Why is reception work so ill-paid and low status?

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:30 pm
Smegging happened AGAIN!!!

We currently have the worst crop of brainless and unskilled clerical/reception people we have ever had!

It is, in my view, one of the absolutely key jobs in any workplace.

A good receptionist/admin person is able to make clients feel good about the place, handle crap with aplomb, make the place run smoothly - it is a KEY position.

Today, is a perfect example. I locked my smegging keys in the car when I bought petrol on the way to work. (Kicking self hard.)

No way of knowing how delayed I would be - could have been more than 2 hours. (No way of getting to work within that time sans car.)

I ring work - ask that my first family be cancelled, and my second - new - family be rung and given an explanation, and be warned that I might not make it for their session, so that they are warned. New families are usually very anxious, and have often made difficult arrangements to come - it is essential that they have advance warning of any problems with their appointment that is humanly possible. They need very delicate handling - someone who has worked here 3 years ought to know that.

I get to work and find, when I call the new family - who I have been told chose to cancel - that no explanation has been given. They were just told I might turn up, and I mightn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@%%##&&$%$$%%&&&

I spend time gruntling them and explaining in detail what happened. Ok, I look the idiot I am, but not an unprofessional, rude, uncaring and grossly unfit to work in my job idiot like I looked before. Just an ordinary idiot.

This is just a tiny example of the appalling people handling skills our current people have. We spend god knows how much time watching out for, and dealing with their failings. When we have had good people in that role, the difference is stunning. Good reception/admin people are the heart and soul and calm centre of any organisation - and often, in areas like mine, the group memory.

WHY is this crucial role in an organisation not given the value and status it deserves???????

I feel we are getting what we pay for sometimes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,950 • Replies: 30
No top replies

mac11

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:34 pm
I agree completely. But good people in that role tend to move on to better-paying and better-respected positions.

I've worked such jobs, but I'm happier doing clerk type work now instead. It's less hectic and demanding. And it pays better.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:40 pm
Deb - you're right - you gets what you pays for! And sometimes you get lucky. Someone cares or has some sense or displays some competence.

I've been on the medical merry-go-round for some months recently, and I can tell you that there's an unending supply of idiots out there.

It's a crucial position that should be paid appropriately - but seldom is. Nursing likewise!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:44 pm
I on the other hand had the multiple experience of finding our "secretaries step I, or II", whatever the description was then, so bright and interested that we trained them to be lab techs. Not high end lab techs, but starters, and one did go on and get licensed in California. Each time we did this we had to go get another secretary, who then was smart and interested in what was going on, and... so on. Ths happened with three women under my purview. I admit maybe it was me that got them interested, but they had brains to start with.

OK, that was within a ten year period a few decades ago now. And one of the women who started out typing for us did have a BA in English. She was the one who got licensed as a lab tech, not easy. But we were blessed then, over the years I was there, with really sharp people hired as secretary I.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:45 pm
Aaaaah - medical receptionists!

Perfect example, often, I think, of powerless people getting power indirectly and misusing it!~!!!

How often are they cold and brusque and rude?

How wonderful is it when they are kind and warm and such? It makes such a huge difference when you are anxious and distressed!!!

High pay and respect for receptionists! May it become a job people aspire to!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:47 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I on the other hand had the multiple experience of finding our "secretaries step I, or II" or whatever the description was then, so bright and interested that we trained them to be lab techs. Not high end lab techs, but starters, and one did go on and get licensed in California. Each time we did this we had to go get another secretary, who then was smart and interested in what was going on, and... so on. Ths happened with three women under my purview. I admit maybe it was me that got them interested, but they had brains to start with.

OK, that was within a ten year period a few decades ago now. And one of the women who started out typing for us did have a BA in English. She was the one who got licensed as a lab tech, not exactly easy. But we were blessed then, over the years I was there, with really sharp people hired as secretary I, or whatever.

Yep - but WHY should they have to do that? One of my friends who started out as a medical receptionist now has her Phd and is a professor at a university here. What if we valued the job as the complex and crucial one it is?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:55 pm
I'm not arguing with you on this, Dlowan - couldn't agree more. Our situation that I just described was in an outpost with zero patients, being as it was a research lab complex. Takes real wits to man a desk with patients... and I am not kidding at all. No neophyte should be ensconsced there, a place where sometimes communication is vital.

(man a desk being generic. You often find women at desks.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 11:27 pm
Just as with any position common sense can make a big difference. It shouldn't be hard to find an entry-level employee with common sense and the fact that being a receptionist doesn't require much else justifies, in my opinion, its status as an entry-level position.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 11:37 pm
The trick is that in some medical offices the job calls for more than common sense.

Or, if it is just common sense, there should be some giant book of what ifs to back it up.

I was a med receptionist at an internist's office after college classes as well as the reservations person (weekend bed assigner for admissions) at a now years later renown hospital. Sure, you ask the md when stuff is tough. But, you don't need someone witless in that place..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 11:46 pm
If you will reread the second sentence in the first post, dlowan, you will have the answer to the question posed in the title.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:26 am
roger wrote:
If you will reread the second sentence in the first post, dlowan, you will have the answer to the question posed in the title.

and if you read this bit you might see why Wabbit may have some issues...

Quote:
Ok, I look the idiot I am, but not an unprofessional, rude, uncaring and grossly unfit to work in my job idiot like I looked before. Just an ordinary idiot.

I may immortalize these very words in my 'signature'................
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:28 am
Actually Deb, if it is any consolation - such great staff go on to marry people like me........ they might not shape up as spouses, but they do know their way around a switchboard............ either way they suffer.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:48 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Just as with any position common sense can make a big difference. It shouldn't be hard to find an entry-level employee with common sense and the fact that being a receptionist doesn't require much else justifies, in my opinion, its status as an entry-level position.

Nah - it takes WAY more than common sense in my sort of area, Craven - eg it takes the ability to manage extremely mentally disordered people calmly and to be able to triage when something can wait and when it can't - being able to calm and soothe extremely distressed people - at the same time as taking constant phone calls, doing bookings, and suchlike, typing, file management, child-care (and not easy kids) - just for starters.

Actually, what I am saying, I guess, is that I want a career path for clerical people that takes account of the high skill level needed for some reception jobs. Mebbe businesses require more just the common sense thing?

It is kind of like in my own area - if you want money and formal status, go for management - there is almost no career path recognizing high level clinical skills. I have one of the few jobs in the goddamn state that is at a senior level for clinical reasons alone - and that is damn poorly paid compared with similar skill level jobs in other areas. But - I do not want to be a manager, so I am happy. AND I get high status in the informal pecking order in my team. Reception is a job abandoned for paperwork by people wanting better pay in the clerical area. I see no evidence that the skills of some of the great people are recognized in their hierarchy. (WE sure as hell recognize them!! - We meaning clinicians.) That - in the sort of jobs areas some of us work in, is insanity. As we see when we have low-skilled staff.

Anyhoo - just whingeing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:49 am
There is an assumption about all office work which goes back quite some time--and that assumption is that office workers are by and large, dependent women. Secretaries were originally men. The highest paid and most trusted secretaries remained men well into the 20th century. But the advent of the typewriter coupled with the cultural assumption that that type of work was best suited for women began to change things. (Similarly, when the upright piano came into existence, women found work outside the home playing the piano at movie theaters in the silent era--women were very prominent in rag-time piano.) Women began gradually to fill clerical jobs everywhere which were then considered "unskilled," because of their increasing dominance of typewriting. The spread of the use of the typewriter in the United States began in the 1870's, and was going full throttle by the mid-1880's. The women who were employed were often single women still living with their parents--hence, dependent women.

The male secretaries of the day were very well paid; the typing clerks were not, being, after all, dependent women. The situation is entirely diffferent, but the attitudes remain unchanged. When i supervised a great many student workers at Southern Illinois University, i considered it crucial to have well-spoken, verbally adroit people who projected self-confidence and competence in the operation of our switchboard. I carefully screened our student workers, and those who lacked the qualifications were not even trained to operate the switchboard--i employed them elsewhere. I gave them a raise at every opportunity; although i was only allowed to give them five cents an hour, and only once per "trimester," they responded very positively to that fifteen cents a year. I was repeatedly told by them that in other student work positions, they hadn't even been told that their pay could be raised. Our facility was eight miles from the southern edge of campus, and therefore, the student workers had a round trip drive of at a minimum, sixteen miles (which is twenty-five kilometers for those of you challenged by metric ignorance of any other measurement system). I scheduled them as much as possible for long blocks of time on as few days a week as possible, so that they drove as few miles as possible to get their mandated fifteen hours per week maximum. The Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, of which we were a subdivision, at first called to investigate why we were wasting money hiring full-time employees to answer the switchboard; when i told them they were student workders, i was all but accused of lying. Eventually, they accepted that i had "worked a miracle," and we were continually praised for the professional image we projected, both by university staff, and by the public with whom we dealt to a far greater extent than do most departments of a university.

An unconscious attitude prevails that telephone work, and rote clerical work are done by dependent women, and that it is not necessary to pay the positions well or to treat the employees with respect and decency. And as Our Cunning Coney has pointed out, one does indeed get what one pays for.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:52 am
Setanta - monkeys and peanuts?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:54 am
Rather . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:54 am
ossobuco wrote:
I'm not arguing with you on this, Dlowan - couldn't agree more. Our situation that I just described was in an outpost with zero patients, being as it was a research lab complex. Takes real wits to man a desk with patients... and I am not kidding at all. No neophyte should be ensconsced there, a place where sometimes communication is vital.

(man a desk being generic. You often find women at desks.)

Absolutely! Yet, that is where the neophytes - or the also rans - go - with smegging tragic results where I am at present.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:56 am
roger wrote:

Yeah. But we ALWAYS seem to have them over the last few years. It is a plague!!!!!

I have worked with absolutely wonderful people in the same position.

Where are they?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 04:24 am
Amen, Set.

Type-writers, by the way, were initially considered beyond the ability of women to use.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 04:30 am
dlowan wrote:
Amen, Set.

Type-writers, by the way, were initially considered beyond the ability of women to use.

It might upset their uteruses and cause them to fall barren. I understand that this is still a serious reason to keep the vote from women in general*.

*But not in Sth Australia - one of the first! No?
0 Replies