Books signed out at public libraries must be reported

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:15 pm
Under the Patriot Act signed by president Bush, public libraries are required to report to the government what books readers check out to read. This was just reported on t.v. in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I can't provide any supporting document or article. Any comments? c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,296 • Replies: 17
No top replies

au1929

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:22 pm
c.i.
Big brother is watching.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:26 pm
au, I'm just wondering how far this president is willing to go for the American People? c.i.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:28 pm
Hi, ci...I doubt the accuracy of the report . Librarians are very emphatic that they should not be required, and in fact would not comply with any order to disclose records of library useage. This story pops up periodically.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:41 pm
They are not "required to report" anything. They are required to produce records when served with a warrant.

"Section 215: Access to Records Under Foreign Intelligence Security Act (FISA):

Allows an FBI agent to obtain a search warrant for "any tangible thing," which can include books, records, papers, floppy disks, data tapes, and computers with hard drives.

Permits the FBI to compel production of library circulation records, Internet use records, and registration information stored in any medium.

Does not require the agent to demonstrate "probable cause," the existence of specific facts to support the belief that a crime has been committed or that the items sought are evidence of a crime. Instead, the agent only needs to claim that he believes that the records he wants may be related to an ongoing investigation related to terrorism or intelligence activities, a very low legal standard.

Libraries or librarians served with a search warrant issued under FISA rules may not disclose, under of penalty of law, the existence of the warrant or the fact that records were produced as a result of the warrant. A patron cannot be told that his or her records were given to the FBI or that he or she is the subject of an FBI investigation."

http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/usapatriotlibrary.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:44 pm
"Libraries or librarians served with a search warrant issued under FISA rules may not disclose, under of penalty of law, the existence of the warrant or the fact that records were produced as a result of the warrant. A patron cannot be told that his or her records were given to the FBI or that he or she is the subject of an FBI investigation."
and that, in my mind, constitutes a police state
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:45 pm
Thanks, fishin, Sounds like something they might already have done before the Patriot Act, if a warrant is required. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:52 pm
Here's an interesting link on the Waco Warrants on the Branch Dividian compound, and what went wrong. http://i2i.org/SuptDocs/Waco/warrant.htm

c.i.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 09:31 pm
Quote:
Santa Fe Police Detain Library Patron over Chat-Room Visit
A St. John's College Library visit by a former public defender was abruptly interrupted February 13 when city police officers arrested him about 9 p.m. at the computer terminal he was using, handcuffed him, and brought him to the Santa Fe, New Mexico, police station for questioning by Secret Service agents from Albuquerque. Andrew J. O'Conner, 40, who was released about five hours later, said in the February 16 Santa Fe New Mexican..
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 09:33 pm
Yikes we might as well be in Iraq.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 09:41 pm
"Thanks, fishin, Sounds like something they might already have done before the Patriot Act, if a warrant is required. c.i."
the change is that no justification is now required for the warrant other than the statement "reason to believe"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 09:43 pm
Maybe, Saddam is going to win the war. We lose all our freedoms, and Saddam survives this war. He'll end up with more freedoms than Americans. c.i.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 10:11 pm
You do tend to hyperbolize, C.I.-

just a widdle bit.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 10:25 pm
i only exaggerate Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 10:28 pm
What chat-room was he visiting!?!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 10:48 pm
Come on, now. I know I blow it up way out of proportion... but that's part of the 'fun.' Gotta keep a 'lil humor going, or these things can get way too serious. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:58 pm
This was seen in a library in Santa Cruz:

http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2003/03/10/ba_library2.jpg

people, shouldn't this worry us?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 10:30 pm
snood, This administration continues to attack many of our 'freedoms,' but people don't seem to know or mind. They all think it's justified in the war against terrorism. I wonder if anybody is keeping track of all the ways this government is constricting our freedoms? When we consider the short time span in which this government has implemented so many new laws and regulations on keeping track of our personal information, it does make one wonder how much farther they will go in two more years? As long as it doesn't seem to affect "me," I think we're going to see more laws and regulations as the Patriot Act. c.i.
0 Replies