Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

timberlandko

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 03:53 pm
farmerman wrote:
rl
Quote:
A final question for those evolutionists who still think evolutionary imcompatibility is THE issue in the Baby Fae case:

Do you also reject the use of pig heart valves and bovine insulin in humans for similar reasons?
. Of course its the issue, along with serology (which, in Baby Faes case was shown to be incompatible). The chimp transplants were pre-the days of anti rejection . Also the use of pig TISSUE is similar to animal skin grafts and stainless steel hip joints. We Can MAKE things compatible now. WE STILL cant jigger in cross species organs and expect a great prognosis.

THE FACT THAT THIS IS NOW A RECOGNIZED FALSIFIABILITY EXERCISE against a Creationist mindset seems to be escaping you.

Much escapes the likes of rl - the real world is not at all as they prefer to imagine it to be.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 04:27 pm
c.i.

I don't answer stuff such as ros wrote. There is no answer to it like there is no answer to a duck quacking. It's as unintelligible as that. Of course I read it. Can't you get out of making assertions up and then drawing conclusions from them.

What he knows about projection could be written on a postage stamp with a slurry gun. It's just a term of abuse which he thinks people will be impressed with as showing his knowledge of psychology.

As for fm's statement which you quoted I'm afraid I don't understand it.

After listening to a lengthy news item on the Sterne report, due out tomorrow, on global warming, I can well understand your mental repression of social consequences as you jolly and jaunt around the world doing your bit to drop all the kids of the future in the **** and some of your own on the rest of us as you go.

You are in for a rude awakening sunshine. But at your age what do you care. Let the devil take the hindmost is pure evolution theory. But I bet when you are one of the hindmost you are soon squeaking about it not being fair or right, as if those concepts have any place in that theory.

Did you really think ros should have an answer?
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 04:42 pm
spendi
Quote:
You refused to even consider my suggestions for a background for a portrait you were doing as an alternative to the incongruous one you were thinking of and which any serious art critic would have laughed at. You hadn't even the manners to acknowledge my taking a little time to offer advice. You didn't want to know. You preferred to listen to those who complimented you by agreeing with you. A mutual stroking society sort of thing.
Are you an art critic also? wow, many dimensions of spendi, where I only thought you were 1 pint deep.

Did I blow you off in an art thread? can you point to it? Im sure Ive not remembered it as anything significant. Im usually very respectful on art lines since I can learn from all sorts of people and I usually listen intently.
What portrait? are you sure it was me ? or am I just the puddin du jour.

Maight I close by saying that not only did you NOT do anything with my question but when you claimed it was answered persuasivley, you couldnt defend your point

QED.

RL, dont you understand the falsifiability process is that its not whether its been falsified, its whethere it can be. In the case of BAiley, it was both
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:10 pm
Naw, like I said I thought you had missed it or ignored it. I just enjoy pushing your button.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:53 pm
Loved the "QED" fm.

If I had a quid for every time I have heard that, or a fancier version, I might be able to try the Indecent Proposal trick on the Vicar's wife who is not bad in the D-cup and buttock spread department and an expert on jam making and bottling fruit and I have seen her eyes light up at the mention of caning naughty boys. Sparkle might be better than "light up".

I can defend almost any point you care to mention mate assuming it isn't in forbidden territory which is a zone your favourite theory has no way of recognising.

Anybody who has read and understood I.A. Richards is a passable art critic. There's nothing to it. It's just a question of cutting out the bullshit. Such as the NYT recommendations of what frontispieces to display on the coffee table to impress visitors. Art is about how to pull birds. Artists, no matter how trying, have always exercised a fascination to ladies.

Quote:
Did I blow you off in an art thread? can you point to it?

How can I point to it. It's three months back. It's history. All I remember is that you weren't amenable to anything which didn't confirm your already established and rigidly fixed viewpoints. I presumed that you wished to portray your Irish relatives in a manner that pleased them and I have no objection to that. It just isn't art. It's just titty bottle bawling.

Obviously not very significant as you say. I assumed that you only asked for advice to provide an excuse to claim you are a painter as well as an expert in all other departments of life.

It's just like the other stuff isn't science. But I do hope that the portrait pleased them. I have a Joycean view of the Irish for better or for worse. You would never have caught James cleaning sea food out of the thrusters and that's a certainty. A scientific fact actually. He might have fried some mind you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:02 pm
Quote:
Artists, no matter how trying, have always exercised a fascination to ladies.

Except, of course, for the multitudes who've exercised a fascination with lads.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:09 pm
He had poor eyesight and that causes the other senses to be more alert.

And he drank miles more that what I dare do. He could really take it.

Read his book sometime when you have a couple of years to spare and see what piss-artists can do compared to c.i.'s sober efforts.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:21 pm
Hey Dawg-

I'm a lad. I never thought of myself as fascinating before. I'm dead easy to understand. Booze and bloomers is my bag.

Like Sancho- no work, soft beds, pots of ale and voluptuous women. What's fascinating about that? My tomcat is just the same apart from the ale. He prefers second-hand smoke blown at him. Funny thing is "taste".
0 Replies

patiodog

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:40 pm
There's no accounting for it (hence it is not taxed).
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:52 pm
Quote:
How can I point to it. It's three months back. It's history. All I remember is that you weren't amenable to anything which didn't confirm your already established and rigidly fixed viewpoints. I presumed that you wished to portray your Irish relatives in a manner that pleased them and I have no objection to that. It just isn't art. It's just titty bottle bawling.

Whew, now I know youre fulla ****.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:12 pm
Here's a link to my travelogue on Israel. Don't have PM privileges. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85196&start=10
0 Replies

real life

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:36 pm
hi Farmerman,

Do you find it strange that Dr Barnard seems to find no problem with the use of baboon hearts? Is he indifferent to evolution, or is he just more concerned with medicine?

In addition to Barnard, several other notable experts in the field were quoted and seemed to be supportive of Dr Bailey's work, including Dr. Lenfant of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, and Dr. John Collins, chief of cardiac surgery at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Are they also 'ignorant', as you termed Dr Bailey?

Let's also keep in mind that Dr. Stoller seems to have his own axe to grind. The article that Pauligirl posted is from http://www.curedisease.com/index.html, where we find this intro:

Quote:
Americans, Europeans, and Japanese For Medical Advancement promotes human wellness by exposing the lost opportunities for cures and the life-threatening results of animal-modeled biomedical research. We educate the public, showing how government and charities misspend medical research dollars and place us at grave risk.

Animal-modeled biomedical research yields results that cannot be safely applied to humans. It diverts research dollars that should be going to proven methods of curing human disease.

We disclose how industry introduces and keeps unhealthy and often deadly products in the marketplace through animal experiments.

and where some of Dr Stoller's other articles include

Rats! To Animal Models

and elsewhere he has published

"Experimentation on Animals Retards the Progress of Science,"

Hardly an 'unbiased' source, would you agree?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:20 pm
Lets take another look at the message brought by the messenger rl is attacking -

Quote:
Although warned by a colleague at a medical conference that his research was too incomplete to risk using human subjects, Bailey went ahead.
Baby Fae was not the first human to receive a primate xenograft. In a review of xenografts, the Council of Scientific Affairs of the American Medical Association noted a rapid rejection of all baboon transplants to humans. Nevertheless, Bailey claimed that the problems of rejection could be overcome by the "immature" state of an infant's immune system. After the operation, immunologists from around the world pointed out that the part of the immune system that rejects unmatched transplants is fully mature at birth. Furthermore, there is no way to match baboon hearts to human recipients, because baboons have no antigens in common with human tissue.

In an effort to safeguard patients, institutional review boards must first give permission for any human experiment. In an unconscionable lapse of ethics, the review board of Loma Linda Medical Center failed to live up to its obligations -- they gave Bailey permission for five baboon-to-human transplant experiments, having no reports documenting that even heart allotransplantation in infancy is successful. Furthermore, highly experimental procedures on children, such as a xenograft, require special permission from the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
In addition to these institutional and federal safeguards that should have protected Baby Fae, California's Protection of Human Subjects in Medical Experimentation Act (PHSMEA) requires that if informed consent is given in behalf of another person, the experimental procedure must meet certain criteria. California's Health and Safety Code ~24175, subsection (e) states, "Informed consent given by a person other than the human subject shall only be for medical experiments related to maintaining or improving the health of the human subject or related to obtaining information about a pathological condition of the human subject."
Because Bailey did not look for a human heart donor and did not refer Baby Fae elsewhere for attempted surgical repair, the highly experimental transplant was both unethical and unlawful. Dr. William Norwood at the Children's Hospital in Boston has been repairing left hypoplastic hearts since 1979. The survival rate of the Norwood procedure is now as high as 75 percent. Nevertheless, Baby Fae's consent form read, "Temporizing operation to extend the lives of babies like yours by a few months have generally been unsuccessful. We believe heart transplantation may offer hope of life for your baby. Laboratory research at Loma Linda University over the past seven years, including over 150 heart transplants in newborn animals, suggest that long term survival with appropriate growth and development may be possible following heart transplantation during the first week of life."

Following considerable controversy over the Baby Fae transplant, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) appointed a special committee charged with reviewing the procedures used by the university to assure that Baby Fae's relatives gave proper informed consent. The committee did not deal with the scientific basis for transplanting a baboon heart into a human. The committee found several weaknesses in the consent procedure. Specifically, the committee concluded that possibility of "long term survival" had been overstated and the protocol did not include searching for or transplanting a human heart.

Stoller didn't author the statements and findings of the Council of Scientific Affairs of the American Medical Association, "immunologists from around the world", and the National Institutes of Health, he merely cited their criticisms and condemnations of Bailey's methodology and conduct.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 02:53 am
c.i.-

How come you can't pm?

I get pms from mere enthusiasts and other lowly denizens. You're a Guru. Obviously not at photography though.

I watched NFL last night for half-an-hour. Even the camera work and commentary were dire compared to our cricket and soccer. The less said about the game the better. Why don't they use a white ball. I never knew where it was. Is it fixed? It looked like a job creation scheme to me. Why do all the players look like sperms on the longshots. What's the "ball in play time" for a match?
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 06:45 am
rl
Quote:
Do you find it strange that Dr Barnard seems to find no problem with the use of baboon hearts? Is he indifferent to evolution, or is he just more concerned with medicine?

He is, utterly and symmetrically dead, and hAS been since about 2000. At the close of his life barnard was outspoken AGAINST xenotransplantation for a number of reasons including the little 5% genetic differences between baboons and humans,
In the early 1990's a company created a transgenic pig that could be used to harvest all sorts of "sub organ" level parts (still not a full heart). They named the pigs after Barnards own children.

The rfact that someone may have early supported a procedure and then turned around and rejected it is quite common in many areas of science.Things dont just lay in a static pool . As new findings rae produced, these findings alter our interpretations. There is no way that opinions become "assigned for life" Thats just stupid science entirely.

My only dog in this fight has, and remains, the concept of implied falsifiability. I think thats precious. Conferred genetic differences are significant even in the light of evolution . Speciation has still another definition
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 06:52 am
ci
Quote:
Here's a link to my travelogue on Israel. Don't have PM privileges. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85196&start=10

Thanks ci. Ill drop over and visit. I hope to see some spots I can remember.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:03 am
stuh505 wrote:
However, I think that timberlandko is making a slightly different point here. The point is that the way that a person thinks can be trained, and while evolution itself may not be important, a person who is raised to believe in something else has been training their brain to think illogically, and therefore they will not be capable of making logical decisions that can be trusted because the whole network of their brain is not functioning on the same level as someone who has learned to think rationally and critically.

timberlandko wrote:
You got it, stuh.

I agree that critical thinking is important for schools to teach. The world is full of kooks, and schools have a duty to prepare their students for this world. But critical thinking is anti-taught when everything the teacher says is true by definition, and schools never teach anything "false" as defined by the school board. On the other hand, what better teaches critical thinking than listening to their teacher spewing nonsense? What better way is there to teach skepticism than to confront young minds a kook up-close, in the person of their own teacher? You don't teach critical though by telling children the truth. You teach it by bullshîtting them and hoping they don't buy it. For that, giving ID equal time is just the ticket.

I'm still against teaching ID in schools, but I wouldn't even touch with a glove the argument "we have to teach our kids critical thinking". This cuts both ways at best, and undermines your conclusion at worst.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:03 am
One other thing rl. Most of the xenotransplantation has pre dated the discovery from the genome project. The physicians counted on the similarities of the transplanted organ to outweigh the differences. When the differences became known and it was realized that a 5% factor and even the 2% factor can result in added risks that may be unbacceptable to the procedure. UK and US took a different road by concentrating on transgenetic "parts" of a tissue level.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:55 am
Thomas wrote:
On the other hand, what better teaches critical thinking than listening to their teacher spewing nonsense? What better way is there to teach skepticism than to confront young minds a kook up-close, in the person of their own teacher? You don't teach critical though by telling children the truth. You teach it by bullshîtting them and hoping they don't buy it. For that, giving ID equal time is just the ticket.

This would be okay at the university level, Thomas. Would you expect students at the elementary and secondary levels to question what their teachers tell them? I believe younger students would either be too trusting or too intimidated to question anything.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:41 am
wandeljw wrote:
This would be okay at the university level, Thomas. Would you expect students at the elementary and secondary levels to question what their teachers tell them? I believe younger students would either be too trusting or too intimidated to question anything.

Fair enough. In this case, though, high school students aren't being taught critical thinking, so teaching them evolution cannot be important for it.
0 Replies