Why is reception work so ill-paid and low status?

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 04:40 am
Second!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 04:52 am
dlowan wrote:
Amen, Set.

Type-writers, by the way, were initially considered beyond the ability of women to use.

However, the mindset that they were the best at small, detailed hand-work (as in knitting, needle-point, etc.) set in pretty quickly--at least in the United States. The attitude persisted for quite a while, as well. During the Second World War, the Ministry of Goofy Ideas decided that they would be best for the assembly of the Norden Bombsight device, with its many small parts. The fact that women were increasingly the only people available for new employment made that one rather obvious, however.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 04:55 am
dlowan wrote:
Second!

Or is it uterii?

Yeah - yeah. It was NZ. Either that or franchise sheep.....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 04:56 am
That reminds me of a limerick....

Quote:
There was a young Gaucho named Bruno..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 05:23 am
I am sure it does....
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:15 am
dlowan wrote:
High pay and respect for receptionists! May it become a job people aspire to!!!!

In theory, that may sound like a good idea. But in practice, wouldn't that reduce the number of stupid meetings management can afford? It's just not realistic. Apart from that, you're dead on, of course. At the institute where I did my post-graduate studies, there were actually quite a few nice, caring, professional receptionists. But they all left within half a year to a year, because they all got more lucrative offers.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 02:54 pm
A friend of mine returned to the work force after her husband died. She was 45 years old with a degree in Physical Therapy and some clerical skills. She found a job as receptionist for a sheltered workshop--which paid just above minimum wage.

Since money wasn't as important to her as having a shape and purpose to her days, she worked there for nearly 15 years--and had more seniority than anyone but the director.

On paper her job required answering the telephone, greeting guests and doing a little clerical work. Practically, she knew every client in the workshop, most of their families, all of the staff and most of their families, where the holiday decorations were stored, who had food allergies, which local business could be approached for donations.....

When the old director retired, she found the new director abrasive and made plans to retire herself.

She offered to stay for four to six weeks to train her replacement. The new director refused. He told her, "No one is essential here." The replacement had two days of on-the-job orientation.

Her last day was a Friday. Monday morning her phone began to ring and by Tuesday afternoon she was invited back to provide training for the two women who would be needed to replace her.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:28 pm
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk....
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:15 pm
I honestly don't think most of us get any compliment for the work we do. When I look at how much it really does cost to pay bills, I don't think we are adequately compensated for our efforts either.

This is a tough one and I know it, but you have to blow off the critics and understand they screw up too. Anyone who claims to be flawless is a liar. People that don't understand aren't even human, just looking for someone to bash making themselves look good.

One thing I learned the hard way is do you work to the best of you ability and understand that you are human. If others don't like it, you need to take on the attitude of 'fire me if my work is unnacceptable'. At work, people mess with who they can get away with it. Don't let it be you. Don't let them give you too much stress over something not worth making a big deal about.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:37 pm
Its not low status. Its not. The job I am doing is low status. If you have seen my other posts complaining about my job you will understand my frustrations:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1358239#1358239

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1358203#1358203

Yours sincerely
Depressed.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:03 pm
Say no more Pragmatic! I hate my job to the point of depression too. Changing jobs doesn't help either. It seems to be the same thing, different place, no matter where I go. It is also the only way I ever get a pay raise, changing jobs. I would send this to you by PM, but I don't have that privilege. I'm not going to punish every member with my lousy story about work, instead of just you! lol!

I wrote and deleted what would bore members to tears. Since I am not allowed PM privilege, write me at [email protected]. I think we can identify and support each other on this topic.
0 Replies