articles in Bible

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:41 pm
And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

This is from the Holy Bible. And I'm not sure about its usage of the articles before grass, herb, and fruit. Why grass is without an article? Uncountable? Why "herb" is with an article at the first paragraph and without an article at the second? Why "tree" is with the article "the"? Thank you very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 716 • Replies: 10
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:19 pm
By omitting the article, one may refer to the abstract concept of the word.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:10 am
But they are parallel and similar, aren't they?
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:54 am
Keep in mind that the "King James" version of the Bible in English was intended by its translators to be poetic. In poetry it's allowable to tinker a bit with the grammar and normal word order to achieve the rhythm and sound you want.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:03 am
The grammar in that excerpt is not good by modern standards, but it was written a long time ago so the rules may have been different then.

However, the omission of the article is not one of those questionable points and is still done today.

edit: please not that you can only do this with plural nouns

For instance, "I like people" means that I like the concept of people. In general, I like people. But it does not refer to any specific group of people. Perhaps I hate every single person that is around me because I consider them flawed, but I can still say that I like the abstract concept of people.

"I like the people" refers to a specific group of people, and you would know which group I was talking about from the context.

In this passage, the nouns with articles also refer to abstract concepts...I believe that "the tree" refers to the specific "ideal concept of a tree," and so still actually means the same thing.

This would be going off of Plato's concepts of reality in which one believes that all the objects in life are impure representations of pure abstract concepts. I forget the term for it.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:56 am
Thank you. My English is poor. You're so omniscience.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:36 am
Haha, thanks...but I'm neither omniscient, omnipotent, nor omnipresent Razz

omnipotent is the adjective, omniscience is a noun.

so you should have said:

"You're so omniscient."
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:00 am
Thank you.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:17 am
But you could say : Stuh, you are the omniscience personified..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:14 am
Yes, but you'd have to leave the definite article out of the sentence, Francis . . . no, no, i'm definite on that point . . .
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:23 am
Yes, Set, definitely, I would...
0 Replies