cities and redeploy them in four giant bases in a strategy they say is a prelude to eventual withdrawal.
The plan, details of which emerged at the weekend, also foresees a transfer to Iraqi command of more than 100 bases that have been occupied by US-led multinational forces since the invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

However, the decision to in vest in the bases, which will require the construction of more permanent structures such as blast-proof barracks and offices, is seen by some as a sign that the US expects to keep a permanent presence in Iraq.

Politicians opposed to a long-term US presence on Iraqi soil questioned the plan.

"They appear to settling in a for the long run, and that will only give fuel for the terrorists," said a spokesman for the mainstream Sunni Iraqi Islamic party.

A senior US official in Baghdad said yesterday: "It has always been a main plank of our exit strategy to withdraw from the urban areas as and when Iraqi forces are trained up and able to take the strain. It is much better for all concerned that Iraqis police themselves."

Under the plan, for which the official said there was no "hard-and-fast" deadline, US troops would gradually concentrate inside four heavily fortified air bases, from where they would provide "logistical support and quick reaction capability where necessary to Iraqis". The bases would be situated in the north, south, west and centre of the country.

He said the pace of the "troop consolidation" would be dictated by the level of the insurgency and the progress of Iraq's fledgling security structures.

A report in yesterday's Washington Post said the new bases would be constructed around existing airfields to ensure supply lines and troop mobility. It named the four probable locations as: Tallil in the south; Al Asad in the west; Balad in the centre and either Irbil or Qayyarah in the north.

US officers told the paper that the bases would have a more permanent character to them, with more robust buildings and structures than can be seen at most existing bases in Iraq. The new buildings would be constructed to withstand direct mortar fire.

A source at the Iraqi defence ministry said: "We expect these facilities will ultimately be to the benefit of the domestic forces, to be handed over when the US leaves."
Source
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:15 pm
Squinney started a thread with that article, Walter.

The 'no deadline' thing doesn't seem to fuss the people who used to say that Iraq was going to be an in-and-out event. They've been numbed by something.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:23 pm
bethie

Some of us have been arguing since months before the war began that permanent bases in Iraq were a fundamental intention of this enterprise.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:27 pm
Oops - didn't notice that (and actually only wanted to point at that factum, Blatham mentioned above :wink: ).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:35 pm
I think re-posting stuff in this thread isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

I've always thought that while we may have other, shorter-lived threads for in-depth discussion of the situation, this and it's predecessors has always, to me, served as a catch-all for news about the war. I've gone back and re-read the old threads a few times and am glad for the collection of news into an easy-to-find list.

So, don't sweat it, lol

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:37 pm
Did you know there is a bibliography of all nine threads in the series, Boss?
0 Replies