Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

cicerone imposter

Thu 28 Dec, 2006 10:11 pm
One thing we can depend on spendi is his in and out of sobriety.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:02 am
NEW BOOK

Excerpt from The Top 10 Myths about Evolution by Cameron McPherson Smith and Charles Sullivan:
Quote:
A clever move by ID proponents is to claim that they just want to "teach the controversy" of evolution in public schools. On the surface this sounds very fair-minded and objective. Teaching the controversy might have saved Galileo a lot of grief when he argued that the sun, not Earth, is at the center of our planetary system. But we wouldn't "teach the controversy" between a sun-centered and earth-centered system in astronomy classes today, simply because there is no controversy. The sun-centered system has been accepted because the evidence shows it to be a fact. The same holds for evolution. There is no controversy to teach because mainstream science recognizes that evolution is the best explanation for the great variety of life on Earth. This is why the National Academy of Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (publishers of the journal Science) have publicly expressed their opposition to teaching ID in public schools. The idea of a controversy is simply a clever fabrication designed by ID publicists and media hounds.

Teaching ID in schools as if it were a genuine scientific alternative to the theory of evolution will only confuse students about how science really works. And further, it will put those students who might pursue scientific careers at a serious educational disadvantage.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 11:54 am
wandeljw wrote:
NEW BOOK
Excerpt from The Top 10 Myths about Evolution by Cameron McPherson Smith and Charles Sullivan:
Quote:
... Teaching ID in schools as if it were a genuine scientific alternative to the theory of evolution will only confuse students about how science really works. And further, it will put those students who might pursue scientific careers at a serious educational disadvantage.

Indeed - and in such regard the notion of "Teaching" ID-iocy as science poses a clear and intolerable threat to National Security.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:40 pm
That's not the only problem; the US is falling further behind in science and math. That's going to impact our economy for the long-term in a world that becomes more competitive. The middle-class now complaining about their wages stagnating ain't seen nothing yet!
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:44 pm
The last two posts are simple assertions restating well worn positions.

IDers would need to change only a word or two to put them out.

There is no evidence for any of the contentions contained in them. They are just prejudice.

The Dow hit a record yesterday I believe. And I have seen no evidence that pips are squeaking in the middle-classes, quite the contrary in fact, or that there is any likelihood of them doing so in the future.

I think c.i.'s threat is the old bogeyman trick. The middle-classes are so surfeited that they are having difficulty deciding which novel treat to indulge next and when they do decide they spend half their time thinking about the the treats they let go to have the one they are on.

The average middle class household is covered from top to bottom with gee-gaws, bottles, clothes, equipment etc etc and they are growing and the middle class is growing.

Job is a reasonable appellation for anti-IDers.

Be an anti-IDer and have your mouth turn down at the corners.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:54 pm
Quote:
IDers would need to change only a word or two to put them out.
. However, since there's no evidence in support of the Iders, they can't. See how science works ? Are we ready for a pop quiz ?

When you taught kids "science" did you rely on faith based conclusions then, or is this a recent manifestation?
0 Replies

Chumly

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:07 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Indeed - and in such regard the notion of "Teaching" ID-iocy as science poses a clear and intolerable threat to National Security.
On the pretext that science and technology equal improved national security?
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:17 pm
chumly, quoting Timber said
Quote:
. Perhaps not, but at least our paranoia is at a much higher level of understanding
0 Replies

Chumly

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:19 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
That's not the only problem; the US is falling further behind in science and math. That's going to impact our economy for the long-term in a world that becomes more competitive. The middle-class now complaining about their wages stagnating ain't seen nothing yet!
Perhaps so, and not to denigrate your valid concerns one bit, but if a smaller number of whizzes broadly apply automation, robotics, computerization and present / future AI systems the future may not be a simple extension of the past, nor a proportional extrapolation of the number of well educated individuals.

That's not to say that's the world I want to live in, but let me ask you this, could you design and build a simple wired telecommunications system let alone a modern computer CPU?
0 Replies

Chumly

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:20 pm
farmerman wrote:
chumly, quoting Timber said
Quote:
. Perhaps not, but at least our paranoia is at a much higher level of understanding
Now that's good humors!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:36 pm
Chumly wrote: That's not to say that's the world I want to live in, but let me ask you this, could you design and build a simple wired telecommunications system let alone a modern computer CPU?

As kids, we connected a string to two paper cups, and we used that to "communicate." Now that I've been retired since 1998 from management, the issues of advanced telecommunication systems and computer CPUs are the challenges for our current and future scientists and engineers. Chemistry and biotech is another area that will continue to grow economically for the future.

A good education is a necessary component to remain competitive in this world.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:03 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:

Another meaningless assertion.

I'll have you know fm that nobody's paranoia is a match for mine. There are bastards out to get you in the phewking garbage bin. I know that's incredible but it's true.

Like Yossarian said when Shrawstzcoff (?) pinned a notice up--"What's shithead up to now?" Or somesuch.

It pays to be paranoid. Innocents get fwucked over as de Sade pointed out at great length and he was a proper, full-baked anti-IDer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:06 pm
isnt it time they plug you in for the evening? Youre babbling again.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:33 pm
Wassamadder fm-

Do you not like my reminding you that de Sade was your Great Leader in the anti-ID cause. Following La Mettrie of course who had to flee for his life and was probably murdered with poisoned food.

Your blurtings and blusterings won't alter that no matter how witty they seem to you in your eyrie.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:39 pm
I wasnt attempting wit, I was voicing clinical concern.
0 Replies

Chumly

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:43 pm
The Odd Couple!

No offense meant........
None taken.......
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:54 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
... As kids, we connected a string to two paper cups, and we used that to "communicate" ...

As a kid - around 13 or 14, anyhow, but from where I sit now, that's definitely "Kid" - I built a color TV ... there was only one station in town at the time broadcasting color, and that was only a few prime-time hours a few evenings a week. Quite a deal in the neighbohood at the time.

Well, "built" is an exageration; mostly it was a kit. So were the breadloaf-sized walkie-talkies we kids used back then - but they worked.

Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 30 Dec, 2006 05:40 am
c.i. wrote-

Quote:

We can all agree with that up to a point. It could be disputed. Isn't the ID/anti-ID argument concerned with different, possibly opposite, meanings of "good"?

There is the small matter of defining "good" to deal with.

I would consider an education which expunged humility and gave credence to assertion as an intellectual method to be hopeless and the quote is an assertion which is tautological as "good" means what the writer means. Basically the quote means to me that c.i. has typed a post which has no meaning outside of that.

It is of the same order of statement as "Oh Deardrie-that's a lovely dress you're wearing-it looks really, really good.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:38 am
spendius wrote:
c.i. wrote-

Quote:

We can all agree with that up to a point. It could be disputed. Isn't the ID/anti-ID argument concerned with different, possibly opposite, meanings of "good"?

I am glad you agree with us on something, spendi.

As far as different definitions of "good", you seem to be the only person concerned about such esoteria.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:52 am
So, now weve got THE GOD LAB, where some scientists are carrying out research on "design". Unfortunately, in the article, theres a sub-pice re: a computer code that ran undisturbed to "recreate" the conditions on earth and it seemes to show that, if left to its own devices, life will result in more complex forms, unencumbered by divine intervention. Thats a big OOPS for the anti-science guys of the ID lab.
0 Replies