Bush lied about Iraq: the smoking memo

kuvasz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 08:43 pm
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=634702

REVEALED: DOCUMENTS SHOW BLAIR'S SECRET PLANS FOR WAR

"By Raymond Whitaker, Andy McSmith and Francis Elliott

"01 May 2005

"Tony Blair had resolved to send British troops into action alongside US forces eight months before the Iraq War began, despite a clear warning from the Foreign Office that the conflict could be illegal.

"A damning minute leaked to a Sunday newspaper reveals that in July 2002, a few weeks after meeting George Bush at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, Mr Blair summoned his closest aides for what amounted to a council of war. The minute reveals the head of British intelligence reported that President Bush had firmly made up his mind to invade Iraq and overthrow Saddam Hussein, adding that 'the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy.'

"At the same time, a document obtained by this newspaper reveals the Foreign Office legal advice given to Mr Blair in March 2002, before he travelled to meet Mr Bush at his Texas ranch. It contains many of the reservations listed nearly a year later by the Attorney General in his confidential advice to the Prime Minister, which the Government was forced to publish last week, including the warning that the US government took a different view of international law from Britain or virtually any other country.

"The advice, also put before the July meeting, was drawn up in part by Elizabeth Wilmshurst, the Foreign Office's deputy legal adviser, who resigned on the eve of war in protest at what she called a 'crime of aggression."

Lets see how the SCLM in Amerika reports this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,260 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 08:48 pm
Re: Bush lied about Iraq: the smoking memo
kuvasz wrote:

"01 May 2005

"Tony Blair had resolved to send British troops into action alongside US forces eight months before the Iraq War began, despite a clear warning from the Foreign Office that the conflict could be illegal....

Sorry, where is a lie by Bush in this???
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:17 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

"01 May 2005

"Tony Blair had resolved to send British troops into action alongside US forces eight months before the Iraq War began, despite a clear warning from the Foreign Office that the conflict could be illegal....

Sorry, where is a lie by Bush in this???

okay, brandon I"ll explain real slow for you.

"The minute reveals the head of British intelligence reported that President Bush had firmly made up his mind to invade Iraq and overthrow Saddam Hussein, adding that "the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy".[/b]

In the run up to the war Bush had said repeatedly that Saddam had to let the weapons inspectors in to Iraq or he would have America invade Iraq. This Saddam allowed and even though the UN weapons inspectors were working in Iraq in the late winter-early spring of 2003, Bush said that Saddam was hiding things from them and demanded that they pull out.

THEN AMERICAN TROOPS INVADED.

what is your interpretation of the statement made by the head of British Intelligence that in America "the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy"........FULLY SEVEN MONTHS BEFORE THE AMERICANS INVADED IRAQ

Clearly, it means that for the Bushevik administration the facts would fit the policy and that policy was to invade Iraq.

what is so funny about right wing mouth breathers is that had a democrat done this you would be on him like white on rice. but since you think the sun shines out of George Bush's a$$hole you believe him even when the facts show he lied about why he took America to war.

I believe that George Bush is a traitor, that he should be impeached, convicted, then tried for treason, convicted again and imprisoned for the rest of his sorry-ass life all legal like, no regicide, just legal and by the book.

George Bush is a traitor to the US Constitituion he swore to protect and his lies have killed 100,000 iraqis, 1,600 American soldiers and marines as well as countless wounded Americans and Iraqis.

this memo shows that Bush intended to invade Iraq regardless of what saddam did or did not do.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:42 am
kuvasz wrote:
I believe that George Bush is a traitor, that he should be impeached, convicted, then tried for treason, convicted again and imprisoned for the rest of his sorry-ass life all legal like, no regicide, just legal and by the book.

George Bush is a traitor to the US Constitituion he swore to protect and his lies have killed 100,000 iraqis, 1,600 American soldiers and marines as well as countless wounded Americans and Iraqis.

Treason is a very specific legal offense, involving giving aid and comfort to an enemy in time of war, and nothing you've mentioned fits the descripton. Anyway, legally, before he could be tried for his non-existent treason, he'd have to be impeached, and that can only be done on the grounds of high crimes and misdemeanors.

kuvasz wrote:
...this memo shows that Bush intended to invade Iraq regardless of what saddam did or did not do.

Big deal. That only shows good sense. It doesn't strike me as much of a lie.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:34 am
Hmmm - interesting.

What would be much of a lie to you, I wonder?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 04:51 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - interesting.

Lying about a BJ. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:34 am
I have to confess I did wonder that.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:47 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

Treason is a very specific legal offense, involving giving aid and comfort to an enemy in time of war, and nothing you've mentioned fits the descripton. Anyway, legally, before he could be tried for his non-existent treason, he'd have to be impeached, and that can only be done on the grounds of high crimes and misdemeanors.

kuvasz wrote:
...this memo shows that Bush intended to invade Iraq regardless of what saddam did or did not do.

In law, treason is the crime of disloyalty to one's nation.

Good sense? What is good sense to you?
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:55 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - interesting.

Stealing money from a public contract and then lying about it maybe - certainly not having a strong preference for a certain policy, but going through the motions of allowing lesser measures to work.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:57 am
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

kuvasz wrote:

In law, treason is the crime of disloyalty to one's nation....

No, actually it's not. Treason is an actual crime involving a specific type of disloyalty. It isn't, "Well, I think that policy hurt us, so it's disloyalty."
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:59 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - interesting.

Stealing money from a public contract and then lying about it maybe - certainly not having a strong preference for a certain policy, but going through the motions of allowing lesser measures to work.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:01 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

kuvasz wrote:

In law, treason is the crime of disloyalty to one's nation....

No, actually it's not. Treason is an actual crime involving a specific type of disloyalty. It isn't, "Well, I think that policy hurt us, so it's disloyalty."

HUH? Shocked Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:05 am
That is actually your analysis of the alleged offence Brandon? Really?

You think "the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy" implies only that?

What do you think "fixing" intelligence and facts means?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:19 am
Perhaps he subscribes to Fox's contention that a conservative understands the difference between a lie and an untruth.

It would help everyone here to know that Brandon steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that there is no evidence that Iraq had WoMD, and that there has never been any connection shown between Iraq and the September 11th bombers.

It is pointless to argue the case with him. You can show him that no evidence has been found, and in his very next post, he will assert the threat from Iraqi weapons of mass destruction. Keep that in mind if you intend to continue to converse with him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:26 am
Yeah - yer right.

An expense of spirit in a waste of shame....
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:28 am
I know that is why I said the other day anything found from all this stuff with Blair is going to have little effect on bush or bush supporters. Bush could be found to have actually planted WMD in Iraq on tape and the usual suspects both here and across the nation would defend and rationalize it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:29 am
Setanta wrote:
It would help everyone here to know that Brandon steadfastly refuses....

I am very steadfast. Hey, why don't we talk about something more agreeable? Who likes tennis?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:33 am
You will say we are hiding the balls.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:34 am
dlowan wrote:
You will say we are hiding the balls.

Well, gosh, what about movies, then? Everyone ready for "Star Wars?"
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:39 am
An exercise in futility. Trying to convince Brandon that his "God" George Bush is anything but a paragon of virtue, truth and justice and of course intelligence is about as possible as changing lead into gold and truly an exercise in futility.
0 Replies