Is This Human Sexuality Education?

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 01:37 pm
A Lexington dad became concerned when his son came home from kindergarten with a bag of books promoting diversity. The books were about foreign cultures and traditions, along with food recipes and a copy of ''Who's In a Family?" depicting different kinds of families, including same-sex couples raising children.
The bag is sent home with one student at a time, according to the co-president of the PTA. Parents received notice about the book bag at the beginning of the year and the date it is scheduled to be sent home with their child. ''The kids don't have to take the materials home," she said. ''Parents can opt out entirely or use whatever materials they want."
The dad began a series of e-mail exchanges asking school officials to notify them about discussions about same-sex marriage and other adult themes. They wanted the option to exclude their boy, from those talks. He went to the school to gain assurances and then refused to leave. He stayed at the school for more than two hours, as officials and Lexington police urged him to leave. Finally, they arrested him for trespassing.
Governor Mitt Romney said: ''Schools under our parental-notification law are required to inform parents . . . of matters relating to human sexuality that may be taught in the classroom and to allow that child to be out of the classroom for that period of the education."
Lexington School Committee chairman, said parents of older students are notified in advance when sex education will be taught. ''We don't view telling a child that there is a family out there with two mommies as teaching about homosexuality, heterosexuality, or any kind of sexuality," he said. ''We are teaching about the realities of where different children come from."
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/04/29/arrested_father_had_point_to_make/

I can understand the dad's concern if they were teaching a child about homosexuality, but is this really teaching a child about homosexuality? If so, then wouldn't showing any sort of family, say one with a mom and dad be considered teaching a child about heterosexuality?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 631 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 01:43 pm
i think people need to take a step into reality. That child will need to understand that families are not just one mommy, one daddy, one boy and one girl with a doggie and a goldfish. Families are much more than that. I don't think it promotes anything more than the understanding that a family is a loving support system of people you can trust. I also think it instills tolerance and diversity before the child can fully understand what those words even mean. And that will stay with them as they grow and learn and develop.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:59 pm
This is precisely what the "Postcards from Buster" flap was about. I agree that there is nothing about showing a family with two moms (for example) that is inherently more sexual than showing a family with a mom and a dad.
0 Replies

alexdepp

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 04:43 pm
I used to think all of the homophobia really embarassing, but how I think that society's phobias of anyone that is different just really really sad. I mean when you get to the core of humanity we all just want to be accepted and it is just sickening that you could deny anyone acceptance because they are different. Then again there does have to be acceptable and unacceptable behavior in society, but I don't think this category has anything to do with morality.
0 Replies