Vietnam War: Should USA Have Persisted?

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 04:52 am
It was a costly war at all fronts, no doubts about it, especially as far as human toll goes.

But on thirtieth anniversary of America's departure in disgrace from Saigon, I was wondering if US had persisted and persevered, maybe the result would be much different and probably better.

Whats your take?

Vietnam Celebrates
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 919 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:38 am
My take is, it was a disgrace to get involved in the way we did for what was to be gained. Seldom in history has so much been sacrificed for so little. So many of our people's lives lost over there, not to mention the millions of non Americans killed. I have been protesting that war since 1965 and will continue to do so until the day I die.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
edgarblythe wrote:
My take is, it was a disgrace to get involved in the way we did for what was to be gained. Seldom in history has so much been sacrificed for so little. So many of our people's lives lost over there, not to mention the millions of non Americans killed. I have been protesting that war since 1965 and will continue to do so until the day I die.

I agree with every word here. I am non American, but facts are facts
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 09:39 am
The US should never have been involved. I doubt that no matter how long we stayed or how persistant we were the outcome would have been any different.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 10:50 am
Re: Vietnam War: Should USA Have Persisted?
rainforest wrote:
It was a costly war at all fronts, no doubts about it, especially as far as human toll goes.

But on thirtieth anniversary of America's departure in disgrace from Saigon, I was wondering if US had persisted and persevered, maybe the result would be much different and probably better.

Whats your take?

Vietnam Celebrates

My take is that I am rather shocked by your assertion. Please explain just how the result would have been better.
0 Replies

Pepito

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:50 am
I think it was David Brinkley who stated the reason he opposed US involvement in Vietnam. He said something to the effect, "If we win, we really don't win anything."
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:45 pm
Re: Vietnam War: Should USA Have Persisted?
Chrissee wrote:
rainforest wrote:

Whats your take?

Vietnam Celebrates

My take is that I am rather shocked by your assertion. Please explain just how the result would have been better.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:59 pm
Yeah, like Chrissee, I'm a little confused by the question. My take on it is that we should'a been outta there long before the escalation started. We had lost about 58,000 American lives, our government had lost major face abroad, the nation was divided in a way I'd never seen before (nor since, come to that), we were losing the war from every point of view. We had nothing left to lose. The only decent thing to do was to get out. My only regret is that we royally screwed our friends, the South Vietnamese, most of whom lived in the Mekong Delta, by simply abandoning them. But, in the long run, it seems to have worked out for the best.
0 Replies