Body Piercing

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:40 pm
Im 15, and I would like to get a nipple piercing. I have a question before I get it done though.... I was told that if I get it pierced before I am done growing that my breast that has the piercing will not grow anymore... is this true? Confused Please Help!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,721 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:59 pm
Nonsense.

I have objections to body piercing, but lopsided boobs aren't on my list.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 01:00 pm
That specific result seems unlikely. But there are a whole lot of reasons to worry about getting a nipple piercing that early.

What do your parents think of the idea?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 01:03 pm
This site has some good info. A few excerpts:

Quote:
Regardless of the reasons for placing a foreign body into an artificial hole in skin it is important to realize that this act carries with it some potentially serious side effects.

Before you decide to obtain a body piercing it is imperative that you first understand that the body piercing industry is not regulated by the federal government. Why is that important? It is important because when an industry is not regulated, the industry has no guidelines to follow in regards to the safety and accountability of its product. No accountability also makes it difficult to compile accurate statistics on complications acquired by the individual during and after the body piercing procedure. Again, why is this important? Because, if not accountable by the federal government then the process of accountability is left in the hands individuals performing the actually piercing who will most likely be reluctant to report any complications to the procedure performed for fear of repercussions from legal action. Finally, no accountability means there is no one to answer to in regards to the safety of the equipment being used, the condition of the equipment being used or the training of the individuals performing the actual procedure, and that could be a huge problem.

There are only a few states that currently require licensure and a handful of states that are in the process of enacting legislation to regulate the body piercing industry.

Quote:
Other serious complications that can arise from body piercing may be a cellulitis of the facial spaces or nerve damage from a piercing of the tongue, possible HIV infection, breast abscess from nipple piercing, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C and believe it or not tetanus. So, if you are contemplating a tattoo or piercing make sure your tetanus immunization is up to date.

Quote:
Nipple piercing may cause breast feeding complications due to scarring of the areola, or abscess.

Quote:
There is no way to ensure a complication free piercing, but here are some tips to better your odds. Look for:

A reputable or licensed piercer who provides comprehensive instruction about the possible risks associated with the procedure and its post care.

Single-use equipment should be in use.

An autoclave to sterilize other equipment, and for the last time it was inspected.

Sterile needles in individually wrapped sterile packets. NOT reusable needles.

The piercer to use gloves and to wash their hands between procedures.

The piercer to use appropriate cleansing agents of topical antiseptics to disinfect the piercing site

The piercer to provide proper instruction on wound care.

http://www.hn.psu.edu/programs/health/bodyart.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 01:56 pm
KissyFace22- I knew a guy who had his nipple pierced. The first time that I saw him with his shirt off, I thought I was going to pass out. I found the sight of the pierced nipple very emotionally unsettling.

Now that's one woman's take on the subject. I am very open minded intellectually about such things, yet I had a severe visceral reaction to the very sight of it. I could say with certainty that other people, who are less broad minded, would have even stronger reactions.

Now if you combine that with Sozobe's health concerns, I think that you would be wise to consider the ramifications of piercing your nipple before you go ahead and do it.

BTW, why the hell do you want to pierce your nipple?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:02 pm
I've heard they can screw up a woman's ability to breastfeed in the future.

My ex-girlfriend got a nipple pierced, and it got infected so she had to take it out. I took her to get them both done, and they had to pierce through the scar tissue on the previously infected one, and she passed out.

At first, you have to clean it out every day, including squeezing out all the pus. And it's sore for a while.

But hey, once healed, pierced nipples on a female are kind of cool.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:02 pm
Do you already have some piercings?

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_may2004/6NailHeadA.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:08 pm
15? Yikes!
Why not wait a few years?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:18 pm
Nipple peircings cause blindness and hairy hands. And every time you get a piercing, God kills a kitten.

Wait, no, that's something else. Just kidding. Proceed.
0 Replies

KissyFace22

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:59 pm
Well..... you see.... the point of getting my nipple done is kinda so my parents dont find out!...they are really strict on the whole piercing thing..... so thats why i want that done. And I dont think it would look too bad... I think its kinda cool.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:21 pm
KissyFace22- So this is an act of rebellion? I would think long and hard before I would do something that is potentially dangerous.

Why don't you get yourself one of those temporary henna tattoos? You can enjoy it, it's not dangerous, and you have made your "statement".

I am wondering as to whether a reputable (translate- safe and hygienic) piercing studio would even do piercings on a minor without her parent's permission. I also wonder if it is even legal to do this.

Check this out:

http://www.nipples-n-more.com/laws/
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:37 pm
Also, the fact that you have gone on a forum to get answers rather than research it yourself scares me.

Body piercing, while a very popular fad, can turn serious with infections and rejections. It's not something to just up and do as long as the majority of the people on a forum tell you it's okay. Make sure that you research first, get second, third and fourth opinions. Find out the rejection rates of the piercing and read testimonials. I know it sounds over-exaggerated, but at your (our) age, I would highly recommend being more than careful.

And, like Pheonix said, don't do it just to be cool or rebel. Do it if YOU want it.

Here is one of my favorite body modification sites: http://www.bmezine.com
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:39 pm
(Psst, Phoenix, that's probably exactly the reaction she's going for! "Ooh, it freaks out people over 30, excellent...")

KissyFace, I think the main concern is health risks. Lots of 'em, in a not very expendable area (as opposed to say earlobes), especially if you ever have a kid. EVER.

I have to check on this, but I think most reputable places wouldn't do this on a 15-year-old anyway. As in if they're reputable there is less chance of health risk but they won't do it, so you'd have to find a disreputable place where by definition the health risk is high.

I know someone who was super responsible about it, researched, waited til her second and last child was weaned (she'd wanted a nipple ring forever, from long before either of her kids were conceived), went to a good place, etc. Fine. Still, after a while, it snagged on something and tore her nipple. Just awful, there was an infection involved I think, horrific in every way.

All of this isn't going into why you think your parents won't notice. Unless you want it to close right back up, you'll have to actually wear the ring 24/7 for a while. They are not at all impossible to see under clothes/ bras, especially by suspicious moms.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:40 pm
Oh, obviously, I wrote that before I saw the last couple of responses. (Took me a while, kid's distracting me.)

Thanks for doing the research, Phoenix.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:42 pm
Are you going to get your boyfriend a leash?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:49 pm
I wouldn't do it!

Soz
Ouch on the torn nipple!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:57 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Are you going to get your boyfriend a leash?

It's funny. I think that I was grossed out by the sight of my nephew with the nipple ring, because a leash attached to it was exactly what crossed my mind when I saw it.
0 Replies

KissyFace22

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:59 pm
umm...no leash haha....but I dunno the place I can go is alright tuns of people I know get stuff done there...thats not really the problem...I just want something different, and if I dont like it I can take it out I guess......and I also have done tuns of research on it...ive been planning for a few months now... this is kinda my 4th oppinion....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:18 pm
The problem is, if you don't like it, you can take it out -- but the damage might be already done.

Do you know if the place you have in mind will actually do it?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:37 pm
Realistically, it's very common, so it is unlikely that serious complications happen a lot. I am not sure whether it is appropriate to your age, though. If you do it, I would be sure that the particular place you choose is reputable.
0 Replies