Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

fisherman

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 01:55 am
[/quote="wandeljw"]A Brief Primer on Natural Selection:

Quote:
In 1859 Charles Darwin published his theory of natural selection amid an explosion of controversy. Like the work of Copernicus...

wandeljw, your assumption that I had not read the entire thread is correct, ("I do not expect you to read the entire thread, fisherman"). While learning is indeed one of my passions I confess that I cannot afford to invest more time in pursuing it. You said; "But we have tried to illustrate all points of view on this subject." Also, "questions about evolutionary theory have been answered in detail".
Why then the redundancy of your recent post above?

Spendius, your post 2474488 fairly expresses much of my own "position" relative to this thread and one I shall save for future plagiarizing by your permission.

"Because materialism represents common sense, enthrones it actually, it has found itself having to try to ignore the uncertainties of modern physics..." and thus has "become embedded in cultures through such things as beliefs, customs, traditions, habits of thought and action and taboos and the more so as the culture is successful and thus reinforcing of them."

and I would add has thus become an ideology unto itself.

p.s. forgive me if quoting a member to formulate my own point is against board etiquette.
0 Replies

Chumly

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 02:08 am
fisherman wrote:
p.s. forgive me if quoting a member to formulate my own point is against board etiquette.
It's not, but I sternly urge you to quote me instead.
Chumly wrote:
A cybernetic parasitic being has invaded Spendi's body, recognizable by a small gill flap on the back of the neck. It's an open question whether this represents an evolutionary change in the sense of fitness, or a random outside influence destined for unknowable realms.
Chumly wrote:
Are you then saying that femoral intercourse (if argued as evolutionarily beneficial to Homo sapiens sapiens) would be more a question of fitness or of random event?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 02:36 am
fisherman, prolly my fault gain, but I'm not sure where you're coming from or trying to get to wih your question
fisherman wrote:
... You said; "But we have tried to illustrate all points of view on this subject." Also, "questions about evolutionary theory have been answered in detail".
Why then the redundancy of your recent post above?

Help me out some here, if its not too much bother.

On to other things, I'm sure spendi appreciates the fan mail, and will be delighted to learn someone might find it desirable to plagiarize something he'd authored. And I imagine he'd be more than thrilled to have an ally. I wish the two of you the very best.

And as for "board ettiquette", my take is that accurately quoting or reasonably faithfully paraphrising anyone, to just about any end, is pretty much OK all around - intentionally misquoting or otherwise implying or alleging a member has said something other than in fact was said, on the other hand, particularly if unambuguously done to mean purpose, pretty much gets frowned on here, just as it is out there in the meat world. Around here, the "rules" are about the same as they would be in any civilized setting; if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, its prolly not a real good idea to say it here.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 05:48 am
And the fun part is:

Quote:
"Because materialism represents common sense, enthrones it actually, it has found itself having to try to ignore the uncertainties of modern physics..." and thus has "become embedded in cultures through such things as beliefs, customs, traditions, habits of thought and action and taboos and the more so as the culture is successful and thus reinforcing of them."

this isn't true.

Joe(that's the difference)Nation
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 06:51 am
I didn't actually say that Joe.

I don't think that cutting and pasting two separate segments of my post and linking them with an addition of your own which is included in a quote you ascribe to me is quite the accepted thing. But maybe you Americans have different standards which I am unfamiliar with.

It wasn't materialism that embedded in our culture the beliefs, customs, traditions, habits of thought and action and taboos I was referring to. Quite the opposite in fact. Had it been materialism I don't think we would be anywhere near where we now are.

I apologise for that post seemingly having confused you but if I am guilty of gratuitous, prolix rambling as timber asserted I can hardly be expected to cure myself overnight.

I certainly agree that the quote you edited into being represents a position which is "not true".

There must be an infinite number of editing possibilities which I could easily produce to which such a criticism might be applied.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 07:38 am
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
State board to revisit science, sex education
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:02 am
And they will change again because the see-saw won't be stopping see-sawing anytime soon due to institutionalised difficulties which only meltdown can change.

One presumes that the students who left in 1991, 2001 and 2005 are now mixing together at work and in other meeting places and are at sixes and sevens with each other using assertions and that in the fullness of time a few out of this range will become board members deciding the future of American education but only a tiny fraction of the votes that elect them or the people who appoint them will have any interest in the issues mentioned in the quote.

As the man said

Quote:
This process is clearly broken
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:29 am
spendius wrote:
One presumes that the students who left in 1991, 2001 and 2005 are now mixing together at work and in other meeting places and are at sixes and sevens with each other

spendi,
The students themselves may not be at sixes and sevens. Every time anti-evolution measures were adopted in Kansas, board members were voted out by the public and the subsequent newly-configured boards repealed the anti-evolution measures before they went into effect. The science curriculum itself remained unchanged during the political storms.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:38 am
Do you mean wande that all the sound and fury really does signify nothing?

I told you. It's just attention seeking, self-promotion and wheeler-dealing and media goes for the ride because it reduces the cost of the stuff between the adverts.

The kids sail on oblivious.

Which side does the unchanged curriculum support and is it the same in all states or even districts?
0 Replies

fisherman

Tue 9 Jan, 2007 10:40 am
spendius wrote:
I didn't actually say that Joe.

I don't think that cutting and pasting two separate segments of my post and linking them with an addition of your own which is included in a quote you ascribe to me is quite the accepted thing.

I shall refrain from such practice starting now.

Quote:
It wasn't materialism that embedded in our culture the beliefs, customs, traditions, habits of thought and action and taboos I was referring to. Quite the opposite in fact. Had it been materialism I don't think we would be anywhere near where we now are.

Your original point on this was indeed understood. And I assumed that my rendition of your statement would be taken as "not true". I was making an assertion.

timberlandko wrote:
On to other things, I'm sure spendi appreciates the fan mail, and will be delighted to learn someone might find it desirable to plagiarize something he'd authored. And I imagine he'd be more than thrilled to have an ally. I wish the two of you the very best.

Just offering credit when due.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:14 am
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
Science reversal set in motion
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:36 am
Quote:
New state board tackles evolution immediately

Story by Scott Rothschild

1:46 p.m. Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Just minutes after a new moderate majority took control of the State Board of Education today, the issue of evolution came back up.

The board voted to hear about proposed science standards that support evolution later in the day with a possible decision on them next month.

The issue produced a long line of speakers both for and against evolution during a public comment period.

Doug Kaufman, a physician's assistant and pastor from Leavenworth, told the board that evolution "doesn't stand up to real science."

But supporters of evolution urged the board to change the current standards that include criticism of evolution and were put together by proponents of intelligent design.

Those standards were adopted by the 6-4 conservative majority in 2005. Now the board has a 6-4 moderate majority.

In other action, board members elected Bill Wagnon, a Democrat from Topeka, as their new chairman.

Carol Rupe, a Republican from Wichita, was voted vice chair, and Sue Gamble, a Republican from Shawnee, was elected legislative coordinator. All three are considered moderates.

After taking the chair, Wagnon urged members on the often contentious board to work together to improve the public school system.

"There are ways of promoting effective change without undermining confidence in it," Wagnon said.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:25 pm
wande quoted in a post riddled with countervailing assertions-

Quote:
John Calvert, managing director of the Intelligent Design network and an architect of controversial changes made to the Kansas standards, said state board members should stick to the current document to avoid indoctrinating schoolchildren with a materialistic view.

So what is a materialistic view. It can't be avoided as an abstract concept.

It is that everything is made of stuff (matter- mass today) which exists in a void. (See my earler post).

Platonism takes a different position to that of modern physics.

It has no room for concepts like mind, consciousness, spirit, soul or free will. Even the illusion of these things is material. Such things, along with desires, pains and thoughts are simply states of the material body.

Frege and Popper have tried to mitigate the severity of this doctrine by positing the existence of three realms namely-

1-Material things including sub-atomic particles and force fields.

2-Psychological things like thoughts, feelings etc. including the minds

3-Abstract things like numbers, colours, truths, values etc.

Strict materialism is only concerned with No1. But some Platonists assert the existence of No3.

And matter itself is now under dispute after Einstein and Quantum Theory.

The materialist is exclusively concerned with bodily pleasure and the means to attaining them. And that begs the question of aesthetic pleasure. Media, a solid supporter of anti-ID, sells bodily pleasures. There are pleasures and means to pleasures in debating these issues.

All the rejected categories can be easily included in religious belief.

Even the concept of education, as we know it, is out of the question for materialists. They only have conditioning and indoctrination and it would be interesting to research into how Ms Waugh was conditioned to seek pleasure in sitting on an education board rather than in pole-dancing or somesuch.

To the materialist malice has the same value as love both being conditioned reflexes and identical scientifically in principle. This might be an important reason why Europe does not execute people but recognises that certain manifestations of certain conditionings have to be separated from approved conditionings and others who have so far eluded capture and can thus study them to discover mistakes in conditioning and perhaps prevent these crimes being committed in the future.

Good and evil have no meaning to a materialist.

But it's a lot more complex than that. That's the first 5 minutes and I daresay some of you took less over it.

One supposes that those who think we are monkeys are justified in turning society into a giant monkey-cage. They must have been conditioned differently from myself and most of the people I know. I played bridge for years with a materialist for a partner and he was stark-staring bonkers. Wife too.

Silent night-Holy Nite
Sheperds watch their flocks by night.
Sleep in heavenly rest.

Yessir!

Materialists will have you all on parade every day looking spick and span at 6.30 am. (7.30 on Days of National Festivity) and marched off to your respective work stations.

I know which tent flap they are trying to get their noses under and I know on which side my bread is buttered.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:34 pm
spendius wrote:
I know which tent flap they are trying to get their noses under.........
OK but what about that vestigial gill flap I hear all Brits have?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:52 pm
It has migrated from the back of the neck to a position within the oesophagus where it can derive more benefit from passing beer than before.

It holds the world record for the fastest organ transience in evolution's long and sordid history at 3inches/ 500 years which is greased lightning to anything a duck-billed platypus can manage.

That's why we make such a fuss when anybody spills a pint over the front of our pants.

You must have consulted an old book Chum.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:35 pm
It was remiss of me in my earlier post not to mention the materialist attitude to individual differences which result in behaviour which the materialist disapproves of. The most obvious being the mental state which finds materialists obnoxious.

One has seen paroxysms of rage on these very threads concerning the views of a range of people in such a state.

The materialist solution is, of course, to recondition them along those lines which materialists are comfortable with and, as we all know, or at least those of us who can drop the expression "quantum theory" into our conversation casually, comfort has no known upper limit.

The Fathers of the Church are much more experienced in human affairs and are tolerant of individual differences and seek to accomodate all of God's children within their benevolent bosom except possible those boat-rockers who sought to go faster that the cultural train can manage. They will forgive anything outside of that.

And they have a lot of holidays and rest days although I do think they might increase those a bit.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:49 pm
spendius wrote:
You must have consulted an old book Chum.
Well it was passed on to me in a dream by the Gray's near Area 51, but at least it's still of a higher overall plausibly than the good book.
0 Replies

fisherman

Thu 11 Jan, 2007 12:25 am
You think it is more plausibly than the book about Whoville?
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:15 am
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 11 Jan, 2007 09:59 am
Quote:
ID needs to offer a competing theory
(COMMENTARY By Kenneth Pidcock, Centre Daily, January 10, 2007)

In books and articles written for a socially conservative readership, it is suggested that American scientists are failing to act in good faith by refusing to accept intelligent design as a legitimate scientific alternative to Darwinian evolutionary theory.

This lack of respect, among scientists, for intelligent design is attributed to metaphysical bias and hostility to religious faith arising from a sort of default materialism among members of the scientific community.

To the extent that the accusation is legitimate (and there may be an extent to which it is), it must be taken seriously. Scientists are supported in their research and teaching with an understanding that they will offer an unbiased account of nature.

If philosophical bias leads them to privilege some explanations over others, they have failed in their responsibility to the public and should be held accountable.

It is appropriate to ask scientists to explain what, absent philosophical bias, accounts for their lack of respect for the theory of intelligent design. I would like to offer my own explanation: There is no theory of intelligent design.

To understand how this is, it helps to start with something on which all parties, from Richard Dawkins to William Dembski, agree: Microevolutionary change within species is an outcome of natural selection.

When we learn that drug-resistant mycobacteria are hampering control of tuberculosis, both Darwinian evolutionary biologists and supporters of intelligent design understand that the environment has selected drug-resistant mycobacterial mutants.

Where they differ is on what accounts for macroevolutionary change, the appearance of new species. Supporters of what is called the neo-Darwinian synthesis -- the principal target of the intelligent design community -- contend that microevolutionary change over time, with continued selection and reproductive isolation, leads to speciation. They test their theories against evidence from the fossil record, biogeography and comparative genomics.

Supporters of intelligent design focus their scholarship on challenging the assumptions of the neo-Darwinian synthesis, particularly with respect to whether undirected mutation and recombination can lead to speciation. Much of their argument rests on information and probability theory. However, they do not offer an alternative theory that can be tested against available evidence for how speciation occurs.

The molecular nature of a design event, and how it differs from undirected mutation and recombination, has never been proposed. ("Specified complexity" is an outcome, not a mechanism.)

The absence of any proposed mechanism for speciation is a fundamental deficiency for any scientific explanation for evolution, and accounts for why intelligent design is not taken seriously within the scientific community.

Intelligent design supporters are not alone in their critique of the neo-Darwinian synthesis. Biologist Lynn Margulis and others likewise question neo-Darwinian assumptions, using some of the same arguments from probability as the intelligent design community. They differ, categorically, from the intelligent design community in that they offer an alternative theory -- symbiogenesis -- in which illegitimate (the word does not convey value) recombination among disparate genomes accounts for speciation.

Having an actual theory allows supporters of symbiogenesis to test that theory against evidence provided by the fossil record and extant genomes, which has provided some interesting insight into the evolutionary process.

Symbiogenesis as a major mechanism for speciation is not widely supported within the scientific community, but its supporters receive much greater respect than do supporters of intelligent design. In fact, Margulis has served as president of Sigma Xi, a scientific research society. This is not because neo-Darwinians are more comfortable metaphysically with symbiogenesis. It is because symbiogenesis offers a testable scientific theory.

Supporters of intelligent design promote "teaching the controversy" but, in doing so, they misrepresent what controversy means in the context of scientific deliberation.

Real scientific controversy entails discussion among competing, testable theories. The controversy between neo-Darwinian theory and symbiogenesis is very real and, if I may speak as an amateur scientist, quite enjoyable.

Intelligent design proponents claim that they are being excluded from the discussion because of philosophical bias, but that is not true. They are being excluded from the discussion because, for whatever reason, they have chosen to offer no competing theory. Until they do, it is they who are failing to act in good faith, and scientists should not feel pressure to pretend otherwise.

(Kenneth Pidcock, Ph.D., is an associate professor of biology at Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.)
0 Replies