Considering Knee Replacement? Check this Out!

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:35 pm
I was Googling "knee surgery" and found this fascinating interactive site, made for kids in grades 7-12. It it a great site for adults too!

http://edheads.org/activities/knee/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,119 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:56 pm
Are you considering knee surgery, Phoenix?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:41 pm
Hmmm. I wonder how Mags is doing with her new husband, new knee, and his and her cats.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 04:20 am
dlowan wrote:
Are you considering knee surgery, Phoenix?

Not quite yet. A number of years ago my secretary left a box on the floor in the middle of my office. I did not notice it, fell right over it, slam, onto my left knee.

Over the years, I have had an awareness of a slight instability, and some twinges in that knee. I have begun my spring diet (YEA!), and have been doing a lot of walking. When I walk, it is usually for 3-4 miles at a time. This seems to have triggered something in that knee. Not bad, but definitely a bit worse than in the past.
I bought a light elastic brace to wear when I go on my walks, and hope that when I shed the excess avoirdupois, my knee will improve. I expect though, that eventually I will have to do something.

Did you check the link? I thought that it was fascinating. I characteristically go to the professional sites for medical information, and usually read stuff intended for physicians. This was a refreshing change, and really gave a lot of helpful information.
0 Replies

mags314

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 06:06 pm
Knee replacements, et al
Hey, it's me! Mags314! The knee was replaced two years ago and it is magnificent. I get down on the floor with the babies in my story hour and sit cross-legged with them. The new husband, also two years old, is also magnificent. Cats are four and doing great. Richard has completely stolen the heart of one of them, an 18 pounder named Albert, part Maine Coon Cat. I am retiring from my job in September, but will continue to do my story hour for the babies as a volunteer. I have lots of other fun plans on my plate, too. Glad you remember me, Phoenix. I would recommend you have surgery only when you can't stand it any longer. It's a major step, and it's also a major amount of rehab and you have to work very hard. But it you're in agony, do it. Godspeed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 06:25 pm
Hi mags!

I was really put off by Ethelred's (from Abuzz) awful experience - it is good to hear good stories!

My knees are getting bad - I dumbly had a treadmill, which I had permanently set on quite a steep hill, for a long time - that and constantly running up and down very steep stairs, with high risers, at work, has damaged them.

I am currently using green-lipped mussel oil - which has good clinical trials supporting it - and I have mostly pain-free mobility again. I keep off stairs, though. And I have new orthotics - was walking over an hour a day for a bit, and hurt my knees again cos the old ones had worn out.

I had tried the mussel oil earlier - but not at clinical doseage, as it turned out. The effect this time has been amazing.

Just a thought to see if it mght help extend your knee's life a bit, Phoenix?

Of course, you may have a totally different problem...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 09:07 pm
Well, lawzee. It's like magic. Say the right words and good things happen. Mags, glad you're still with us.
0 Replies

mags314

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:33 am
Hi Roger...

Yes, I'm still around. Pottering with the kiddies at the library, and getting ready to retire. People ask me what on earth I'm going to do, but I think I'm incapable of being bored. I always have things to do.

Yes, my knee is wonderful. You have to do EVERY SINGLE THING they tell you to do in the way of rehab. Also,m I was younger than many people who have knee replacement. (Although I am no spring chick) Embarrassed
0 Replies