The resolution is being proposed by Antony Last, founder of formulism.org, a site which claims that freedom FROM religion would be of far greater benefit to mankind than freedom OF religion.
Freedom from Religion | Proposed UN Resolution / Charter Amendment | Version 1.1
WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS HEREBY VOW
* to save succeeding generations from the scourge of organized religion, a folly which has brought untold sorrow to mankind through the division, hatred and conflict it engenders, and
* to reaffirm an individual's right to freedom of belief, freedom of conscience and freedom of prayer, and
* to establish conditions under which these freedoms can be privately exercised.
AND FOR THESE ENDS WE UNDERTAKE
1. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the public expression of religious beliefs, including the use of symbols, clothing or markings which are synonymous with any currently or previously existing religions.
2. To outlaw, with immediate effect, public acts of worship or religious declaration.
3. To outlaw, with immediate effect, private gatherings of three or more people for the purposes of engaging in acts of worship or religious services.
4. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the publication of books, literature or articles which seek to promote religious beliefs or encourage adherence to religious doctrine.
5. To outlaw, after a period of amnesty, the personal ownership of books or materials which seek to promote religious beliefs or encourage adherence to religious doctrine. (Books of academic or social interest will be made freely available to schools, universities and public libraries).
6. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the celebration of religiously significant dates.
7. To begin, with immediate effect, the destruction or reassignment of predominantly religious buildings, such as churches, mosques and temples.
Intolerance and censorship are generally bad no matter what the reason.
The fact it went nowhere ought to tell you something.
United Nations to ban religion
Ah, a consumation devoutly to be desired.
Alas, they lack the power to implement such a salutary measure . . .
You sure you've got a good source for this information, neologist?
What's the big deal?
Assuming the initial post was correct, this dubious proposal was "submitted to the UN". So what.
This is not a very shocking claim. I just submitted my proposal to the UN that accordian music and bad haircuts should be banned.
no religion should be banned.
but missionaries / those who try to hardsell their religion - of all religions should be punishable by law.