Guarding the stolen diamond vs Guarding from stealing the diamond vs Guarding the diamond stealing .

dbdbfk

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:10 pm
Guarding the stolen diamond vs Guarding from stealing the diamond vs Guarding the diamond stealing . Which one is correct and what is the difference?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 590 • Replies: 18
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:32 pm
@dbdbfk,
None of them are correct. What are you trying to say?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:50 pm
@glitterbag,
I think he's saying that no matter how many times one reads Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard one will never really appreciate was motivates Yermolay Lopakhin.

At least that's what I got, either that or something about potatoes.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Hahahahaha made me laugh out loud.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:25 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:25 pm
@dbdbfk,
Just choose one. You have a 1/3 chance at being right!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:34 pm
@dbdbfk,
Perhaps “prevent the diamond from being stolen”; however, without context it’s beyond my ability to say for certain.
dbdbfk

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:39 pm
@glitterbag,
Guarding the stolen diamond -- does this mean a guard/security personnel/or person is trying to protect the stolen diamond from further robbery? (probably at robbers den) -- what is the best way to put this across?

'Guarding from stealing the diamond' -- does this mean, protect the dimond in the first place from original owner. if this is incorrect what is the best way to put this accross?
0 Replies

dbdbfk

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 02:55 pm
@Ragman,
I need exact meaning of 'Guarding the stolen diamond' does this mean -- diamond was stolen from original owner, and kept at robber's place and some one guarding it. in this context is this correct?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:10 pm
@dbdbfk,
I suppose that could be the meaning, although it's very awkward. Is this the general idea? ----someone is trying to safeguard stolen property from being stolen again? or does it mean hiding the stolen property so that the owner of the stolen property can't find it?
dbdbfk

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:13 pm
@glitterbag,
"someone is trying to safeguard stolen property" yes

"hiding the stolen property so that the owner of the stolen property can't find it? " yes, not just from the owner but other robbers too Smile

dbdbfk

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:16 pm
@dbdbfk,
"although it's very awkward" there are enough hollywood movies on this situation. Watch Ocean's series
glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 03:21 pm
@dbdbfk,
If that's the case, someone is hiding the stolen property....not guarding it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 10:35 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I think he's saying that no matter how many times one reads Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard one will never really appreciate was motivates Yermolay Lopakhin.

At least that's what I got, either that or something about potatoes.

DAMN YOU Izzy! Where are the #spoiler warnings! Mad Crying or Very sad
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 11:56 am
@tsarstepan,
Sorry, sometimes I get a bit carried away.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 09:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Maybe it IS something about potatoes.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 10:02 pm
@dbdbfk,
ok, is guarding the stolen diamond the actual 'other language' translated to English? If it is, maybe if you present the original phrase in the original language, it can be better translated back to English. The reason I mention that is because I've owned Japanese and German cars and sometimes the instruction manual has been translated from Japanese or German into English using what I think is an automatic translation program. Those programs can cause problems because they choose the 1st meaning of a word when there may be several ways to use that word.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 10:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
no matter how many times one reads Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard

Plays are meant to be watched not read.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 01:00 am
@glitterbag,
Everything comes back to potatoes in the end.

There's a race horse over here that was supposed to be called potatoes. The lad whose job is was to register the details heard, 'Put eight os,' so the race horse was named oooooooo.

It's still pronounced potatoes though, it's not like things have ever had to sound like they're spelled this side of the pond.
0 Replies